THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Pics of your favorive varmint rifle
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics of your favorive varmint rifle
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It is roughly 40 fps per inch of barrel. So I loose 320 FPS from the 24 to the 16 inch barrel roughly.

But the big thing is if you are doing a lot of walking you don't want to carry the one with the 24 inch barrel. That is why I have the two different barrel lengths. The long barrel is one that you find a nice shade tree and lay down under it and shoot all afternoon.

Tom

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post

Browning 1885 Lo Wall in .22 Hornet. The scope is a Burris 2-7X Mini.

Regards,
Ed

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I detest the dreaded red X. Imagestation seems to have an unstable link to their site, so I switched to photobucket.

So here, once again is the Browning 1885 LoWall in 22 Hornet. The scope is a Burris Mini 2x-7x. I had just taken a gopher at 110 yards the morning this photo was taken.

www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun there wooly

this is our varmint setups
one is TC G2 factory carbine in .204

one is Tc Carbine in 6mm 30-30 AI
with Bullberry stocks

both are pure terror to the local prairie dog towns
[URL=[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=275195&c=500&z=1"] [/url]][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=275195&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/URL]

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello TC hope you get this message. Hey what type of stock is that you have on your AR-15s? Is it lighter. My Varmint rig is just like that but with standard Colt stock,but custom Free floating hand guard. troll

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a few of the varmit rigs, from the bottom is a brno 611/22 mag with compact leupold 3x9, next to that is a Ruger Mk III hunter, next up is a Darrell Holland 223 w/4.5-15 LR leupold, then a Kimber 84 in 22-250w/ leica 3.5-10 then a custom AR in 223 w/ Mk4 10X and a Colt Tact Carbine with the leupold CQ/T and an old 10/22 w/weaver k4

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Very nice collection of varminters there, Jimmyd223.

www.ceandersonart.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the one that has taken me several months to get finished, it is a switchbarrel wearing a 6.5/284 right now with a 6BR barrel standing proud in the corner. BAT action, McMillan Shehane Tracker stock, Nightforce 12-42x56 scope, 20 moa tapered base. The 6.5 is a 8.5" twist and the 6BR is a 1 in 12".

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[IMG:top] [/IMG]
Savage 110GV 22-250 tasco 4-16X40 PARA.

posted Hide Post
Remington LVSF 223 with B&L 6-24x40 in Leupold QRW mounts. Hausken silencer. Hornady 40 VMax and Speer 50 TNT, 0.5 inch at 100 meters.

Speer 50 TNT @ 1050 meter/sec

Posts: 17 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom stubbed barrel by David White. 22-250 Improved Rimmed.

Posts: 43 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Let's keep this discussion going!

This is my Kimber M82 in 22 RF. The scope is a Leupold M8 AO Compact in 6X.

www.ceandersonart.com

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Nice looking guns.

OK, OK, I will take a picture of mine soon...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of SirEglamore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your 6-.284? What is the stock you have on it? It's very attractive. About the first picture, of your Rem. VLS, did they come with thumbhole stocks at one time or is the rifle one you restocked? Very nice collection of varmint rigs. Best wishes.

Hi, The names Ernie, new guy on site. The stock on that Remmy looks like one of Boyds http://www.boydboys.com/

Heres my Savage fp10 .223

Posts: 1 | Location: On the edge of darkness | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
This is my walking varminter...a weatherby varmintmaster in 22-250 with a Leupold 4-12 scope.gun

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post

[IMG:left

This is my latest -- A Savage 12FLV (lefthanded) .308win with SSS bolt handle, trigger, Choate Varmint Stock, Farrel bases with QRW Leupold rings, Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT w/varmint reticle. Best Group so far .16" Doesn't get much better for me....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

These are the ones I use the most.From the top/12fv 22-250 in a bvss stock/10FM .243/Bushy varminter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
How do you post your picture. I am not a whiz with theses computers. having a little trouble- thx

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
start by going to a site like Hunt101.com it will allow you to send pics to them, then from there to here..... see if that works

Mike

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, for my first post here I will post pics of my varmint rigs:
Marlin 17V with Tasco 6-24X42 mil-dot

Winchester 70, .243WSSm, Tasco 6-24X42 mildot

Thompson Encore, 22-250 heavy barrel, Tasco world class 4-16X50

Savage Striker, .243, now sporting a 2-7X32 scope

My latest, Marlin 782 .22mag with Tasco 4x

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, some really nice rigs guys. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are 3 more that just came in the past two weeks.From the top is a Cooper Classic in 22WMR with a LR Leupold 4.5-14, in the middle is a Remmy 223 Composite that will be topped off with a Mk 4 10X target dot and last is a Cooper LVT in 17HMR that will be topped off with a new Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10 with mil-dots. Just waiting for this scope and a set of bases for the remmy.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Minor brain fart, better picture now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my most favorite but it's all I have a picture of at teh moment.
Cooper: .223

The World Would Be A Happier Place If Everyone Owned At Least One Ruger #1.

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post

Self explanatory.....
IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sold the 22/250 rem 700 pictured earlier and now have this rem in .243 winnie.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of my favorites.
At the bottom of the pic there are 2 Sako rifles one in 222 the other in 22-250
http://photos.ohioglockers.com/Long-guns-and-pistols/Long_guns
I just recently have gotten interested in single shots and picked up a 22-250 then a 220 Swift
http://photos.ohioglockers.com/Toy-chest/22_250_220_Swift

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hairtrigger, hope this works

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my favorite coyote/rock chuck rig! The barrel was air gauged and cryoed then set back and punched out to 22-250 IMP 40 degree, the action was totally reworked/blue printed ie lugs lapped,end of the received trued, recoil lug trued, titanium firing pin and heavier spring for faster lock time, bolt hope was removed, the face of the bolt and the head were trued. It has an adj. jewel trigger set at about 10oz with a bottom saftey and the stock was bedded/fitted to the action.

I have killed many coyotes and chucks with this rifle and it love's the coated 40gr barnes bullets! I am using 42.6 grs of win 748, win brass and fed match primers and am launching the 40 grainer's in excess of 4,200 fps.

Click on images to enlarge

one of us
posted Hide Post
These two are the current workhorses of the group.
Front factory .204 Ruger carbine w/ Mueller 3.5x10 eradicator on a Harris bipod
Rear Virgin Valley 6mm 30-30 Imp. Shilen barrel
with a Bushnell 3200 Elite on bags.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=307327&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

then of course not pictured
.204 SS carbine setup from match Grade Machine
.221 Bullberry carbine

and one old Savage 110 in
22-250 with a Leupold 4x12 AO

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
skb , tell us about those elevation knobs? custom?

one of us
posted Hide Post
DPH: Great looking rig you have there!
How does it shoot?
I assume you are talking about the factory barrel being cryoed, air gauged and set back for re-chambering to 22-250 A.I.?
Again let us know how it shoots please!
I have a custom Rifle built on a Remington XP-100 action and it has one of the wonderful Jewell under-lever safety/triggers on it!
I highly recommend these for folks going custom on Remington actions. It's safe, convenient and easy to use.
WOWSERS on the speed you are getting with the 40 grainers! I bet that shoots flat as a string!
Of all the Varmints I Hunt the Coyotes are the toughest to laser range without being detected or without the quarry moving significantly before you put down the laser and set up the Rifle! Flat trajectories sure aid in first shot hits on Coyotes in the wide open country I Hunt them in!
About the 22-250 A.I. cartridge - I have always admired this wildcat and have shot along side several of them!
One of my good Varminting buddies has had his 22-250 A.I. for 25 years now! He bought and formed about 300 pieces of brass for it back when he first got it and has been using the SAME brass since then! He loads and uses up his supply of brass each year - once - on Varmints and the brass has lasted that long! About 25 firings on the same brass with those speeds is IMPRESSIVE!
There is something to be said for the Ackley Improved designed cartridges besides the incresead velocities - for sure!
Wishing you continued happiness with your Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
DPH: Great looking rig you have there!
How does it shoot?
I assume you are talking about the factory barrel being cryoed, air gauged and set back for re-chambering to 22-250 A.I.?
Again let us know how it shoots please!
I have a custom Rifle built on a Remington XP-100 action and it has one of the wonderful Jewell under-lever safety/triggers on it!
I highly recommend these for folks going custom on Remington actions. It's safe, convenient and easy to use.
WOWSERS on the speed you are getting with the 40 grainers! I bet that shoots flat as a string!
Of all the Varmints I Hunt the Coyotes are the toughest to laser range without being detected or without the quarry moving significantly before you put down the laser and set up the Rifle! Flat trajectories sure aid in first shot hits on Coyotes in the wide open country I Hunt them in!
About the 22-250 A.I. cartridge - I have always admired this wildcat and have shot along side several of them!
One of my good Varminting buddies has had his 22-250 A.I. for 25 years now! He bought and formed about 300 pieces of brass for it back when he first got it and has been using the SAME brass since then! He loads and uses up his supply of brass each year - once - on Varmints and the brass has lasted that long! About 25 firings on the same brass with those speeds is IMPRESSIVE!
There is something to be said for the Ackley Improved designed cartridges besides the incresead velocities - for sure!
Wishing you continued happiness with your Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks! The gun as long as I'm doing my part (reloading & shooting) is extremely accurate! At 100 yds it will basically shoot a little ragged hole just as long as I don't get the barrel too hot. It has the factory barrel, I was gonna have my gun smith hang a shilen or lilja on it however after he gauged and bore scoped it he said I really should shoot this barrel out before I buy another, he said the barrel looked far better than any other factory remington barrel he'd ever seen.

The loads I worked up are quite hot and I didn't expect them to shoot as well as my other loads (50 v-max 4,050fps) but to my surprise they actually shot a little better! I have quite a few other rifles that I have had built over the years but for some reason I always' come back to this rifle, the 22-250 is a awesome varmint cartridge and really does a number on coyotes! The last one I shot at a little over 230 yds and well the bullet didn't even pass through it, basically it turned the coyotes insides into jello.

I'd have to say that for varmints this is hands down the best cartridge I have ever use ie brass life, accuracy,velocity and destructive power however my 6-284 is a very close second!!

I also have a xp-100 but it's still in pistol form, I used to shoot silhouette and the gun is chambered in 7mm international great shooting gun!

One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Sako 6mm PPC
Sako S491 6mm PPC single shot The rifle is fitted with a custom thumb hole stock and a 26 inch Shilen S/S Barrel. It is topped off with a Tasco 24X scope. I am still fire forming the cases, but it has shot a 5 shot 100.0 yard group of .320, so I hold high hopes for its accuracy potential on the rabbit population.
Pete

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhunter223:
Sako 6mm PPC
Sako S491 6mm PPC single shot The rifle is fitted with a custom thumb hole stock and a 26 inch Shilen S/S Barrel. I am still fire forming the cases, but it has shot a 5 shot 100.0 yard group of .320, so I hold high hopes for its accuracy potential on the rabbit population.
Pete

I have br rifle chambered in 6ppc. It's a stolle panda action, lilja barrel, and macmillian stock the thing shoot's like a house a fire however there's no way I'm taking that rifle hunting. I'd drop dead of a heart attack if I accidently dropped it.

What bullet you using, have you ever tried the 55 grainers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need help! How do i post pictures on any sight? Any how I have three cool varmint rigs.Remi 700 6x284 (Coyotes look like thier electrocuted when hit) a Cooper Clasic in 22-250AI,awesome shooter. And a Colt H-Bar AR-15 that I had up graded to varminter.1/2 to 3/4 MOA all day long.

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IronWorker378:
I need help! How do i post pictures on any sight? Any how I have three cool varmint rigs.Remi 700 6x284 (Coyotes look like thier electrocuted when hit) a Cooper Clasic in 22-250AI,awesome shooter. And a Colt H-Bar AR-15 that I had up graded to varminter.1/2 to 3/4 MOA all day long.

Register at imageshack.us then after you upload your pics go to my images at the top, you will have six lines to choose from that are next to your pic, for full size images highlight and copy the top line the first part will read [img] for thumb nail pics that can be enlarged by clicking on them choose the second one up from the bottom and do the same the first portion of the line will read [url

Highlight, copy & paste be sure you copy the entire line not just a portion of it. Hope this helps!

Don

One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
quote:

What bullet you using, have you ever tried the 55 grainers?

The only projectile I use fro the 6mm PPC is 68gn ISP's. These are hand made in Australia by a chap in Coffs Harbour NSW. His name is Ian Thompson and they are absolutely superb projectiles. He has only just recently received some other length jackets and I am first in line to try the other projectile weights. His web site is http://www.geocities.com/isp_projectiles/
Every one I know who has tried them has shot smaller groups.
Pete

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
I have my share of varmint rifles, but I would have to say that my old friend of 45+ years is my favorite. A 1947 Win 70 K hornet that I paid $50 dollars for and stocked it myself in Southern OH curly maple. The scope is an El Paso Weaver K10 that I am in the process of replacing with a Unertl Ultra Varmint 12X, 2"
http://photo.tickle.com/image/39/3/2/O/39327351O508557630.jpg

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Young:
I have my share of varmint rifles, but I would have to say that my old friend of 45+ years is my favorite. A 1947 Win 70 K hornet that I paid $50 dollars for and stocked it myself in Southern OH curly maple. The scope is an El Paso Weaver K10 that I am in the process of replacing with a Unertl Ultra Varmint 12X, 2"
http://photo.tickle.com/image/39/3/2/O/39327351O508557630.jpg

Nice!!