New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI BR-4 primers vs 400
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Before I go all ape shit trying to pin down some br primers for use in my 30PPC Largo I'd like to get your opinion as to if you believe there is any accuracy diffrence to be found betwixt the CCI BR-4 and STD 400 primers

Question:
CCI BR primers vs STD

Choices:
Yes using BR primers shrink groups
Can you say placebo

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely nothing upon which to base this vote. But it's gratifying to skew the data 100% in one direction. dancing

Varmint Al goes into great detail explaining primer pocket preparation --

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Varmint Al is a retired Structural Engineer from Lawrence/Livermore labs -- "The Atom Bomb People." Al's page is directed toward varmint shooting -- which is a variant of "benchrest."

Al also warns about vibratory media cleaning of cases and how the necks bumping together "work harden" them.

Al runs a bunch of other speculations on his site which could only come out of the head of a structural engineer. It's interesting to speculate what affects group size -- besides the trigger nut.

I think maybe he's over the top.

Here's another link which will have you spending more $$$ on smaller groups --

http://www.hevanet.com/temple/MatchPrep.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most competitive 30BR shooters use Federal 205M or plain Fed. 205. Winchester will come in next. I don't know of anybody that uses CCI primers.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i can get cci400 local. so i have been shooting at home with cci but shoot win. away from home. so far i cant tell the differance in a 6 ppc not a 30. i will get brave some day and try them for real.

Posts: 18 | Location: arkansas | Registered: 22 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray.
Guys, Ray is a very good benchrest shooter. He has a dog that may be as smart as he is though.
Welcome to the forum.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks butch,that is high praise indeed from someone i respect. but you do the poor dog a disservice, he has sense enough to get out of the rain and i dont.

Posts: 18 | Location: arkansas | Registered: 22 September 2009Reply With Quote