The Accurate Reloading Forums
A wonderful day of walked up and driven hare!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5421043/m/1361005672

27 November 2023, 13:06
Charlie64
A wonderful day of walked up and driven hare!

A wonderful day of walked up and driven hare (Lepus europaeus) shooting. An invite for myself, my wife and our youngest son, for a day of walked up and driven hare amongst good friends some 30 mins drive from our home.

20 guns, 8 dogs and a bag of 29 hare after 4 drives. We worked the dogs - Labs, Munsterlaenders and our Springer bitch - over fields of clover, mustard seed and one large field of sugar beets. Our Springer bitch had a field day putting up lots or hares, pheasant (we were not shooting them but she didn't know that!) and a few rabbit. On one drive she put up 5 hares and 3 pheasant with her tail going the whole time! Wonderful to see! I was shooting an Aya side by side 20 bore and my wife her trusty Browning 20 bore over and under and we both rolled a few hares during the afternoon!

The weather gods smiled on us with no rain where we were shooting and a beautiful rainbow at the end of the shoot!

We finished the day with a bag of 14 1/2 brace of hare and the tones of the brass hunting horns signalling the end of the hunt and the bag of European hare on the ground. Wonderful traditions!

A fun day had by all and next weekend we get to do it all over again on a neighbouring concession!

And to finish off a modern E-Bike along with a 1910 Holland & Holland single trigger 12 bore and a 1932 Purdey self-opener 12 bore, fine guns on a fun days shooting!

Happy days!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"
30 November 2023, 20:20
Live Oak
Sounds like a wonderful time had by all. Thank you for sharing!
02 December 2023, 04:20
Hannay
Thanks Charlie - as always, an enjoyable report. Looks like fun.

Reindeer & Geese, Iceland, 2023
Plains Game, Eastern Cape, 2023
Buff - Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe, 2022
Muskox-Greenland, 2020
Roe buck and muntjac in England, 2019
Unkomaas Valley, RSA, 2019
Kaokoland, Namibia, 2017
Wild boar hunting in Sweden, 2016
Moose hunting in Sweden, 2014

How to post photos on AR