New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for a hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My own experience is that the Hornet works best at moderate ranges such as 150 to 175 yards or less. I've found that the older Leupold compact 6 power with AO seems really well suited and while discontinued these can still be located relatively easily. Additionally, the size of the compact looks just about right, not over-powering most Hornets that seem to be built on smaller rifles. The AO is probably not needed but I keep it set at what appears to be 150 yds and It also looks "the part" on a varmint rifle.

Ed

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrumbag:
Bren7x64, are you also a devotee of that wonderful cartridge?

ATB,

Scrummy

Fun rifle - fun cartridge. I need more time to reload.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you there mate! Need more time for reloading and shooting!

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This topic has been most useful to me. I just finished my second hornet. It's a Mini Mauser full stock carbine. When I got it the finish was rough to say the least and I didn't like the grip angle. So after re-shaping and refinishing the stock, I'm ready to mount a scope. I agree with the compact scope idea. I am either going with a compact 3-9 or 2-7. I prefer the old style less than 40mm objective size. Thanks to all this has been a great thread for me. I hope it was the same for the original poster.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weaver 2-7x rimfire is my choice. It's cheaper than the Leupold. about the same price as the Redfield 2-7 and the Weaver crosshair only covers 1/2" @ 100 yds. I have also found that 6x is about the maximum needed for 99% of shooting at gophers out to 200 yds.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2-7X28 M8 Leupold mounts low and is slim OR the current version:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting...-1-rimfire-2-7x28mm/

Parallax in M8 is 100, VX 1 50 which Leupold can rest if necessary (doubtful)

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metalbeater:
2-7X28 M8 Leupold mounts low and is slim OR the current version:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting...-1-rimfire-2-7x28mm/

Parallax in M8 is 100, VX 1 50 which Leupold can rest if necessary (doubtful)

I have one of these on my .223 (CZ 527 Full Stock) and it's perfect.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Late news flash Wink

I ordered another of those Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire scopes this morning to put on the Hornet so I could put the 2-7x33 on the 7x57 Msr, so I could take its Weaver K2.5 and put THAT on the 9.3x62 so I could put the Meopta 3-9x40 on the 270 Win.

Quite a round of musical chairs over the next weekend or so.

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Bren!

Clearly you're a man of excellent taste!

9.3x62, .223 CZ 527 and 7x64!

Impeccable!

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of extra sighting in.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds good Bren!

Clearly you're a man of excellent taste!

9.3x62, .223 CZ 527 and 7x64!

Impeccable!

Scrummy

Oh, I am, mate - I normally have to say so myself, but you can see my true worth Smiler

BTW - no 7x64, but a 7x57

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No 7x64?

Sir, you are a bounder!

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
No 7x64?

Sir, you are a bounder!

A cad, too.

Was thinking of rebarreling my 270 Win to one, but decided to actually fire it before I did anything.

--

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
If you want some thing that draws in the light I have a Pentex light seeker 2x7 on a little model seven carbine I use in dark cedar swamps that is by far the nicest scope I have used in that application.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
quote:
No 7x64?

Sir, you are a bounder!

A cad, too.

Was thinking of rebarreling my 270 Win to one, but decided to actually fire it before I did anything.

Buuy a box of ammo, do what your have to do, then order the barrel...