THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Remington 141 Gurus?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My local shop took in a Remington 141 that's somewhat unusual. This one has engraving on the receiver and some unusual checkering on the forend. I've see some D and F grade guns that were engraved, but much more elaborately than this one. Other than those grades, I've never seen one that didn't have just a plain receiver. Any thoughts?

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting old gun …
Rimless 30/30 Winchester

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An apprentices project gun? Lots of flat surface area, would make it a good one.

Posts: 6900 | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my guess it is a personal project and not a factory engraved gun. I would also assume the extra scope mount holes were done sometime later than the engraving.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
And a mfg date of 1940-41?

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect a project gun by someone outside the factory.

Graded engraved Remington model 14 /141 rifles had checkered forends. They did not use the grooved forend wood from the Field grades

Also, the guns ser# and the Remington name and the Model number designation would have been hand engraved on the bottom of the frame in that forward position where the roll marked/stamped serial number is on the OP's rifle.
That stamped ser# was standard for the Field (and I believe the B Grade) as well as the roll marked Remington name and Model designation being marked on the left side of the frame.

The latter being missing from the OP rifle is a simple flat polishing off of those markings with a belt grinder or a more tedious job by draw filing and polishing.
Either way, the final look is what the factory used on the Graded rifles to allow more room for engraving. They likely just pulled frames/rifles from the line before the ser# and LS markings were roll marked/stamped.

Model 8 rifles follow the same path.

The pattern does hint at a factory style of engraving, though it's not a strict copy of any of their patterns that I can recall.
The animal figures in the way they are cut, shaded and posed remind me of the ones done by the Winchester & Marlin engravers of the early 20thC period.
The scroll pattern and style reminds me of the Win/Marlin type as well.

They would do about anything the customer wanted of course, but I still believe it is someone's personal project,,and not a bad one at that.

Posts: 548 | Registered: 08 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do they want for it.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No price yet....he's trying to figure out what it is.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First center fire rifle I ever fired was a 141, 35. And I have 3 of them now. I was warned not to shoot it too much because ammo cost 15 cents a round! For you young guys, that was like $2 now.
Would not take a 30 though.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the frustration that went with that checkering pattern

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I can't imagine the frustration that went with that checkering pattern
Don't you think that the checkering was cut prior to the annular grooves?

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Cat:
Rimless 30/30 Winchester

It is true that the ballistics are essentially identical, but the case dimensions are somewhat different from the .30-30. They differ in much more than just the rims.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't you think that the checkering was cut prior to the annular grooves?

That's what I was thinking, otherwise it would be a nightmare!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammo seek shows some ammo is available…

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle... I'd add it to my collection if the price was right. Just my $.02.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post