THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Wanted: cont. 470 running motor for experiments.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: cont. 470 running motor for experiments.
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Which ever model it isn't really important but I would prefer the io-470-u

It can be past tbo or even prop strike as I am going to experiment with alternate fuel injection and ignition systems.

What am I up to? When I look at the build blogs the guys spending months if not years figuring out the power plant. I am a bit of a gear head and the power plant is kinda my speciality.

I would be using one mag and a hall effect ignition system to for redundant safety and then using coil packs for spark on the alternat system. Tht allows me to play with timing etc

Next would be a fuel rail efi. The 470 has a horrible fuel delivery system in that cyl 1 and 2 are known for running rich when properly leaned. I will be building a carbon fiber manifold, eventually but would at first just go with either per port FI or fuel rail in a closed loop o2 sensor setup. Likely one sensor per cyl and an antiknock sensor.

I believe that the io-470-u with the higher compression pistons CAN run Mogas if the system is designed from the get go to be specific to use.

Fuel pumps? Three actually, and likely 5 on the plane. Two for primary one for backup and then two for redundancy for fuel management in the tanks

I am verify likely to build a bd-4c with a header tank and about halfway committed to making a carbon fiber spar vs thin walled tube spar. While the tube spare works great, for the weight and trouble I can make an outstanding cf tube at about 3x strength.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38545 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ps. Needs to be cheap or better still free. I would give it back without too bad of modifications if you would want. A running runout core would work.

The Efi and ignition systems won't be cheap and I would hope to get those working and ready for my actual engine.

Anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for the 470?

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here's a good place to start:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/k...-type=&keyword=o-470

Havijng said that, back in the day they used them for Ground Power Units (called GPU's) but I suspect you are aware of that.

My suggestion would be to have a project built on a 4 cylinder, they get exponentially more complicated and expensive after that. If you want to build up something engine wise, the VW's are still popular and you can buy or make your own dual plug heads for them. Then you can build up an entire engine that'll be yours and for much less investment. Also, it can fit into a LSA category which will be cheaper and less hassle to fly than anything that will use an O-470.

Just my 2 cents.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark. Thanks for looking out for me. I did a mechcanical FI on a bug is high school and converted my corvair to dual ford 2.3 carbs about the same time.

Really wanting to work on the 470 platform. Getting that moor to work is outside Lsa category due to hp.

Want a flying suv / minibus. And will get my ratings as such. Smiler

The 470 hits a sweet spot. They are cheaper than the 520 but all the tech is a bolt on to cut over.

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with flying a hauler, the problem is they all burn 12-15 GPH.

My personal approach would be to build something small and fun that is quick to build and a hoot to fly, then work out a deal with a C182 owner to use each others planes. An arrangement like this will get you into the air years earlier and then has a genuine 1000+ pound useful load for the times when you do want to go hunting in Colorado. The right Skylane owner will be overjoyed to have something he can fly that doesn't cost $5 to taxi to the run up area. Plus IMHO the smaller ones are "funner" to fly, so you'll use it more for the 95% of the time that you are not hauling a couple buddies cross country.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. Good stuff the think about.

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere around here I've got a 4cyl continental, a 1940's vintage O-170 (A65) engine that was converted into a powerplant for an AC generator.

A Friend suggested fuel injecting that using car engine parts
(it's never going to fly again) but what it really needs is more compression if we wanted better efficiency, 6.3 compression wouldn't be "happy" for what I'd really want to do with it... convert it to propane.... and run it kinda lean while watching the CHT.

I suppose it could be worse, the surplus dealer I got it from could have had an A50 version of the engine, they have 5.3:1 C/R...

but the 65hp engine worked out fone for a 25KW generator that takes 37hp to turn at max load.
(I've never gotten to half that load.)

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I still want a io-460-u. That is going to drive my bd-4

I have looked at a couple small planes. I just don't FIT in them

#dumptrump

476AR,