THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Burris 8-32x50: Would you buy?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris 8-32x50: Would you buy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would appreciate your comments on the quality and price along your experience with the Burris Black Diamond 30mm 8-32x50 scope. I am considering the purchase of this scope.

Thank you.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is certainly on my wish list in life!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a 6-24X50 black diamond and was not impressed. I took it off and swapped it for a leupold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Microfit was getting rid of their Burris at cost in 2003 and I told Lynwood Guns about it.
I then bought Sig 8x32x44 from Lynwood guns for $400+ on Dec 3 2003.

I put it on a Ruger #1 .223.

The last group I shot with it was on Friday:
33 gr Vmax moly 15 gr Blue Dot, 3,500 fps, 0.5" 5 shots at 100 yards from the bull bag and centered on the bullseye.

That scope has been good news for me from the get go.

If I could change anything on it, it would be to have side focus instead of objective focus.

The Sigs are $400+ and the Black Dia $600+
I would pay the $200 extra for side focus.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

check out Nikon's buckmasters in 4.5 x 14, and 6 x 18, with the mildots and with the ballistic plexs... both have side focuses..

I have a 4.5 x 14.. and am looking for a couple of others.. I do have to admit, I wish the V 16 Weaver came with a mildot set up....

If I ever get the 8 x 32 scope it is earmarked for that Mauser, that the bolt handle is getting done for...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

I recently had a Black Diamond, the exact one you mention. It was the new 30mm tube, center focus. Ruined one prairie dog hunt for me, and nearly ruined another one. It was mounted on an AR15, 243wssm. It would not hold zero, would not focus properly, was very dim, parallax was iffy.
Now you say it has a lifetime warranty!! That is all fine, but this scope spent more time in for repairs than it spent on my rifle. I got it back once, and it took me one shot to see it had not been fixed. Since Berretta took over Burris, their service has really suffered. I have owned a lot of scopes over the past 40 years, and this was the worst experience I ever had. For me, the scope can't be trusted to perform, so I got rid of it. After five trips to the shop, they finally did get it fixed. But it was anywhere from a month to 4 months each time it went in. They would not replace it!
Just my two cents worth. I use mostly Leupold or Nightforce.
Wayne

Posts: 17 | Location: Battle Ground, Washington | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Bought a 6x24x50 and was not impressed at all. Matter of fact I was completely disappointed. Too hard to change the magnification, parallax didn't seem to turn anything, white letters were scraped off.....just didn't seem very high quality at all. Replaced with a 6.5x20x50 conquest and the difference is night and day. Save your money.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate the feed back above on the Burrises....

guess I will wipe it off of my wish list, and replace it with something else...

it still gets hard, not looping right back to Leupold, although the Nikon's are getting my attention...

I am just getting old and my eye sight is starting to suck... that is the time when any old scope would do anymore... and the fine optics in the market really start to shine!

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Simmons Prairie Master
8X-32Xx44 lately, and can't complain. At $80, I can throw it into the weeds, from time to time and not feel bad about it. I know a lot of people that will say "you get what you pay for" and that's true, bit you don't have to pay more just to pay more. I've got Leupold and Redfield,too. Yes, I'd buy the Burris under the right circumstances.

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did get a Burris THIS year that I am not happy with.

Burris Fullfeild 3x9x40 illuminated ballistic plex.

The battery is dead everytime I turn it on.
I put in a new battery, and it happens again.
The illuminator has three settings:
1) Too bright
2) brighter
3) Off [maybe not all the way off, or the battery would last longer]

But the worst thing about it: The Fullfield line of scopes are now made in AsiaFrowner

Burris used to brag that Leupold got their lenses from Asia, but Burris used lenses from the USA. Now Burris has a scope that is MADE in Asia.

My Burris Signiture 8x32x44 is still the most varmint kill'n scope I ownSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a swift premier 8x32x50AO a real nice varmint scope for the money, 234.95 at www.eabco.com

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 8-32, like many scopes of this magnification, has very little W/E adjustment.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZWriter,

Is limited W/E adjustment true of the Nightforce higher magnification scopes as well?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
AZWriter,

Is limited W/E adjustment true of the Nightforce higher magnification scopes as well?

Buli:

Call Nightforce and ask. I would be surprised if they were limited; I shot a NXS that topped out at 42X last week at 1000 yards and it certainly didn't have any issues with elevation, and it didn't use an LR base.

Most 1000 yard shooters use NXS or Leupold scopes.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote