Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Beaver hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cold
posted
Have Beavers that need a little attention?
(ok that sounded bad....Im talking about the water based ones, which build damns with their tails haha...)

I am looking for a Beaver Mount for my collection and I was told that there are pockets of them in the North Texas area. Does anyone have a place that they have them on? I would, of course, be willing to compensate accordingly if someone could put me on a pair.

I dont know if these sort of "questions" get posted here or not but I thought id try, if Im breaking a code of conduct law, I appologize, but I didnt think I was going to, hence the post.

Also, if you would be interested in swaping a hunt, my ranch in Nebraska has 700 wild turkeys, prairie dogs and of course mule deer. Anyways feel free to email me

jonesja@mac.com

or post, thanks guys!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually they make kinda of a neat mount. look to the trappers, especially ones that go around some of the farm ponds & creeks. guys around here like that have gotten beavers over 60#'s

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted beaver in 13 years! Big Grin

Seriously though, when I used to trap I'd see one now and then and the trappers probably are your best bet. We didn't have many in Oregon where I grew up. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I have hunted No Wisconsin and No Minnesota, I have come across where beavers were.... Destructive little buggers to the forest.......

Toasted one once with a 444... I recommend using something a little lighter than that caliber on one... if you want to mount it... lol

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold: I know a VERY proficient and experienced Trapper who could provide you with a pelt suitable for full size mounting. Or are you intent upon harvesting your own Beaver with Rifle and ball? Then be sure to Hunt early and late in the days for them as they are often times mostly nocturnal. And check the local Hunting regulations.
I have two friends with full mounted Beavers and they are a beautiful and interesting mount! The panoram or scenes around the Beaver are part of the enjoyment of these mounts!
Good luck in your Hunt or search for a pelt!
I have a couple of observations for you regarding Beaver pelts. A few years ago my main man Trapper here in SW Montana brought to bag a huge all black colored Buck Beaver! I bought the skinned but not yet tanned pelt! Now you may ask "aren't all Beavers black in color"?. No is the answer there. When wet they all look blackish in the wild but when dry the pelt colors are mostly varying shades of brown and tan and I have seen many that had red in them as well as silvers and grays! Black pelts (all black) are VERY rare and I was happy to pay $50.00 to my Trapper friend for this rare and very beautiful all black Beaver pelt! Well I took that pelt to a taxidermist (first mistake!!!) and asked them to send it to their best tannery for tanning and then I would have it made into a circular wall mounted rug type thingy! This huge Beaver pelt was classified as a super-blanket size (the largest size pelt) and I was very excited about its addition to my homes walls!
Not to be though!
The taxidermist called me up some months later and said your pelt is ready! I drove to the taxidermist shop and was surprised to see only the taxidermists WIFE there. She brought out a Beaver pelt and asked for $60.00 in payment. I told her she had the wrong pelt as I had brought to her husband a super-blanket size all black pelt and she was trying to slough off a kit size (smallest size pelt), gray and reddish brown Beaver pelt onto me!
A direct discussion ensued!
To make that part of the story shorter the "taxidermist" claimed the tannery stole my huge, rare and beautiful Beaver pelt and the "tannery" claimed the taxidermist stole my huge, rare and beautiful Beaver pelt!
Either way some shitbird has my huge rare and beautiful Beaver pelt and I have been waiting ever since for my Trapper friend to get another Beaver of that type, size and quality!
No luck.
Lesson - be careful who you do business with!
I wish that incident was the only time I have been shafted by Taxidermists - sadly its not!
Let me know if I can contact my friend regarding a full pelt for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good beaver hunt is one of life's pleasures. I got a depradation permit in MN and shot a few four years ago. It was a different kind of hunt, but fun.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Beavers are best hunted in the late evening. They are social animals prefering dimly lit huants with swathes of green velvet and a neon glow. (oops sorry flash backs Smiler )

On a more serious note, in many places I have been, beavers can not be shot, they must be trapped. So check the game laws before popping one.

And don't get greedy, 16 will get you 20 Wink

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote