Notify
Tools

Scope for a hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a .22 Hornet, probably CZ ('cos I don't want to introduce any inferior makes to my gunsafe) or a Zastava ('cos I'm really cheap). Now that most of you are PO'd, I'm looking a fairly average scope for it.

I'm considering a Redfield 2-7x33 scope. Mainly because as a Hornet, I don't see it used much beyond 150 yards, and then on foxes, cats, and maybe rabbits (I'm in Australia). And also it'll match the size of the rifle and shouldn't screw the balance up tooooooo much.

Anybody see a hole in my plan? Other suggestions?

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have no issues with your choice. I have a G2 Contender carbine and put a Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 on it. I'm satisfied with the magnification for the same reasons you gave.
Good luck with your Hornet.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a M8 Leupold straight 8X with PA on mine. It seems just about perfect to me.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 77/22 Hornet has a Leupold 3-9 compact and is a great fit.

Posts: 14 | Location: MI | Registered: 10 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Well, so far no one seems to think it's all that outlandish. Just as I can see the logic in your choices.

I was sort of wondering whether anyone was going to tell me that it was a stupid idea and I needed a 10-48x70 or bigger.

The only downside I can see with my choice is that if I were spotlighting, it might not be as bright as it could be.

Thanks guys - anybody else feel free to weigh in.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redfield scopes are great value - period.

If you'd prefer the smaller lighter version for your Hornet - great choice.

I've got the 3-9x50 which IMO isn't a real monster as scopes go and I've certainly been pleased with it. It's also on a small, light rifle and the size did not overwhelm it - quite the contrary; I selected it to compliment the rifle.

Magnification & scope size a personal choice for the applications which you consider but for those really tiny targets of opportunity your Hornet could easily use a coupla additional X. Any of the Redfiled Revolution scopes would be right at home on a carry-weight 22 Hornet.

Have fun with your Hornet.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 4-12X on both of my hornets.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
4-12X on hornets.

+ 1

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on target size and distance. I have shot a Hornet for gophers, Richardson's ground squirrel, which offer a very small target (2x5 inches at most), especially the young of the year (1x3 inches). 10x or even a 12x is great for tiny targets at 200 or closer.

I had a 3x to 9x "big game" style scope on my Hornet and eventually replaced it with a 12x with fine cross hairs in the center for smaller varmints. The straight 12x limited the rifle to field shooting of gophers though and I think I'd go for the 4x to 12x for a bit more versatility.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Leupold 2-7 on my Hornet for about 30 years. Never wished for more magnification. If shots are past 200 yards, I use another caliber.
RF

Posts: 43 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my CZ527FS I have a Burris 6X Mini. Looks really good (proportional to gun) and the 6X is my idea of ideal.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have deep pockets, the Leupold Alaskan in 6X looks great on a Hornet as it has a 7/8" tube.
Leupy stopped making them (2.5, 4 & 6X) because they came along when bigger was better. Now they have become a cult scope and often bring $400 on Ebay.
Here's a 4X with days left to run.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...eupold+alaskan&rt=nc

one of us
posted Hide Post
The low-price/high value Redfield is an excellent choice.

I have several Hornets, none of which wear anything larger than a 3-9 Leupold Compact. I was playing with knocking over bowling pins a few days ago with the one equipped with a 2.5-8X. The magnification was perfectly adequate for the 385 yard range.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions, guys. Appreciate it.

Seems like my choice is pretty non-controversial, then.

If I were still in RSA, where you get ground squirrels, I'd certainly be looking for a more powerful scope - probably a 4-12 or 4-14, but as far as I know they don't exist in Oz. (ground squirrels not scopes)

I tend to like a rifle / scope combination that looks good as well. Yeah, I know it also has to perform, but if the looks and balance aren't there, it better perform awfully well for me to warm to it.

Some people carry rifles that look like they've got an astronomical instrument and incidentally there's a rifle strapped below. I'd find it difficult to want one (I won't say I'll NEVER buy one - never is a loong time and I might get senile before then and change my mind Smiler )

I have a fullstock CZ .223 with a 2-7x28 Leupy on and I love it. It may be a rimfire scope, but it handles the devastating kick of the .223 just fine so far. It's light and handy enough that you can walk and carry it all day and by the time it feels too heavy, you're at the stage where socks are also feeling too heavy ....

Might look at one of those as well and compare prices.

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran 2x7 Leupolds on win mod 43, in both hornet and bee, they were perfect for both guns, the 218bee was my work gun on a 12,000 ac cattle ranch and accounts for semi loads of varmints and game. There are a few of the mod 43s out there and prices seem to be high these days . very best

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Hi guys,

I'm considering a Redfield 2-7x33 scope. Mainly because as a Hornet, I don't see it used much beyond 150 yards, and then on foxes, cats, and maybe rabbits (I'm in Australia). And also it'll match the size of the rifle and shouldn't screw the balance up tooooooo much.

I have the same scope on a 6.5 R- Bar. Just fine even past 200 yards. tu2 roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Titan 1.5-6x42 on mine. I would also consider the Leupy VXR 2-7x33

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a tasco world class (last of the jap made ones) on my hornet it is a fixed 4 x40 and it is all i have ever needed

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornet nick:
I have a tasco world class (last of the jap made ones) on my hornet it is a fixed 4 x40 and it is all i have ever needed

Used to have one of those on my 7x57 a few years ago, until I got given an old Weaver K 2.5 with dot reticule and swapped.

--

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a .22 Hornet, probably CZ ('cos I don't want to introduce any inferior makes to my gunsafe) or a Zastava ('cos I'm really cheap). Now that most of you are PO'd, I'm looking a fairly average scope for it.

My CZ has an old Redfield 2-7 on it with a circle reticle. Love it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

Seems like I'll be ready to go then.

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another vote for the leupold 4-12. I have one on my savage 25. It works just fine.. I dont think you'll be happy with anything under a 9 power.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're going to have to stick a lot spicier ingredients into the pot to get it to boil over here than that...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I had a 3-9 on mine originally, but switched it out to a 4.5-14X Nikon. With Lil' Gun and 40 grain bullets, you're getting 3000 fps. That makes it a legitimate 300 yard cartridge. A little more scope definitely doesn't hurt. The older I get, the more I believe that there's no such thing as too much scope.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive never seen a hornet with bad breath. If I did I doubt that I'd use Scope on it. Probably go with Wal Marts cheaper mouthwash--Equate.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked a 4X or 6X fixed on mine, but a varible Leupold 2x7x33 would be nice, maybe a 3x9 compact..I think a hornet should be kept slim and trim..I don't care for little trim guns with huge scopes on them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I liked a 4X or 6X fixed on mine, but a varible Leupold 2x7x33 would be nice, maybe a 3x9 compact..I think a hornet should be kept slim and trim..I don't care for little trim guns with huge scopes on them.

Absolutely agree about small rifles - big scopes.

And on a Hornet, which will be a walkabout rifle - might as well go with something that balances.

--

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Michalski:
On my CZ527FS I have a Burris 6X Mini. Looks really good (proportional to gun) and the 6X is my idea of ideal.

I have a CZ 527 FS in 223 with a 2-7x28 Leupold scope, which I believe is a rimfire scope - it works like magic

--

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Got my new scope yesterday - it's a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 just "because" and the Redfields weren't more than $30 cheaper than the Leupold.

Just got to mount it.

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This spring I picked up an Old Model 70 (SN:36xx) 22 Hornet carbine. It has a very old Leupold 10X on it. Works...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
This spring I picked up an Old Model 70 (SN:36xx) 22 Hornet carbine. It has a very old Leupold 10X on it. Works...

I bet it does. I feel we are so spoiled by today's "high technology" that we forget just a few years ago, less than twenty, a Leupold VX-3 was considered "state of the art."

LOL people who have to have the "latest-greatest" just make me laugh-out-loud.

I think this to myself every time I'm shooting my circa 1960's varmint/target rifle with a circa 1970's Redfield Varminter scope.
All the while killing tiny little varmints very far away and making teeny tiny little groups in paper very far away. Smiler

Whatever works, works.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a good load. Put half a can of 1680 in a bowl and just scoop a primed case thru it. Card it level (wipe a business card across the top) and compress it with a Sierra 45gr SP.

I shot a five-shot group at 100yds, that measured .468" after one fouler Sunday afternoon. I'm done load testing...

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I really like this scope for the open box price of $399.

http://www.cameralandny.com/op...pl?page=meopta560800

mounts as low as you can with a CZ and has an illum reticle.

http://www.samplelist.com/Leup...e-DEMO-A-P64645.aspx

Another option for 3 bills.

http://www.samplelist.com/Leup...e-DEMO-A-P64903.aspx

A little black Friday deal...

http://www.eurooptic.com/black-friday.aspx

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

from 2.5 x 8 to 4.5 x 14 I don't think you can go wrong.

12.2 to 12.3 gr of H110 or 12.3 up to 13 gr. of Lil Gun, some 35 and 40 grainers and you'll be in business

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am usually an outlier on a lot of these "opinion" threads, but since the Hornet is at best a 250-275 yard cartridge, to my way of thinking anything over about 7-8X is overkill. For my money, the Leupold 2-7 X 33 on the Hornet is just about as good as it gets.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a spare Leupold M8 8XAO laying around so I mounted it on one rifle in the Hornet. Never took it off as I liked it so much.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
..I think a hornet should be kept slim and trim..I don't care for little trim guns with huge scopes on them.

I agree 100%, I replaced a Nikon 4-12X with a Leupold 2.5-8X on my lefty Browning A-Bolt 22 Hornet.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my .223 Rem CZ527 I have a 3-9x36. Makes for a nice "walking" varminter.

I'd be tempted to look at the Minox ZA-5 1.5-8x32 as well

ATB,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bren7x64, are you also a devotee of that wonderful cartridge?

ATB,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Weaver 4-power rimfire scope on my Ruger 77/.22 Hornet rifle. Looks & shoots great, since shots are under 100 yards for me.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote