THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Pics of your favorive varmint rifle
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics of your favorive varmint rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post

top is a 700 etronx in 22/250 with 6x24 sightron. Bottom 2 views of my 204 Cooper.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Another oldie of mine, all wood and blue steel Rem 722 action 22-250

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Cpayneusn: Nifty little rig you have there! I to have great admiration and trust in the 17 HMR cartridge as I have cleanly killed two Coyotes with mine as well as a host of other Varmints including Badgers, Rock Chucks, Porcupine, feral cats, Prairie Dogs, Jack Rabbits, Snowshoe Hares and a hoarde of Ground Squirrels among other Varmints! I also find the 17 HMR amazingly lethal on Wild Turkeys! In Montana we can use Rifles and Pistols as well as shotguns during the fall Turkey season but its shotguns only in the spring season here.
My purpose for posting is to inquire if you had any fail to fire incidents with your NEF in 17 HMR?
My friend here in Montana has had two of them and both only discharge the cartridge on a sporadic basis! The first one ignited the cartridges at an even 50% clip!!! The replacement NEF ignites the cartridges only at a 60% of the time pace!!! Both little Rifles were extremely accurate. I did the scope mounting and range work initial sight in for my friend on both of his Rifles. This latest NEF is so accurate I begged him not to return it and for us to simply try and repeatedly clean and try to "break-in" this Rifle to see if it will correct itself!
I was just wondering if you had any similar problems with your exact same Rifle as my friends?
How does your NEF shoot by the way - accuracy wise?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: Welcome to the AR Varminting forum by the way!

I wouldn't use one on badgers again. I saw two 17gr Vmax bullets bounce off a badgers forehead. But I did drop a 40lb snapping turtle (pretty easy to figure the lead on that one!) at 70 yards with the 20gr XTP bullets. Shot right through the shell, I would have never guessed it could do that.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
The image size is rather large but here it goes. 56k go shoot savages

It's a CZ550 Varmint chambered in 22-250. Mounted is a Burris Signature Select 8-32x44PA, up front is a Harris 6-9 benchrest bipod.

It use to be quite difficut to shoot thoes kind of groups that I posted below...until a fellow member of this forum turned me on to reloader 10x. Now I am trying to acheive the same results but at 200. gunsmile

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be cocky but that's a good start.How many inch BBL? I shoot a 22-250AI with a 52 gr Hornady A-Max 44.5grs of WW 760 produces 4,000 PLUS. With tight groups like that. Look into opening up your chamber.

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IronWorker378:
Not trying to be cocky but that's a good start.How many inch BBL? I shoot a 22-250AI with a 52 gr Hornady A-Max 44.5grs of WW 760 produces 4,000 PLUS. With tight groups like that. Look into opening up your chamber.

I'm just a poor 20 year old, so I basically just try to squeeze everything I can get out of a stock rifle. So far this thing has done the job. When it comes time for a new barrel I will go with Shilen, perhaps a 6.5x284. Who knows?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey bro then your doing very good. Hey instead of a 6.5x284 go with a 6x284. It kicks butt, It will give you 22-250 velocities with 6MM bullets.Mine I shoot a 87gr Hornady V-max at 3,600. Its awesome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waffen,

I looked into the cz 22/250's (I am a big cz fan) but I did not like the way they have milled all the rails out of the action and then soley relies on the mag box, plus they use the 30/06 action for the 22/250 round................thats fine but cz should have left it a floor plate design I reckon so that people could have more options to re-chamber. Would you know any more about how or what options you have for re-barrelling to rounds other than 22/250 or .243 etc. I reckoin you would need a custom mag box made possibly.

Just interested thats all..................that rifle of yours looks awsome all the same !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Waffen,

I looked into the cz 22/250's (I am a big cz fan) but I did not like the way they have milled all the rails out of the action and then soley relies on the mag box, plus they use the 30/06 action for the 22/250 round................thats fine but cz should have left it a floor plate design I reckon so that people could have more options to re-chamber. Would you know any more about how or what options you have for re-barrelling to rounds other than 22/250 or .243 etc. I reckoin you would need a custom mag box made possibly.
!!

I guess I don't quite understand what you are talking about. I usually just single feed mine like I would a Rem700. It works without any problems. This being the case I would assume you could rechamber it to just about anything you wanted short of anything with a magnum bolt face. I have had to feed it without having the mag in the gun and that was a pain.

