The Accurate Reloading Forums
Summer colours & a roe buck 'Spiesser'

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/5441045062

10 July 2020, 13:32
Charlie64
Summer colours & a roe buck 'Spiesser'

I was out last evening planning to sit at a bait site for a pig. But the best made plans et cetera. I drove around the concession checking for crop damage and pig diggings. Nothing new to report, so thats good.

Summer is in full swing, the seasons paying no heed to C19! Wonderful colours and the crops in full strength! We have a couple of set aside areas where we have sown wild grass / flower mix as cover for the ground game. Some wonderful colours.

The Prunus spinosa bushes are full with ripening fruit! Those that know the plant and its fruit will know that I am planning to pick a few kilos later in the year and make some sloe gin this winter! The harvest looks promising!

I parked up and with my Springer bitch, took up in a small 'Kanzel' hoping for a European boar 'Überlaufer' for the freezer. Thick, dark green trees and bushes surrounded me.

At 21h15 an old doe came in. I have seen her a few times. She has no kid this year and is beyond breeding and starting to show signs of age with her hips and ribs showing through her bright red coat.

A short while later another red coat put in an appearance. A yearling buck. I have seen him before and noted him at the time as a cull buck.
He came in to the cut and stood broadside a few paces behind the doe. A PMP .30-06 round to the shoulder and he dropped on the spot.

I gralloched the deer, checking and finding the organs in good condition, and drove to the farm and hung him in the cooler, setting aside liver, heart and kidneys for the dog. A good young buck to take out and some excellent venison, despite a rather large PMP exit wound.

Returning to the 'Kanzel', I sat until 02.30 a.m. hoping to add to the bag with a boar, but nothing came in other than a large boar badger. Badger season opens in September.

I called it a night and was home half an hour later.

I am truly blessed being able to easily get out into the countryside and woods and hunt and shoot during what is an exceptionally challenging, difficult and confusing year for us all. And wild free range venison in the freezer is a bonus!

A young yearling Spiesser was my reward.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"
10 July 2020, 20:54
Hannay
Congrats, and thanks for the report! You are indeed blessed to be able to hunt now!

Reindeer & Geese, Iceland, 2023
Plains Game, Eastern Cape, 2023
Buff - Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe, 2022
Muskox-Greenland, 2020
Roe buck and muntjac in England, 2019
Unkomaas Valley, RSA, 2019
Kaokoland, Namibia, 2017
Wild boar hunting in Sweden, 2016
Moose hunting in Sweden, 2014

How to post photos on AR
11 August 2020, 04:18
Big Wonderful Wyoming
Waidsmanheil!
15 August 2020, 18:55
bwanamrm
Nice Charlie, well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.
18 August 2020, 21:33
LHeym500
Simply pastoral. Thank you for sharing.