Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing exotic skinned cowboy boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
I haven't worn my elephant or anteater boots in over 10 years and they're just a bit tight in width only. I know you can't stretch exotic skins, but before I call and have an Abe Lincoln moment and/or not insult a custom boot guy can the skins be re-used or does the original stitchin holes hamper a boot maker? If so any recs for the Houston area?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC, I can't talk about anteater skin, but was wondering: all leathers dry, and is it possible that the elephant has just lost its pliability? I use vaseline twice a year on my natural elephant, as I was told to do by a bootmaker years ago, and they remain supple and soft. And it seems to me that they DO loosen a bit after wearing for a couple of hours, but maybe it is my imagination.

Rather than have to spring for the cost of new boots, is it maybe worth trying a good coat of vaseline to see if the boots will soften and allow you to wear them?

Just a thought, guy. Best of luck.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bag Balm (used to keep a cow's teats soft) that you buy at the farm and ranch store ain't too shabby at keeping boots soft (and somewhat water proof) Plus you don't get a hard-on when you're rubbing it into the boots like you do with vaseline. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out youtube.
There is a girl that fills plastic bags puts them in her shoes and freezes the boots. The ice expands and stretches the boots.
Remove the boots from the freezer let thaw and remove the bag full of water.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
My Justin chocolate elephants are 30 years old. I seldom wear them but have never had any treatment (vaseline?). They take a little wearing to stretch/remold to my feet, which have gone up a bit in size. Only dress/wear use, really, but still on first soles. That said, I used to go through sharks and bullhide waiting tables and making trips through the dish room in college days. After resoling those jokers a couple times the fit was definitely changed -- smaller. I'd bet resoling or stretching would NOT work. Elephant is tricky to get now and I'd wear them awhile before deciding they had to go. Sweat/wet that is, not frozen water!

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The boots are not the issue!
It's the fat feet.
Two solutions to this problem: Loose a bunch of weight say back to the weight you were when you bought the boots. Or prior to wearing the boots put you feet in ice water for an hour or so, to shrink them then put on your boots.
Getting the boots off may be difficult.
Happy New Year.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Doubless

Vaseline worked nice -- thanx!

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Stretching fluid. Any decent cobbler had it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC, put your boots on with heavy, thick socks. After that soak them with alcohol, no, the rubbing type, get them good and wet and walk around in the boots for a while then repeat. The alcohol will help stretch the leather. Let them dry while they are on your feet.

Do not use any type of oil on leather that is mineral base. It will in fact over time deteriorate the leather. Use a good vegetable oil or olive oil. Olive oil will not effect the leather like mineral oil based products do. Learned that from an old saddle maker years ago.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Gracias amigos.............

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Boot maker/shoe repair guy today said elephant is easier to get a hold of these days due to Zimbabwe cull hunting (governmental -- make your own decision). Anteater and sea turtle are verboten (endangered species) so no luck there. He just advised regular boot balm FWIW.

Cheers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS buy your boots in the morning.Over the day your body weight settles on your feet causing them to spread slightly.Enough to put off a good fit on a custom boot or even a commercial one.None of them are cheap. BTW I like the ice idea,I have done the oil.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
And at the end of the day if you can't grasp the heel and slip them off -- they ain't worth 2 cents.