New
Find
Notify
Tools

AEF [only??] infantry tactics in World War I
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just paused the very good but extremely disturbing motion picture, "The Lost Battalion," starring Rick Schroeder. The battalion executive officer just told his new replacement lieutenant the "proper" procedure of the infantry attack, aka over the top.

Knowing the allied armies' horrendous losses using similar tactics, knowing the defensive fire power of massed machine gun and pre-sighted artillery fire, why force attacking infantry to stand up and walk across "no man's land" rather than crawl or skitter from shell hole to shell hole to reach enemy lines? Our infantry in this alleged true retelling of a famed AEF attack had no submachine guns, no BARs or Lewis guns. They had 1917 Enfield rifles with bayonets fixed and American-made Mill's bombs (British designed hand grenades). Despite my having been a combat engineer, circa 1969-72, this type of infantry attack is total insanity to my mind.

Am I missing something about World War I-era infantry tactics?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
I just paused the very good but extremely disturbing motion picture, "The Lost Battalion," starring Rick Schroeder. The battalion executive officer just told his new replacement lieutenant the "proper" procedure of the infantry attack, aka over the top.

Knowing the allied armies' horrendous losses using similar tactics, knowing the defensive fire power of massed machine gun and pre-sighted artillery fire, why force attacking infantry to stand up and walk across "no man's land" rather than crawl or skitter from shell hole to shell hole to reach enemy lines? Our infantry in this alleged true retelling of a famed AEF attack had no submachine guns, no BARs or Lewis guns. They had 1917 Enfield rifles with bayonets fixed and American-made Mill's bombs (British designed hand grenades). Despite my having been a combat engineer, circa 1969-72, this type of infantry attack is total insanity to my mind.

Am I missing something about World War I-era infantry tactics?

The military mind hadn't caught up to the technology of the day, which was advancing rapidly. Pour enough guys over the top and you're
gonna beat the other guy. was the theory. Casualties were atrocious. Might watch Galioli for some more thought provoking.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Remember, many European countries on both sides in WWI were still fielding mounted cavalry units that carried sabres and pikes in addition to their handguns and carbines at the beginning of hostilities!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That was a good movie although I don't share Rick Shrouder's aclimains as an actor but that is just me. THe concept was great + I must confess that for the 1st time since "The Blue Max" that we had an accurate depiction of a Prussian officers uniform on film (not counting the Fritz Lang German features that were banned but period correct.)+ not seen in over 60 years.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend to you the movie "The Lighthorsemen". It is the t5rue story of the last cavalry charge against enemy troops (forget Poland Spt. 39

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damned internet;THe Australian cavalry carried out a cavalry charge that covered taking the Turk in the rear as all his guns were at sea. It took those lads 90 miles across desert because everyone said it could not be done....Tell an Aussie that something can't be done". Great movie,see it if you can,there is also a cameo of Meintertzhagen in true form.For what its worth,true story notwithstanding that cavalry raid over the turk parapites is worth the entire show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I read a book written by Erwin Rommel that detailed his life (IIRC it was written in the 30s, before WWII). I remember being very impressed with how much time he spent with his bino, reconning the enemy fortifications prior to an attack.

Reminds me of McMaster's quote in this video about the Battle of 73 Easting; go to the 41 minute mark to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX1cvcHjKu4

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rommel's book "Infranty Attacks" should be required reading for any student of military history. He goes in great detail about the strategic advantage of 'leading at the front'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up . . .

By the time the AEF became operational - that is, were in the trenches rather than in-training in France - what was a reasonably accurate distance between German and American trenches?

I ask because AEF infantry's most effective weapon for trench warfare was their 12 gauge pump action shotguns using brass-cased double-ought buckshot. But these weapons had an effective range of perhaps 60 yards. So until the German trench line was reached, these "most effective" weapons were perhaps the least effective unless trenches were within spitting distance.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a listen to this. Great read on WWI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMT_BVBBsA&t=23s

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that.I was already familiar with the subject matter but I found it very well done. A blessing + a pity that it was 3 1/2 hours long. Enjoyable as it was,I can't sit there listening for that time frame.I did give it an hour + a half. I hope I can pick it up where I left off.I did enjoy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is only the first installment. I think it is 11-12 hours in total. I listened to it while at work over the course of a couple of weeks, so I missed some of it when I had to concentrate on tedious work and couldn't take in what he was saying. Very interesting orator and I really liked the "Prophets of Doom" episode about the ante-baptists in Germany.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does tempt me to purchase + listen at my leisure. I can't listen at work + my home computer time is limited.Thanks for turning me onto this.I greatly enjoy it.Best,Randy

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I recommend to you the movie "The Lighthorsemen". It is the t5rue story of the last cavalry charge against enemy troops (forget Poland Spt. 39

Years back I saw the film on tv so I've been trying to locate a copy of the video for sometime without luck. Any ideas?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
WWI along with the American civil war ended up being bloodbaths because modern weapons at the time overtook the prevailing tactics. Which is why guys like Rommel & Patten wrote books after WWI endorsing the use of armor to spearhead an attack rather than just support the infantry.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote