THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Range Report on Rem XR-100 .223

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report on Rem XR-100 .223
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I posted this in the Single Shot Rifles but have not received any response. I am pleased with the rifle and plan on working up some reloads with various bullets. You might find what happened when I went to the range interesting if not on the end you will find out my group size. If you have time read it and let me know what you think.

Link
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/900101253

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Swede,

That is one incredible group. If that is out of the box accuracy, with no load development, you have a real shooter there. I am impressed.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one this spring in .223 and with no barrel break-in and using a generic load, the first five 5 shot groups I fired agg'd .6something. I went to a bench rest match this fall -I was shooting factory, not bench- and the stool shooters kept coming by asking what all had I done to the rifle. When I told them I had cleaned the bore and adjusted the trigger, they went away looking kinda pissed.

Mind you, I didn't shoot any .1's but I haven't been able to shoot at all this past summer and had I been competing at bench, I'd still have placed in the top third.

Lastly, the rifle cleans like a dream.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Swede,
Good to see you are getting results that you can be happy with. I think Remington put a nice rifle on the market and believe it will get more attention when folks like beeman are carrying them to competitions and placing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag: I have something to say!
WOW! Right on!
And good for you and good for Remington!
I may just have to buy another XR-100 in 223 Remington it looks like!
KEEEERUMMMBBAAAAH! That is a great group you shot there!
I have been in frustrating range situations before - like you had with your 15 shots and nothing on paper fix!
I am so glad you eventually got it "printing" on paper! Like I said I have been there done that!
And for you to shoot such a great grouping with factory ammo - well I guess that is just even more impressive!
I shot a .322" five shot group at 100 yards with my XR-100 in caliber 204 Ruger! But that was with handloads and expensive bullets (Sierra BlitzKings)!
More later and congratulations again on your great grouping!
I am impressed!
By the way what scope do you have on your XR-100?
And what a great thing there that you can enjoy the day at the range with your father!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iwzbeeman: Can you fill us in on some of your "best groups" you have fired with your XR-100?
Also which scope are you using?
I also am impressed with the ease of which my XR-100 cleans! Mine is in caliber 204 Ruger though.
My XR-100 in 204 Ruger put the whack on a huge Porcupine just today here in SW Montana.
My XR-100 will be used for Varminting 99% of the time from now on!
WAY in the back of my mind is the slightest glimmer of worry regarding the barrel life of my XR-100 due to the newish caliber (204 Ruger) and its unkown barrel erosion "quotient"! And the fact that it is not a stainless barrel? Like I say this is just a slight glimmer of worry and I have no evidence as yet of undue barrel wear with this cartridge!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy:

I have a Leupold 8.5 x 25 x 40mm on top of my XR-100 .223 I need to adjust the eye piece on it the cross hairs are a little out of focus. I was using the factory Winchester bullets to sight in the rifle. I was amazed that the factory ammo shot so well.
I ran out of time it was getting hot and I had the shakes due to diabetes (my blood sugar was to low.)

The bullets I plan on using will consist of Hornady 50gr varmint bullet with the red plastic tip (A-Max ?), Sierra 52gr Match King, and Nosler 55gr Ballistic tip, using H 335. I also have some Sierra Blitz King bullets but can’t remember the weight and didn't have time to load any of them.

I have read several posts on how good peoples groups were, but haven't read anything on the problems they had sighting in there scopes or getting a rifle to group. I am not criticizing any one I just thought it would be interesting to post some of the problems I occurred on my first time to the range with the XR-100.

I chose the caliber for it’s readily available of factory loads, brass, and wide selection of bullets and low recoil. It is nice to be able to see a P-Dog vaporize.

Have a great weekend and thanks for your kind reply.

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag: That is the same exact scope I have on my XR-100! What a coincidence that!
One of my oldest friends (37+ years of friendship) came down with Diabetes a few years ago. He and I and two other Hunters just completed a combination Antelope and Varmint Safari to east central Montana (yes Montana is so big that the area we Hunted is properly described as east central!) last week.
My friend is a few years older than I am and is about to turn 61 years old. He is going to retire this January and we hope to do more (a lot more) Hunting and fishing together after that.
He (and we) took extra care to make sure his supplies and food were nearby at all times during our Hunting and our travels.
Please take care of yourself and no problem with you cutting your shooting session short to get to your eats!
One other word of caution here on the Varmint forum. I saw that you intend on using (or at least trying) the wonderful Sierra 52 grainers in your 223. These are amazingly accurate bullets and I began using them at least 30 years ago. I eventually quit using them though for my Varminting. They are simply way to "hard" for any type expansion and self destruction to reliably occurr, once they strike a Varmint or the ground.
These bullets are extremely prone to ricochet in other words.
So be advised in that regard in case you are not aware of this propensity of these very accurate bullets!
Wishing you continued good luck with the XR-100! Keep us advised!
For all intents and purposes I am done at the range with my XR-100. It is shooting the Sierra 32's (BlitzKings) so well that the only time I envision it going to the range in the future is for sight in verification!
Again kudos to you and to Remington on the great group!
More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy:
Thanks for the Heads Up on the Sierra Match King bullets. Do you find the Blitz Kings to not have the ricochet problem?

I used to use soft point bullets for P-Dogs because they exploded more reliable with the .223, more red mists, but they were not nearly as accurate. The bullet that my 1st Remington .223 Varmint rifle liked the best was 52gr Nosler Match, but Nosler discontinued them for some reason.

What is the farthest distance in your opinion that you find the .204 to be a reliable kill on P-Dogs? I have heard stories that the .204 is capable of up to 4000fps but I have also read the same on the .223 factory box that Winchester makes. It seems to me that speed does not always mean accuracy.

I will try to post some pics of my groups when I have the time, and gas, to out to the range again.

Once again thanks for the reply’s it is a pleasure to read your posts I always find them interesting.

Swede

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag: I got my first 204 Ruger last year in August and its was along on two short Prairie Dog Hunts. I killed PD's out to around 400 yards with it then. I did not have the opportunity to try any 500 yards shots with it! I did take Coyote, Rock Chuck, Skunks, Ground Squirrels, a Badger and several variety of flying Varmints with it all out to and under 400 yards with that one. Then this past winter with the wonderful impressions of that 204's performance fresh in my mind I bought two more Varmint Rifles in 204 Ruger caliber. I fully intended to make some extended Prairie Dog Hunts with these three 204's being my main go to Rifles. Well some high paying hired gun work came up out on the west coast and I spent 8 spaced out weeks (the weeks were "seperated" - I was not high!) out there this spring and summer AND I could not get my hands on much brass til late this spring and then in August I was bit by a Rattle Snake and I was off line for several weeks this early fall! So I have not gotten NEAR as much trigger time with the 204's on Prairie Dogs as I have wanted to! Other Varmints, yes, I have been really impressed with the 204's performance on all of them!
I always take a Varmint Rifle or two along on my mid-November Mule Deer Hunts, to use on Prairie Dogs, Coyotes and Badgers, so I may have some longer shots to report for you later here this year!
Yes I have seen the "BlitKings" in action from 22's. 24's and 20's for some time now! NO RICOCHET problem with these highly frangible and VERY lethal Varmint bullets!
I also always recommend folks try the amazing 50 grain Sierra Blitz bullets (#1340's) in their 223's. I have used them for many years in some of my Rifles as they are accurate, extremely lethal and no chance of ricochets with tese babies! And they are CHEAP! I hope you will give them a try if you get a chance. These are PSP type thin jacketed bullets and again they are really accurate in most everything I have tried them in!
In review of your posting I want to specifically address your question regarding the farthest distance the 204 would quickly kill a Prairie Dog! I have several friends who took their 204's on Prairie Dog Hunts this summer and according to them they were killing them out at 500 yards quite reliably! I would not hesitate to try a 500 yard shot on Prairie Dogs or Ground Squirrles (if need be) myself!
My personal limit for Varmint shooting is 600 yards anyway and I simply don't think with my equipment and my shooting capabilities its worth the risk for me to shoot any further than that!
Looking forward to your future reports of your XR-100's performance!
By the way I was returning from the country Butcher Shop this morning after I picked up our Antelope sausage and burger when a beautiful Fox ran in front of the VarmintMobile! I wish I would have brought along my XR-100!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a T36 with 1/8 dot. I do not look at my XR100 as anything other than a bench gun so I don't feel a need for a varible. I use a 6x24 Weaver on my 22-250 VS and the same scope on my .223 sporter.
As posted, my first 5 5-shot groups agged .6something. Since spring I haven't been able to do any shooting until this fall when I shot in a couple of factory matches. If I remember, my aggs ran somewhere in the .4's. I don't really keep close track of that sort of stuff but I did win the 100 and 200 yard score and the 100 and two hundred group. I use Sierra 52gr hpbt match bullets and H335.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Iwzbeeman: I congratualte you on your winning ways with the Remington XR-100!
I had a chance recently at a Weaver V-24 that was for sale at a Gunshow in Spokane, Washington. I hesitated a bit and someone else grabbed it up!
I do have 3 Weaver V-16's that I use regularly and I am very happy with them. In addition I now have two Weaver T-15's and they have impressed me greatly also.
I am a Leupold kind of guy at heart but never pass up a GREAT deal on good quality scopes!
I also have two newer Sightron 6x24 variables and they work very well with my only hesitancy about them is that the sight pictures darken just a tad at 22 to 24 power. For my Varminting uses they work just fine though!
Thanks for the comeback!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me. Decisions! Decisions! New 223 or 204.

Beeman>> That is a great 5/5 average. Do you shoot competition at local public ranges?

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarter Round:
You guys are killing me. Decisions! Decisions! New 223 or 204.

No decision necessary buy both Big Grin

Swede

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
I think you guys just talked me into a new xr100 for my birthday(Oct 30 in case anyone wants to buy me one for my birthday).I'll take the 223. what kind of prices are we looking at? I have seen the internet prices but i think that the shops are gonna be a little higher.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I looked at a XR in TN $700. You will probably find a price range of $675 to $725.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a private club but they have matches that are open to the public. At their bench rest matches, I THINK you have to be a member of the IBS or the BRS or whatever to compete.

posted Hide Post
hay guys i have rx100 204.this gun will shoot 1/4in 5 shot groups at 200 yards.the 12-42x56 nxs nightforce scope and jewell trigger set at 1.5 oz helps.shoots the 35gr and 40gr begers both the same.have shot only one yote with it it.droped it in its tracks.love the gun.

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
I checked my local gun shop and they would have to order. $730.00. I am leaning toward the 204 at this time. I really like what I am hearing about it. Is the 204 brass just necked down 223 brass? If so, this would make my decision a whole lot easier. I already have a burris sig 6-24 scope waiting to go on.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullshooter--The .204 Ruger brass is .222 Remington Magnum brass necked down to .204, the casing blown out resulting in a slightly sorter neck and a 30º shoulder. You SHOULD NOT try to just run .222 Rem. Mag casings through a .204 Ruger die to make the .204 casings. You would need to make a false shoulder so you get a crush fit in your .204 Ruger chamber, load down a little bit from maximum, and then fire form them.

Here is a photo of the casings. The process is not real complicated, but you do have to adjust your die so you size only a small portion of the .222 Rem mag casing so you get a crush fit when you fire form so there is no headspace problems that could be dangerous to your health and well-being.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
Silver,thanks for the clarification. I think I am going to do a little more resesarch on the cost of the 204 to reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you just seat a bullet long into the lands and achieve the same thing without the false shoulder?

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
When you fire the cartridge the firing pin hits the primer if there is the bullet is not pushed hard enough into the rifleling it can move forward and not give you a properly fire formed cartridge. This is why I believe using the false shoulder is better

Swede

NRA Life Member