Infact I can't think of a time I have used the magazine on this gun.

Your comments prompted me to get up and look at the bolt sizes. I took a Rem 700 long action and put it side by side with the CZ action, and the Remington bolt was longer by about a half an inch +/- a few millimeters. I was unable to fit one of my 30-06 reloads into the action as well, but that could be due to my seating depth.

Hope this helps and thanks for the comments about the rifle. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at that little group PC ! Told you that you should have kept the CZ . lol
Got those 70 grain Noslers to shoot in your .243 yet ? Boy you've gotta try the 87 V Max on hopping targets . 2 for 2 at 450 yds a few months back and just flattened ém . Kills are much more "convincing" than with the Noslers .
BTW , have you bought shares in Remington recently ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waffen,

It's hard to understand, but with there .308 length rounds they use the mag box setup and they practically mill away all the action rails that would usually be used if the rifle had of been a regular floor plate feeder.

BC, yeah I have got that rem 700 to shoot groups under the .5's with the Nos 70 gr BT's and 40.5gr of Varget.

I may just look into the 87gr Vmax's next, and no I have not bought shares in Remington Big Grin

I did buy a rem 700 Police .300 RUM and it shoots with loads that are slightly to hot in .2's with Nos 150 gr BT's....................seems to like pushing the barrow, but I would rather play it safe.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What can I say. I just likem.

Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 15 | Location: Orange,TX | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't fool us those are all replicas! LOL Yes that's a nice collection. You do relize the Democrat party wants to take those away from you don't you.

posted Hide Post
The front one is a Clark custom Gator. Five shots .344". My wife took it away from me. She likes to shoot frozen Coke bottles. Now it is a very expensive high speed ice pick.

Can you tell I got thing for thumbholes?.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frozen coke bottles! Wow what an Idiea. What happens? They must blow up.So does it look cool?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
savage mod 12LH richards microfit wildcat thumbhole laminated stk
swift premier 8x32x50AO scope
harris bipods
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/srwshooter/22-250SAV.jpg

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
srw. Being a thumbhole, and a 22-250 nut. I like that beauty even if the bolt is on the wrong side of the equator. How does she shoot?.

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Varmint hunter -- how do you like the Choate stock -- I've got two of them, one on a Savage 12FLV in .308win w/Farrel 10moa base and QRW Leupold rings, a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LRT varmint reticle -- It's my favorite long range varmint rig. Then I've got one on a Remy 700LH .270win w/ 3.5-10x40 VXIII. I don't think I've ever had a stock that's any more stable. Not to pretty but functions great.

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a favorite.. but I have a batch of them that I just love... each one with its own uses and personality....

Here is a recent addition to a 223 Ruger Mk 2 that dramatically dresses the old gal up over the factory stock... this is a recently finished Boyd's Ross Thumbhole Stock on a Ruger 223....

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/seafire.jpg

This rifle has a steady diet of 14.5 grains of Blue Dot with a 40 grain Ballistic Tip, or 40 grain Sierra HP, or a 46 grain Winchester HP....

Ths rifle has killed over 3000 ground squirrels in the last several years here in Oregon....Scope is a plain old 3 x 9 Weaver...

Cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AI22-250. I really like the Choate. As you say there not very pretty, but very stable. That rifle is in a 280 and shoots 2.6 at 600. It was a 112 BVSS. It now has a Schilen barrel both radial, and standard flutes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ronnie, GOOD TO SEE YOU HERE!!! I've been meaning to line up the varminters and take a pic of them but I'm not smart enough to post the pic!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Charlie, You are plenty smart enough to post a pic. You just won't stop shooting long enough to do it. Ronnie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ronnie, YOU'VE GOT MAIL!! Been breaking in and testing a Remington 700, .204, SS nonfluted(not catalogged as far as I can discern) for a friend......2.25-2.5" groups with factory 32 grain Hornadys!! Trigger pull won't register on my guage!! The stock is that "wanta sell some "cool looking ventilated" stocks like those on the XR-100's(or whatever they are called) velocity of same loads tested in a SAVAGE 12VLP are cosistently 150-200fps slower, I'm beginning to think I'll take the the damn LEUPOLD VXII 6-18 off of it and replace with a BSA or Trashco(that I know work fine and are "repeatable"!!) because I just can't imagine the "Big Green" letting such a POS out of the warehouse!!! More details later!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote