THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Coyotes - Morning or Evening Better in the Summer?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes - Morning or Evening Better in the Summer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you guys think is better for coyotes - morning or evening during the summer? In AZ, I have had better success in the evening, but I rarely go in the evening. I always thought morning would be better as the day was the coolest. Now I think maybe the dogs have had their fill when the sun comes up.

Opinions? It is really hot in the desert during the summer, so I never hunt all day.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to hunt any time I can but the evening is definitely the most productive for me - in CA you can hunt coyote at night so the evening just rolls into a night hunt which is pretty good also - have had better luck in the evening in every season also not just summer

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I hunt them here on the Palouse where it only averages about 95-100 during the summer afternoons, I have had the most success between 2-3 hours after sun up. I have tried late afternoons and into the evening and rarely spot them. I think the varying habits throughout different parts of N. America goes to show how adaptable canis latrans is to local conditions!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAzWriter: I am not sure if night spotlighting is legal in your area but if it is I see more Coyotes in late nights during the summers here in Montana!
The reason, I am surmising, is the new crops of Jack Rabbits and Cottontailed Rabbits that are also more active during night times here! I also shoot a few Jack rabbits at night with the spotlight here in SW Montana.
That is fun!
But the last couple hours of night time and first two hours of morning are great calling times for me Coyote wise during summers!
Now, here in late summer - early fall, the yearling Coyotes are out and about and they are not call shy so Hunting is good even if the pelts are not prime.
I am not much of a pelt saver and I Hunt the Coyotes to try and reduce the burden (impact) on Mule Deer fawns and yearlings hereabouts!
Good luck down Arizona way when you get out again!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote