Find
Notify
Tools

Accutrigger info needed !!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll Eyes On an earlier thread I expressed my interest in getting a Savage 12BVss-s w/ accutrigger. Since, I've talked to a few owners of such at the range and am getting a mixed bag as far as the quality of the accutrigger. Does anyone here have any good , bad or indifferent experiences they will share on this trigger?

The accuracy they are getting once their trigger problems are corrected seems to be acceptable.

Please advise. Smilerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have never had any trouble with mine, I think it's great.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
bartsche,

I've got a 12FP in .223 with the accutrigger and really like it and have never heard of anyone I know of (locals, people I've shot sage poodles with) having any trouble with one.

Some people don't like the blade gizmo, others don't care. I'm not crazy about it, its a safety trade off that I'm willing to take.

The adjustability is great!

Some people just hate anything "savage" and will do whatever they can to slam it as a way of protecting their favorite brand. Other people just plain old don't like it for good reasons.

If you like the rifle and you don't mind the blade on the trigger, please don't let rumors of quality problems keep you from buying a fantastic rifle. Every rifle maker has problems now and again, shouldn't keep us from buying what we want.

I was shooting PD's in central Montana two weeks ago and a guy let me try his Rem 700 trigger that he adjusted himself. The trigger was awesome ('bout the same as the accutrigger) as was the rest of the rifle (awesome stock, fine blued barrel, stainless action). My synthetic, "rough" blued Savage looked crummy by comparison. We both had the same amount of fun, I can assure you.

For me it boils down to money. If I want an off the shelf rat shooting machine for a good price I'll go with Savage. If I've got some money for customization and want a really nice looking rifle, I'll get a Rem 700.

Two girls + mortgage + gas prices = savage

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I have fired 2-3000 rnds thru my 12BVSS in 223 with Acu-trigger.
Never had any problems.

Savage in the past has had one of the best customer service departments I have dealt with.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
clapWell I guess I'l just have to put one on order. Thanks guys. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
For the money, I can't imagine you will be disappointed. They just flat work.

If you want a nicer looking gun, pony up for the next model up with laminated wood stock (about $100 more). Looks as good as the "more expensive brands" and usually shoots better than they do with LESS fiddling.

JMHO.

Whatever you do, enjoy...thumb

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the Savage trigger problems are overblown. My first Savage was a 338 WM pre-accutrigger. The trigger had been tuned before I bought the rifle and breaks crisply @ 3-3.5#. Second was a 10 FP w/accutrigger in .223; came from factory set @ 1.5#. Took a bit of "getting used to" and I plan to adjust it a bit heavier for field use (Just my preference, as have had no problems with it.)

My latest Savage is a 375 h&h Safari Express, pre-accutrigger. It came with a heavier trigger than I like, but a trip to my gunsmith brought it down to a very crisp 3#.

Each of these rifles are honest sub moa rifles and on a good day the .223 will go sub .5 moa. Best to date on the other two is 5/8" 5 shot hundred yard groups.

Only problem I have had (with all three rifles) is finding the safety; no matter how many times I feel for it on the back end of the bolt, it still isn't there! Wink

Give 'em a try; I think you'll like the way they shoot!

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my accutrigger, and have never had a problem with it, and don't know of any of my friends who have it having had a problem with it. In fact, the only complaint I've ever heard about the accutrigger is that some people don't like the "feel" of the blade take-up. Personally, and probably because I started shooting pistols before rifles, I like having the take-up before the trigger breaks... I would bet that if you get one, you'll have no complaints.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the trigger. I wrote a story about the Savage Mod12 that was published in Varmint Hunter. You can read it on my website.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger:

I bought one of the original early model accutriggers 12BVSS, in 223 for a person I know who is handicapped and loves to shoot....

I purchased her this rifle gave her a 17 HMR that Marlin redid for me. It was a 22 Mag that shot horrible.... I told them that it was to be given to a handicapped lady ( friend of the family). Marlin not only rebarreled it to 17 at no cost, but took off the crappy sythetic stock, put on a new laminated stock and also did a trigger job for her.... All at no Charge!

She has done well with both rifles....
She loves her Savage as much as her 300 Weatherby, and that is saying a lot!

