Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of the American West.........1870's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FABULOUS Pictures from The American West ....1870's

Amazing work, especially when in one photo you can view the donkey-led wagon used by this gifted photographer, to process his film( not glass plates) along his laborious way through the early west. And that with one photograph that you will view in this sampling, he photo-documented a much earlier passage, about which history books have not alerted us, which reminds us of the fact that the Smithsonian museum folk have a very well secured storehouse (nee museum), full of a variety of physical evidence of much early-on civilization on this continent, prior the European white man's intrusions, onto the North American landscape.

http://www.theatlantic.com/inf...50-years-ago/100304/

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, always a good look at times gone by.
Thanks
Scott

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thank you again for sharing

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this! Somehow, the subject material seems that much more than just mere objects when B&W photography is used.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living in the west I have been to a few of the places. A few years ago we had a book of pictures and tried to find the spots the photos were taken.
I have always been impressed by the masonry work in the old Indian ruins. The walls are straight, taper as they go up. Many multi story. I do not think the current natives are the same people who made the buildings, if they are there was a sudden loss of technology.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating pictures. Thanks for the post.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, thanks for posting.

My Sister and I recently cleaned out 4 generations of "stuff" from my Mom's house. Several of our ancestors were early pioneers in Colorado, Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, and Montana. One of the pictures that I found and brought home was of my Great Great Grandfather and Kit Carson taken in 1868, and it was signed by both men.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:

My Sister and I recently cleaned out 4 generations of "stuff" from my Mom's house. Several of our ancestors were early pioneers in Colorado, Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, and Montana. One of the pictures that I found and brought home was of my Great Great Grandfather and Kit Carson taken in 1868, and it was signed by both men.

Buffy,

Please post the picture!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:

Buffy,

Please post the picture!

465H&H

The picture was taken in Washington, DC in 1868 by photographer "Brady". These 4 men were working with several Ute Indian chiefs to write the treaty with the Ute Indians in western Colorado.

Standing, L-R are Maj Daniel Oats and Maj Lafayette Head

Sitting, L-R are Kit Carson and Hiram P. Bennet (my Great Great Grandfather)

Hiram was a pioneer settler, lawyer, judge, and politician in Nebraska and Colorado. He and his brothers settled in what is now Bennett, Colorado where he was the Postmaster. He was later the first Territorial Representative to Congress from Colorado, where he served two terms in 1861 and 1865.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
Thank you for this! Somehow, the subject material seems that much more than just mere objects when B&W photography is used.

I 100% agree. I really like using black and white photography whenever possible. I don't do it to be "moody" or anything; I just think the lack of focusing on color forces you to appreciate the subject matter more deeply.

All-in-all, these are fantastic pictures. Remarkable clarity for their age.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.
Buffy: That's a fine history.

for those interested in it. search: Websterchurch.com Dexter Mich.
My ancestors helped build n fund it in 1634. Daniel Dwight was my direct, about great great. His wife Sarah was one of the initial members. Daniel's brother Norman out lived him many years and both were deacon's there. Daniel wrote a 16 page letter of his life n times and bad health. I have a copy of it. He died a few months later at age 45, in 1645.

They're all buried in the church yard cemetery. My folks went back there in '89 to look things over and attended church there.

George
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My Grandmother was a Manypenny,her mother was a Hawthorne,Granddaughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne.His forbear was Judge Hawthorne of the Salem witch trials. I still have the musket that was passed down in my family from my anscestor that fought with Ethan Allen's 'Green Mountain Boys.",along with powder horn + bullet mould.I have pictures of the older generation passing on this rifle to the next,gen. after gen. since photography was invented. Maybe this is foolish of me but I think not. I have a real problem with these Axxholes in D.C. thinking that they know better than me how this country should be run. My line has been here much longer than theirs + I think that deserves consideration (nothing the libs want to see.)

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote