New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote Hunting Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a gen. III night vision scope mounted on a M700 308 that I use for stalking and shooting hogs. I've only had it out 3 times now but each time I've been out looking for hogs I've run into coyotes at close range, say 20-50 yards.

Has anyone ever hunted coyotes like this before? If you are downwind from them and there's no moon out you can get to within 20 yards of them fairly easily, especially with a slight breeze blowing. I've been tempted to shoot one each time but didn't because I was out looking for hogs. However, even though I'm not really a varmint hunter, it seems like stalking them would be a pretty fun thing to do. I've never really heard of anyone hunting like this but it got my blood pumping to get so close to a coyote. Last time I was out, a group of 4 walked right past me while I stood still and watched them with my night vision.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so why didn't you whack them?

We can't hunt at night here in AZ or I would.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
Stalking Coyotes??

I wouldn't think it would be possible without nightvision, or without a full moon, but then the coyotes would easily have the upper hand on you.

Maby someone on here has tried it, but I would think stalking a coyote would be extremly hard if not impossible.

Next time you see em, kill them all. I am sure the other ranchers in your area would be thrilled.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Stalking coyotes is actually really easy here on the Palouse. We have large rolling cropfields (for those who may not be familiar) and when it snows they end up pure white with little breakup in them at all. During the late morning and early afternoon, latrans like to go out and sun themselves in the bowls that are at least 2 hilltops from the road. You sight them from about a mile to a mile and a half away and then stalk in using the hills to shield you. It gets fun when you get close and pop up over the hill into their view at anywhere from 50 to 300 yards.....shoot quick! Here are some taken this way.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote