Find
Notify
Tools

savage 110e bolt closes hard
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the Gunsmithing Forum.
Only response was that, Yes, Savage makes chambers tight.

Any thoughts ? I just wonder if this is problem or not. I tend not to think so, since it doesnt look like a headspace issue. Maybe the dealer I got from will polish the chamber

I just picked up a used Savage 110e in 22-250. Its in fair shape and will be used for coyote hunting.

I got a box of factory loads, Fed Premium 55gr Sierra hp.

But, with some rounds, the bolt closes hard, or stiffly.
I fired the gun, accuracy seems decent, with some potential with handloads. Again with some, it opened tough. No signs of overpressure. I did clean the chamber and didnt find rust.
The cases are scratched near the head, at the widest part. No scracting on the head, or the shoulder. The bullets are not jamming the rifling.

Ideas ? Could it just be that the chmaber is tight ?

I would add that with some of the fired cases, if I put back in chamber extraction is sometimes hard. Perhaps its because its being inserted differently than where it was when fired.

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I would get the chamber cleaned up, any scratches will cause the spent round to grip the chamber wall.
Also put a little grease on the locking lugs and on the rear of the bolt where it rotates to help with the opening and closing.
It does not take much in the chamber to stick a cartrage even a little.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Please be more specific about "scratches at the head". Yes, every Savage has minimal headspace, one of the reasons they shoot so well. They should not, however, scratch brass. Might be a burr. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are these reloads you're shooting? Do you get the same condition when firing factory loads? I'm thinking it is quite possible that if these are reloads you're not getting the die down to the point it contacts the shell holder. In this case the case head wouldn't be resized enough to allow smooth closing of the bolt when chambering a round. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are factory rounds - fed premium 55gr Sierra hp

The scratching is not on the head(where headstamp is), scratches are on the case sides, towards the head, about the fattest area.

I have cleaned the chamber pretty good with Shooters Choice mc7, kroil, and jb compund.

May be that the chamber needs polishing

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it could have a little burr on the chamber edge or something.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
I just had a new Barrel put on one of my rifles. I wanted a tight .223 chamber and man I got it. Bolt would not quite close on the go gauge. I would recommend having a Smith (or you if you want to buy the gauges) check the chamber with go and nogo gauges. Put the go gauge in, the bolt should close, put the no go gauge in, the bolt better not close. When in doubt, good place to start. I am not an expert, but this worked for me. (I had a gun smith do this for me)

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
bughole, I have two Savage rifles. One a 1960's model in .220 Swift and the other a new 110 in .308.
I reload for both and the shells have to be exact or I have bolt closure problems.
During reloading I use a cartridge case length gauge to weed out any cases that aren't going to work.
I have come across factory loads that won't fit the gauge and cause a stiff bolt in the .308.
These same shells fit fine in my old Enfield. But then again, the Enfield won't shoot half as good as my beloved Savage.
As far as scratching the shells, I would have a gunsmith check that out.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
if you use a guage in the scratched chamber it will onlg give you a false measurement the chamber has to be clean and free of SCRATCHES.. Clen it up first.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt_E
posted Hide Post
That's funny...I have the EXACT same problem.
I have a 12VSS in 22-250. I get sticky bolt lifting roughly 1-2 grains before book max, which in itself may not be problematic.
Cases like to stick in the chamber. Not only is there heavy bolt lift, but once the bolt is lifted, I cannot pull it back. I need to open-close a few times, then I can extract.
The casings show scratches along the length of the case, particularly between shoulder and web.
It's driving me nuts.

Posts: 9130 | Location: US of A | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any suggestions on polishing the chamber ?
Or, is that gunsmith work only

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you purchased a used rifle and don't know it's history, with no clue as to how the previous owner may treated that rifle. How well that previous individual treated that rifle have much to do with the problems you have now. That may be the reason the previous owner sold the rifle since it developed this defect while in his care.

It is probably in your best interests to have a qualified master gunsmith inspect the rifle. It is certain he can resolve the problem with this rifle. Shooting extremely high pressure reloads can stretch actions and render them useless in short order. The rifle may have been taken apart and re-assembled improperly by the previous owner or incompetant gunsmithing work.

Any rifle, custom or factory, constructed properly should chamber factory or well made reloads with relative ease of operation. The bolt should close and open with light resistance as it seats or extracts the loaded or fired round from the chamber. Sticky bolt lift on new unfired or properly fashioned reloaded can indicate headspace problems, stretched action, improperly lapped locking lugs, a damaged chamber from any number of unknown reasons.

Take the rifle to a competant qualified gunsmith and get his expert opinion regarding your specific problem.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt_E
posted Hide Post
No suggestions. I have just been dealing with it and learned that max loads for my gun are below book max loads

Posts: 9130 | Location: US of A | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
good point.

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote