Frustrated with .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted
Aaarrrrgggh !

Gun: Ruger 77-Hornet
Scope: Redfield 18x

Hi, Been reloading since 1969 and am shooting the above rifle trying to find the most accurate Hornet load.

So far, have tried at least 7 different bullets and 3 different powders. Over 300 rounds have been run through it.

My BEST groups are no better than 1 1/2" and run to over 4" at 100 yards. Groups are very erratic at best. One load/bullet may produce 1 1/2 " on first try, then over 4 inches on the second.

The trigger has been changed out to a nice 2 pound after-market model. Gun is benched w/ solid front rest and sandbag rear.

I need some help from avid Hornet shooters. Is this cartridge really that finicky?

Is it the Ruger rifle? I can't afford an Anschutz but would I be better off with a CZ in .22 Hornet? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for bearing with me. "Bo" Cash, Morganton, NC

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that had a Hornet in a #3, and it shot about like what you are saying. If I recall, he said there was no way you could load a bullet and reach the lands. Perhaps that's the reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many have reported poor accuracy with that cartridge and that rifle. I have seen them in action as well. So sell it and shoot reduced loads from a .223. That will fix it.

What do you mean by a "solid front rest"?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Bo,

Welcome to the forms here!

If you use the search function you will find you are not the only one with accuracy problems with a ruger in 22 hornet. I am sure others who have been there and done that will chime in. My impression has been it might be better to trade the ruger in on a CZ, my rememberance is that the 2 piece bolt allows too much movement?

As for my own experiences, my brother has a Ruger #1 in 22 hornet and the best bullet we have found so far is the 40 grain silvertip from Combined Technology. It seems to shoot well with most powders. we have also found most all bullets over 45 grains will not stabilize.

Just remember this is all supposed to be fun! Smiler

Regards,

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes the hornet is really finicky and Ive seen differrences in accuracy with 0,2 grains change in powder.
Yes its true that most hornet rifles on the market have too long throats.Thats why on my BRNO (CZ) I load so the bullets almost touch the lands but I have to single load them cos they dont fit in the mag.If I however use the same load and only seat the bullet deeper so it will fit in the mag the groups open up from about ,700" to more like 1,2" at 100meters.
I would buy the CZ as they have for the last 40+ years oroven to be the most accurate rifles for the hornet.
Good luck.
Össi Iceland
And yes Ive also heard that shimming the bolt on the ruger might help.

Posts: 75 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Savage99: What I meant by a "solid front rest" was one of those fancy Caldwell bench rests with all the adjustments, not just a sandbag.
I do have a Ruger #1 in .223 that is a tack driver. I just want so much for this Hornet to make better groups. It is a lightweight repeater that I would like to carry for varmit hunting. The # 1 obviously is not a repeater and heavier.

Mark, Ossi_Iceland and others. MANY thanks for your welcome and suggestions. Interesting what you said about bullets over 45 grains not stabilizing. I have shot Hornady V-max in both 40 grain and 50 grain loadings in this rifle. While I thought the 50 grainers would be the ticket, the 40 grain version has done the best so far. I even tried Hornady 52 gr. A-max but they flopped.

Sierra 40 HP, Sierra Hornet 40 and 45 grainers have been tried, and Remington 45 gr HP Hornet bulk bullets. While some of the other 40 grain groups were not bad, none of them proved consistant in different strings fired.

Are the 50 grain bullets just too long to stabilize in this cartridge?

My next door neighbor has a Ruger #1 in the Hornet and his rifle has not impressed me either as of yet.

I would dearly love to find someone that has been able to compare the Ruger M77 Hornet with the CZ with the same loadings.

MANY THANKS ALL !! Bo Cash

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the 5 or so .22 Hornets I have oowned would do more than your 1 1/2 to 3 inch groups.
I got hard up and sold a #3 in Hornet at a gun Show. I ran up on the guy a year leter and he told me he bumped the load up to 1/2 grain over max and the load/group came in.

My current Hornet is a Ruger 77/22-Hornet. People are complaining about the Ruger not grouping. I had tried about every powder except 2400. I loaded up some [45 grain PSP] with 9.7 grains. I can not understand it! You can drop a DIME on the groups and draw a circle aroound them and never touch the group.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb
I own a CZ in .22 Hornet, and a Ruger formerly in .22 Hornet.
The CZ shoots great right out of the box, generally under 1" @ 100 yards for a 5-shot group.
The Ruger was a real pain, but by the time I converted it to .19 Calhoon it was reliably 3/4" @ 100 yards for 5-shot groups.
I use Winchester brass, Federal #100 small pistol primers, and Hodgdon's Lil'Gun powder. The Winchester case holds 13 to 13.2 grains of Lil'Gun. You can't fit enough Lil'Gun into a Hornet case to generate dangerous pressures.
As for my Ruger, it was shooting 4" patterns when I first got it. I bedded the action and first 2" of barrel, and free-floated the rest of the barrel. I replaced the trigger with a SpecTech adjustable, and installed a Volquartsen target sear.
The bolt shimming thing is because the Hornet case headspaces on the rim. If there is too much clearance in the bolt halves, the case "floats" around in the chamber. I installed a home-made .0015" shim in my bolt, and it made no improvement at all.
The Ruger really liked 40 grain V-Maxes and Berger 22/40 MEF's. I seated them about .020" off the lands. They didn't fit in the magazine, so I just fired it single-shot.
The CZ also likes the V-Maxes and Bergers, and the slower twist also does a good job with the 35 grain V-Maxes.
The two biggest improvements to accuracy, in the Ruger, was switching to small pistol primers and finding out about Lil'Gun.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

George is right. One of the real keys to loading a Hornet is small pistol primers. Avoid at all costs small rifle primers: that is simply too much primer for a powder column of 10-11 grains.

Precision is another key. I think someone also mentioned that. .10 grain variations in most other rifle loads are of no consequence. With a Hornet that is a 10% variation so, you really have to watch your scale or meter or dispenser.

I am getting .5 MOA groups with my CZ527. But, that was after a lot of trials and tribulations.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A couple of other Hornet tricks:
Lee collet dies work especially well on that tiny, thin brass case. You always keep a good shoulder for headspacing.
Lil Gun seems to work best for a large number of people.
Last resort, a lot of American guns are throated the same as bigger 22 caliber rounds with enough throat for 55 grain bullets. Just plain ignorance on the part of whomever is responsible for setting up the specs. The thrtoat ends up way too long for Hornet-weight bullets. Browning A-Bolts are an exception and most of them shoot quite well. You can set the barrel back and chamber it with a proper reamer and salvage most poor shooting Hornets.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bewildered BoCash3,

I can't give you any help with the Ruger; I've no experience with them but sounds like you got some great advice from others.

As for the .22 Hornet, the Germans & Austrians shoot countless 100,000's of Hornets a year in their Hunting Shooting competitions, primarily with Anschutz's and RWS .22 Hornet 46 grain Hollow Point factory ammunition. The groups and results obtained with these rifle/ammunition combinations are truly amazing, with .6 moa 5 shot groups nothing to write home about. Basically if your Anschutz/RWS gives you a group that can be covered with one (.5") target pastey then you're ready to sign up for a competition! I've an Anschutz Hornet that delivers similar results with high-priced factory ammunition but darn near went to the Confused looney bin bewildered trying to get the same results nut from my Hornet reloads. It got to the point I switched to the .222 Remington and Cool now I'm fit to live with again. I'm pretty good at squeezing itty-bitty groups from reloaded ammunition with virtually every other caliber/rifle combination I own except for the .22 Hornet.

Here's my tips for the best reloads I could ever squeeze out of the Hornet.

1. Very careful (exacting) adjustment of the reloading dies, the candle/soot/magnifying glass/adjusted to the rifle chamber routine!
2. Velocity levels that match .22 Hornet factory ammo, about 2550 fps.
3. Using the RWS 46 grain Hollow Point bullet they use in their factory ammo (probably a major show-stopper trying to obtain them in the US!).
4. Using either WW296, WW680, H-4227 & N-200 powders or a suitable powder that meters well without significant charge deviation from a powder measure.
5. The same A.O.L. as the RWS factory cartridges.
6. Small pistol primers.

As a last resort if you really want to keep the rifle I'd consider having it rechambered to .22 K-Hornet. I bet the cases would be much easier to work with.

Just sign me off as..... Big Grin .....gave up and went to the .222 Remington - it's all about choices!

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BoCash3,

Again, Welcome.

I have been shooting the Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet for quite a few years now. In the beginning it was a nightmare. Now it is a joy.

When I first started, I was getting 6" groups at 50 yards. I tried everything and then a few more things. I ended up sending it back to Ruger with a note explaining everything I did. When the rifle came back with a new barrel, it was improved...4" at 50 yards! Boxed it up again with a note saying don't send it back until it's fixed.

As soon as it got back, I realized that they were trying to make me happy. New barrel, new stock (prettiest piece of wood I have ever seen on a Ruger), and the best trigger I have ever felt on a factory rifle until the Cooper class. Now I was getting adequate groups... about 1" at 50 yards with the 40 Vmax.

I put it away for a while and when the 35 Vmax came out, I tried that. How cow, what a shooter! I am getting great accuracy now and the rifle has been my go to gun for everything varmint class out here in Wyoming. I cannot tell you how many varmints have been taken with this little honey.

In my experience, the Hornet ain't as bad or finicky as people claim. I am convinced that the Ruger rifle is the problem, but it can be fixed. It took me sending it back to Ruger twice, but now I have a rifle that I shoot a lot. In the long run, postage was a cheap way to get the rifle working as it should... Granted, I shouldn't have had to do it, but at least I didn't spend a fortune at a gunsmith either!

I'd say that with your experience of reloading, it isn't something you are doing wrong. If you get the rifle fixed, you'll enjoy the rifle.

In the end, I settled on a load of 12.5grs. IMR4227, 35 gr Vmax, CCI Small Rifle primer, and Remington brass. I prefer the Winchester brass, but the only way to get 12.5 grs of 4227 is to use Rem brass. I personally haven't found the primer to be any difference in the 22 Hornet, but I have heard a lot of people saying otherwise...

I love the 22 Hornet so I got myself a Ruger No 1. First load I tried was my standard 77/22 load. That is exactly where I stopped too! 10 rounds into less than 3/4" was good enough for me!

Hope this helps a little... maybe try the folks at Ruger. They fixed mine.

FIre Support Team

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I liked my .22 Hornet so much that I rebarreled it to .221 Fireball and haven't looked back.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning 1885 Low Wall in 22 Hornet. I have only shot factory ammo so far, but have got a 5/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards with Hornady 35gr VMax factory ammo. Winchester 46 gr HPs go about an inch, and shoot to the same POA as the Hornadys (bonus!). On the other hand, Remington 45 gr SP factory ammo goes between 2 and 3 inches, so a lot depends on the particular gun/ammo combination.

This doesn't help you much, other than to reassure you that the 22 Hornet can be accurate when everything comes together.

I think the 22 Hornet is worth working on. That's a mighty big gap between the modern .224 centrefires and the .22 rimfire magnum, and the 22 Hornet sits right in the middle!

Keep the faith!

Regards,
Ed

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got another .22 hornet in trade three weeks ago. This one shoots very well and I guess I will not rebarrel it. It is a shame that all of you have had such problems with the Ruger 77/22H. I wish they had gone to the one piece bolt in that like they did when they chambered the 77 for 44 Magnum. It might have saved you all some grief.

I did something with my Fireball that may help if you are building a Hornet from scratch. I loaded up the
bullets I intended to shoot in new brass at the seating depths that I wanted to use. I then used these to
decide the amount of leade (case mouth to beginning of rifling) and decided to have NONE. With the normal
1 degree taper into the rifling this is working well with my Fireball. Perhaps this would work on a Hornet.
The rifle I traded for seems to shoot well but I have not tried to determine the accuracy level yet. So far
I have just been shooting sage rats with it. Later I'll put a 36 power Leupold on it and test it. If I do
chose to set the barrel back to eliminate the leade I will post the before and after results. There just has
to be a way to get Hornets to shoot in something other than an Anschutz.

I guess I should note that the heaviest bullet I shoot is the 40 grain Ballistic tip or Vmax. Normally I shoot the 35 grain Hornady in the Hornet.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/22-Hornet in blue with a regular wood stock.
The Hornet is famous for 1 1/2 to 3 inch groups.
I shot 11.3 grains of IMR-4227 behind a 45 grain bullet for years. My best group was with 7.3 grains.
I was not satisfied with my 1 1/2 inch 11.3 group. I have plenty of 2400. I said what the heck and, tried the max load of 9.7 grains. The group came in at 100 yards.. You can cover it with a dime.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know your frustrations! But, Unless I missed it, why hasn't anyone told you about Lil'Gun powder. I have found NOTHING better for my Hornet. Mine will shoot 40 v-max and 55gr Sierra less than 1" consistently.

Also, the first time I removed the action from my Ruger 77 and put it back together after cleaning, I was ready to throw it in the closest river and vowed never to buy another Ruger. It would shoot a 1" group, then a 4" pattern, then a 2" group, then if I was lucky, another 1" group! Then I called Ruger customer service and told them my problem. As it turned out, I had to play with the torque on the action screws to get the harmonics back to where it would shoot. Trust me, even a 1/8" turn on one of the action screws made a tremendous difference.

Maybe you haven't messed with your screws, but maybe someone else did or maybe it came from the factory that way. Give Ruger a call and see if they can offer some assistance.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with above posts. Try small pistol primers. Also, use a flash hole uniformer to remover burrs of brass formed when the primer flash hole is punched out.

I use a simple twist model from K&M (got it from Lock stock and barrel). There are many models of flash hole uniformers. Avoid the designs that use the case mouth (overall case length) as the "depth stop." The K&M model's depth stop (not adjustable) is a collar around the cutter. When it hits the inside case web, you are done. You can't "over drill" with this model. You are putting bevel in the interior flash hole, as well as uniforming the flash hole with the devise. If you use a model that uses the case mouth (overal case length) you will get variable interior bevels. Ok, if you trim to perfectly uniform length first, but still not a great design, in my opinion. Lyman's model is like this. Avoid.

You may find group size reducing 25% or more by doing this. I find it one of the best things you can do to improve accuracy. What you are doing is allowing a constant spark to ignite the powder.

Pistol primers, and flash hole uniform the brass. Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
by now if you aren't having any good luck, just run a K-hornet reamer into it and you're all done

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Hornet for more years than I'd like to remember.I've never found it to be a hard cal to get along with .So I can reconmend the CZ.The only thing being the early "Bruno FOX" Mods were .223 not .224 & sometimes had headspace probs .But they were/are a nice outfit

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Hornets, a Ruger M77 stainless laminated and a Ruger #3. The M77 has the front of the receiver bedded and the trigger reworked to two pounds. The #3 is original.
The M77 will shoot under an inch all day with a 40 gr VMax seated to 1.910" over 13 grs of LilGun in WW cases with WSR primers. These loads won't fit the mag, I use it shingle shot style. I have two groups here from the last time out at .716" and .798", these are 5 shot groups at 100 Meters. The #3 shoots a bit bigger groups but it has only a 3-9X scope compared to the 6-24X on the M77.These loads do a solid 3000fps out of the M77's 24" barrel, a bit slower out of the #3.
Try the above mods and load in your M77.
Don't mess around with "Hornet" bullets. The Win 46 gr HP shoots 3" groups in both my rifles.
The consensus in my crowd of 4 Hornet shooter's is that there is no other powder or bullet than the LilGun/40 VMax combo even worth considering.
Try it.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must have gotten lucky. I bought one of the Ruger 77/22 hornets with the laminated stock and the 24" heavy stainless barrel. The first thing I did was have 6" cut off the barrel and re-crowned. Then I worked the trigger to just under a crisp 2 lbs. The first load I stuck in it was the starting load of Lil'gun with a 50gr Midway dogtown bullet seated to fit in the magazine, powered by WSR primers. It shoots at over 2500fps and shoots 1" or slightly better groups all day long.
Great little rifle. I stopped my load development right there. It tipped over a grey digger at about 250yds, not much for expansion but it certainly worked.
I hope you can find something that works for you.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do people continue to waste time and money on the stinking .22 Hornet? If you want something small, use the .221 Fireball. Also, the Ruger has a two piece bolt and not very accurate machining. Sell the POS.

Tell the manufacturers that you like the concept of a small .22 centerfire but that the Hornet sucks. Get them to come up with something else or vote with your wallets and buy things like the .221 Fireball. What about the old .218 Bee. Nice small case, better than the Hornet.

How about the old .222 Remington? Very well though out small capacity case. Not everyone has to shoot a .223 Remington.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am doing every thing wrong I took a CZ 22 Hornet out of the box with reloads and shot a 0.120 with 6 shots ! First time fired!!!!!!!
using small rifle primers V Max 40 grains Winchester brass
11 grains of H110 I think I got lucky as some of the problems I have been reading I would have sold it with those kinds of groups I wish I could offer some help . you know ignorance is bliss because I have no idea why it shoots.But acording to reading the above it says don't use small rifle primers I use them , I got lucky . I hope it holds or I like so many will get out of the 22 Hornet business.
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My A-bolt Hornet shot the factory 35gr Hornadys great. I have heard that Lee dies with a light crimp using little gun is the ticket. A company called conneticut precision will do an accuracy job and tighten the bolt pretty cheap. They supposedly can do wonders. They can also K it, the guy there says that really seems to help. I sold my 77, and bought a Browning Micro. I had the same results you had. The Browning now wears a 17 Ackley Hornet barrel, coolest fox gun on the planet IMO. The 77s are really nice guns. I wished I would not have quit on mine. Hang in there you will find the combo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornet is a finicky beggar in the best of times. Yet, Brno the forerunner of the CZ made it's reputation in N. America with the Hornet round. A good friend has one that it very accurate. I also have heard nightmarish stories concerning the Hornet and lack of accuracy in the Ruger. It's only been fairly recently that Ruger has been making their own barrels. That could have something to do with it. Personally I don't think a manufacturer should be allowed to sell a rifle unless it meets reasonable accuracy standards. These products cost too much money for us to be saddled with an inferior product. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I believe a great deal has to do with the individual rifle. I have had Rugers that shot well and some that shot poorly. Ruger problem is the rotary mag reduces bullet choices.

Using Winchester Factory Supreme ammunition I have 3 shot grps at 100 yards of 1/2" to 5/8".

My handloads are the Sierra 40 grain Hornet #1200 (I moly coated them)
13.6 grains 1680
WSR Primer WW Case
2665 FPS (Remains the best load in this rifle)
1/05/02 1/4" @ 100 yards (zero @ 100 yards)
1/20/95 7/16" @ 100 yds
8/21/95 12/16" @ 100 yds

Hope this helps....

quote:
Originally posted by BoCash3:
Aaarrrrgggh !

Hi, Been reloading since 1969 and am shooting the above rifle trying to find the most accurate Hornet load.

So far, have tried at least 7 different bullets and 3 different powders. Over 300 rounds have been run through it.

My BEST groups are no better than 1 1/2" and run to over 4" at 100 yards. Groups are very erratic at best. One load/bullet may produce 1 1/2 " on first try, then over 4 inches on the second.

The trigger has been changed out to a nice 2 pound after-market model. Gun is benched w/ solid front rest and sandbag rear.

I need some help from avid Hornet shooters. Is this cartridge really that finicky?

Is it the Ruger rifle? I can't afford an Anschutz but would I be better off with a CZ in .22 Hornet? Any other suggestions?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not that familiar with the Ruger 77 except that I've heard that there's a problem with the 2 piece bolt and that there's a way to tighten it up.

My Anschutz was a hit or miss situation untill I figured some problems out.

1. use the Lee Collet dies. I polished the mandrel down so I can size the neck down to .221 inches. By adjusting top cap, I can size the inside neck to .222 which seems to give the best retention with .224 bullets. I do not crimp.

2. Uniform the primer pockets and debur the flash hole of the cases. So far I have not turned the outside necks.

3. I use Win. brass, WSR primers, Lil Gun, 40 grain Blitz Kings seated to 1.800 inches all loaded to 2800fps.

4. Last groups I measured was 3/4, 6/10, 6/10, amd 7/16 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Hope that helps.

Joe A.

Posts: 150 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADISON:
None of the 5 or so .22 Hornets I have oowned would do more than your 1 1/2 to 3 inch groups.
I got hard up and sold a #3 in Hornet at a gun Show. I ran up on the guy a year leter and he told me he bumped the load up to 1/2 grain over max and the load/group came in.

My current Hornet is a Ruger 77/22-Hornet. People are complaining about the Ruger not grouping. I had tried about every powder except 2400. I loaded up some [45 grain PSP] with 9.7 grains. I can not understand it! You can drop a DIME on the groups and draw a circle aroound them and never touch the group.

Very nice Madison, that is less than half inch. Is that consistent?

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend getting a Cooper Model 38 if you are not happy with the Ruger platform. I've not seen a Cooper Hornet that was not a tack driver with good loads. They are not cheap, but back their rifles 100% accuracy wise.

My experiences with Rugers and the Hornet left a lot to be desired, but that was a long time ago years before Lil' Gun was introduced.

It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do. The Wild Bunch

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few hornets including a anschutz but that was years ago I just bought a CZ 527 american and it shoots great I use 13.2 grns of lil gun and a 40 vmax moly at 3000fps and that load will shoot under a half inch at 100 most groups at 1/4" and for a mild load I use 10.6 grns rel7 with a 45 grn sierra and that shoots around a half inch at 2200fps the 40 shoots 1.5 inches high at 100 and dead on at 190 and the 45 is dead on at 100.I also have a 221 fireball for a little more range and a 22-250 if i need more than fireball.But the CZ is a great little gun I modified the clip for the 40vmax so I could seat them out farther and carry another clip with the 45s

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad the only 22 Hornet I own is a CZ527. I was going to rebarrel it since I don't really give
a rip about the 22 Hornet. BUT, the little rifle shoots so well that I gave it a reprive. I like it so much now that I took the time to refinish it with a hand rubbed oil finish. I'm still not too enthused about the 22 Hornet case, but if you want to shoot a Hornet, sell off you Ruger 77 in Hornet if it doesn't shoot and get a CZ527.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Long time back, just after Al Gore invented the Internet, I opined that every person inclined to handload should start with the Hornet. I still feel pretty much the same way.

Its small capacity makes it somewhat...educational. So too does its thin walled case. You can't call yourself a handloader until you've done the cookie cutter trick on your thumb while loading Hornet cases. Wink People either love it or hate it so far as I know. For every Ruger 77/22H out there that does not shoot well there's a few that do. Same story for the #1 and 3. In my opinion it may have to do as much with barrel quality as anything else, but having said that I've had one of each that started miserably and ended up as my little darlings. Both will stabilize bullets as long as the Sierra 52 gr HPBT, and each has shot very well with different powders and bullets.

So with all the posts above there is a message in this thread, that being the cartridge will shoot, sometimes the gun, ammo, or gunner aren't up to the task. Stick with it, you'll learn something before it's over. For everything stated above about load techniques there are the experiences of others that are contrary. For an example, I've never found the use of small pistol primers beneficial, either in regards to accuracy or velocity spreads. OTOH, a lot of the above is perfectly valid. It's up to you to figure out what is and ain't.

I've tried it all at one time or another, learned how to make my guns shoot and that's good enough for me. Do whatever works, keep an open mind and you'll find success.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dm45winmag
posted Hide Post
I went to the range today and shot a 0.704 group at 50 yds using 11.5gr AA2015 and V-Max 40gr bullets.

I shoot a T/C Contender with a 14" barrel and 4x scope and shot from a solid rest.

I got the reloading info from the Accurate website. there is no place to set up a chronograph, so I don't know the actual velocity. the website data is for a 10" barrel so I'm guessing 1800 fps.

T/C Contender Shooter

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Brno ZKW465 22 hornet which is supposed to be (I've been told and read) one of the best.

It doesn't shoot good groups either. The only thoughts I have is -

a) I've not experimented enough with handloads.
b) The trouble is with the bloke doing the shooting.

Best regards,
quote:
Originally posted by BoCash3:
Aaarrrrgggh !

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dm45winmag
posted Hide Post
From all I've read, the 2 things to do to improve accuracy is:
1) neck size only
2) add a small crimp to the bullet even though the bullet doesn't have a cannelure.

T/C Contender Shooter

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience with my 77/22 in .22 Hornet that others have described. Bad groups with factory ammo and mostly awful with handloads. Sent back to Ruger and when it was returned there was no change. Sent back a second time and it came back with a note that said repaired barrel (?). Shoots great now and funny thing but, it's very easy to clean the barrel now. Very little resistance to patch with Hoppes. Go figure,,,,,

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1949 BRNO ZKW465 Hornet and love it, it is .223 but handles .224 bullets no trouble. My favourite load is 40 Gr V-Max with 13 grains of Lil' Gun, which is right around 2900 fps, it has a 20 inch barrel. For the brass I have a selection of Winchester and Remmington and it does not seem to make too much difference which I use. The same goes for primer's, small rifle or small pistol don't seem to make much difference. I use Lee dies and neck size only plus I give them a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. I don't get too anal about group sizes but they are under an inch @ 100yds, and there is a whole lot of rabbit's, crow's and foxes that have no reason to fault it's accuracy.

I have also tried cast 47 grain bullets in it using 9 grains of Vectan, SP3 I think it was, and it then turned into a rimfire WRM and accounted for a lot of rabbits.

I have had this gun for five or six years and it appears that I am one of the lucky ones, I seem to break a few of the Hornet loading rules, but I am still saddled with an accurate gun Roll Eyes

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy reply give the ruger to your kid buy a CZ 527 , some little lil'gun,

got 7 shots into 3/8 inch out of the box factory ammo Federal

End of problem
Bill H

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 77/22-Hornet is a rough gun to get to shoot. I used IMR 4227 and Winchester 680 and got about 1 1/2 inch groups.
I tried 9.7 grains of 2400 and now get a dime size group at 100 yards [Generic 45 grain bullet].