Good luck with your purchase there my friend.....

I may be down in So Cal, sometime in early July... If I am coming down, I may end up sending you and email and if I am luck we can finally get to meet each other face to face!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
I have a model 112 Bvss in a 7mmRM with the accu-trigger 2 which goes down to 1 1/2 lbs. It is crisp but still safe. I really like it. Several of my friends have shot it as well and they all think it is great. in fact a couple have bought savages with accu-triggers since then and a couple more are talking about it. I don't think you can go wrong.

The 112 is also very accurate about 1/4 moa I think you will be pleased.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the "free travel" before you touch the real trigger is a safety since there is no free travel in the sear, at least on the accutrigger that I have. Without it it would be a little scary and an accident looking for a place to happen IMHO

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Roger:

I may be down in So Cal, sometime in early July... If I am coming down, I may end up sending you and email and if I am luck we can finally get to meet each other face to face!

cheers
seafire
thumb

looking forward to it claproger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbThanks to all; I went out and bought it this afternoon. gunsmileroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
The purpose of the "free travel" before you touch the real trigger is a safety since there is no free travel in the sear, at least on the accutrigger that I have. Without it it would be a little scary and an accident looking for a place to happen IMHO

The blade is a safety; try pulling the trigger without depressing the blade. It will not fire.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Maybe just a note of caution? Not sure?

Maybe because my Savage 12FLP is quite new I'm not sure. There is a small amount of creep. When I start to pull the trigger there is about an 1/8" creep, this is after the blade is finished being engaged. I took the trigger apart cleaned it and polished it and the sear. With no help.
I keep hearing how good the trigger is "for the $". Right now any Remington 700 trigger that's been cleaned and adjusted by a gunsmith is, in my opinion a much better trigger.
Maybe this problem will go away, the rifle has only had about 80 rnds of .308 thru it.
Maybe know one notices this creep, once reached it breaks clean, but it hard to reach this point. Has anyone had this problem? Or a solution to it? Thanks

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I like the trigger. I wrote a story about the Savage Mod12 that was published in Varmint Hunter. You can read it on my website.

clapNice write up. Thanks roger jumpfour more days

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AI22-250:
Maybe just a note of caution? Not sure?

Maybe because my Savage 12FLP is quite new I'm not sure. There is a small amount of creep. When I start to pull the trigger there is about an 1/8" creep, this is after the blade is finished being engaged. I took the trigger apart cleaned it and polished it and the sear. With no help.
I keep hearing how good the trigger is "for the $".
Right now any Remington 700 trigger that's been cleaned and adjusted by a gunsmith is, in my opinion a much better trigger.
Maybe this problem will go away, the rifle has only had about 80 rnds of .308 thru it.
Maybe know one notices this creep, once reached it breaks clean, but it hard to reach this point. Has anyone had this problem? Or a solution to it? Thanks

Just had a 12VLP in the shop yesterday and mounted a scope on it.
Zero creep, never been adjusted by anybody but the factory.

I would go to somebody you trust to look at it first, just to make sure you didn’t miss anything.
I’ve missed easy stuff myself on occasion… Big Grin

If he says he can’t find anything, then I would call Savage and see what they will do:

Phone: (413) 568-7001
Fax: (413) 568-8386
General Business Hours:
Monday-Friday 8:30AM - 4:30PM EST
Service Dept Hours:
9AM to 4:15pm EST
by Mail:
Savage Arms, Inc.
100 Springdale Road
Westfield, MA 01085

DON’T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Been on Vacation, took the 12FLV with me, I took a small file and took some small rough spots on the sear edges off, being careful not to round the front edge, I put a small amount of fairly heavy oil with some graphite in it, after another dozen rounds the small amount of creep seemed to be better. Groups are getting smaller and I'm getting use to the 8x32 Elite. All in all a very nice rifle. I put an SSS bolt handle on it and I've found a nice after market nutmeg laminated stock. It's turned into a very nice rifle. I think I'll start looking for another barrel and bolt head for a WSM cal. Having fun. Thanks

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the simplicity and feel of the accutrigger on my VLP......but I have not been able to get the "advertised 1 1/2 Pound" they claim it will do nor have I seen one yet personally that would. Their customer service may be great, but when I called them to send me another spring so I could swap it out to see if that would lighten it up, they said I would have to ship the rifle back to them so they could do it. I pretty much thought that sucked seeing as how they advertise their trigger to easily adjusted by the shooter.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sll:
I like the simplicity and feel of the accutrigger on my VLP......but I have not been able to get the "advertised 1 1/2 Pound" they claim it will do nor have I seen one yet personally that would. Their customer service may be great, but when I called them to send me another spring so I could swap it out to see if that would lighten it up, they said I would have to ship the rifle back to them so they could do it. I pretty much thought that sucked seeing as how they advertise their trigger to easily adjusted by the shooter.

Here is the info from the Savage website:

The AccuTriggerâ„¢ is available in all 12 Series Varmint, Law Enforcement, Muzzleloaders, the Model 40 Varmint Hunter, and most centerfire hunting models, including the Package Series. The adjustability range varies depending on the model.

In centerfire hunting models, muzzleloaders, and the Model 40 Varmint Hunter, the AccuTriggerâ„¢ is adjustable from approximately 2 1/2 to 6 lbs. In the 12 Series Varmint and Law Enforcement Series, the AccuTrigger is adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs.

Maybe they put the wrong spring in it or maybe they are changing the limit to 2 ½ lbs on all, and just don’t want to say so yet…

I recently shot a rifle at the range that belonged to a guy that hangs around out there.
The sear broke like glass. Probably the smoothest trigger outside of my varminter, I’ve ever shot.

After shooting it and turning out a good group, he asked me what I thought of the trigger. I told him it was really good, REALLY GOOD. He asked me what I thought it broke at. I guessed 1 ½ lbs.
He told me it broke right at 3. I was floored.

There was zero creep, and no overtravel.
It just went “snap.â€

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read that also and they still said they would not send me another spring. Mine has NO creep what-so-ever and I am happy with it. I just expect a company to provide a product "out of the box" and it do like they say it will. Mine goes off at 2 pounds and 9 ounces....it's lowest setting. I took a friends spring out of his VLP and put in mine and it went at 2-7.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sll:
I read that also and they still said they would not send me another spring. Mine has NO creep what-so-ever and I am happy with it. I just expect a company to provide a product "out of the box" and it do like they say it will. Mine goes off at 2 pounds and 9 ounces....it's lowest setting. I took a friends spring out of his VLP and put in mine and it went at 2-7.

If you are happy with it, why does it matter?
Pounds don't make a difference if the end result is good.
Nevermind...

Sll, call Savage back. Ask EVERY person you talk to for their name.
WRITE IT DOWN. Make a point of asking for correct spelling, that way they know you are writing it down.

Do this for every person you talk to.

Then ask whoever you talk to for the name of the person in charge of customer relations.
WRITE IT DOWN. Then ask to speak to that person. If they hesitate or deny you, thank them (or find out when the person will be in if they are out) CALL BACK and ask for the person BY NAME.

When you finally talk to the person in charge tell them first how happy you are with their product (stroke their ego some). Everybody likes to hear good stuff about themselves or their products (especially before you tell them you don't so much).

Describe the nature of the problem to them AND DON'T GET PISSED, just tell them what the problem is and you want. Tell them you took the gun to a competent gun smith and he measured the pull at 2lb, 9 oz and that was at the bottom of the adjustment.
(Don't tell them you switched out the spring with another) Tell them that he can install the new spring and check the gun out after ward.

You would be surprised how far you can get if you ARE VERY NICE and PROFESSIONAL.

Let me know how it goes.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
uh-huh....what Flippy said.......only I didn't have
to go that far. My sear spring flew out into the
wild blue yonder when taking the trigger assembly
apart for bedding the rifle. At first they said the
rifle would have to be sent back, but after asking
if they could please just send it to my gunsmith,
she asked the supervisor and he said, "Oh, well,
just send him one." They do seem to be a little
touchy about their Accu-Trigger parts, though.

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will let you know how it went.....public relations is my game and I gave it a chance....unbiased. I decided 'screw that' and gave it a shot. That did not pan out. I am not a player of words , mind you. The common person, that I represent, wants what everyone else I feel would like.... THE TRUTH. So Help Me GOD!!!