Notify
Tools

Pilatus Porter PC-6
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GSHM4LlMIM
All it that is $$$$$$ and lots of them to enjoy the bush plane of your dreams

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've some time in a PC-6 with a recip engine. Not quite as impressive as a turbine Porter, but pretty much fun to fly. I owned a Helio Courier at the time. Same idea, less power. I've also flown a Maule. There's a video somewhere showing a Maule taking off from inside a barn.

STOL is fascinating.

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a bird! That film looks to be 30 or 40 years old, eh?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would love to have the chance to fly the Pilatus and then the Helio Stallion on the same day for a comparison.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all
Labdad I agree that would be great fun.Fifty years flying this year and still flying a Beaver in the High Arctic all summer.Never flew a PC-6 but had a demo flight in one many years ago all I can say is Whow!
Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, some of those landings had some pucker factor to them! Looks like an interesting flight experience. I've flown in a few SNJ-6's at Warbirds, but never anything which could be classified as a bush plane.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out one of the videos where a PC-6 driver beats the skydivers he just took to 12,000feet back to the ground, by deploying full flaps and going vertical, nose down and passing his parachutists in freefall.

There are a couple of good videos on YouTube that show the PC-6 waiting STOPPED back on the apron while the parachutists are still dangling under their chutes.

That's a Ride I would prefer to watch from the ground with a long lens.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, at least you don't have to worry about any front cylinders shock cooling! Had a friend that was flying a King Air 90 in Hawaii descend into the water after a bunch of hops in one day.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to be able to get by with a 10 foot runway.
Cool plane.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by labdad:
Well, at least you don't have to worry about any front cylinders shock cooling! Had a friend that was flying a King Air 90 in Hawaii descend into the water after a bunch of hops in one day.

How does a comment on front cylinders shock cooling connect to someone ditching a King Air 90 which has only ever been made with PT6 turbo-prop engines?

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote