Find
Notify
Tools

James Arness dies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm going to miss the big galoot. As an official aging baby boomer, there will always be a big place in my heart for Matt Dillon, Miss Kitty, Doc and Festus (and Chester before him).

Arness was the real deal, a wounded WWII vet (Anzio) who didn't talk much about how bad it hurt to ride horses.

RIP sir, and thanks for your service, and for the memories.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16373 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with radio Gunsmoke with William Conrad then to TV Gunsmoke with J Arness.Always interesting especially the way the program evolved over the years.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
He had to be 'up there' in years. I watched gunsmoke when I was a kid --- and I'm not young now! He looked really old in the last made for tv movie I saw him in. RIP marshall Dillion.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The folks my age ,there about, are so lucky we had heros to watch on TV.
Arness was one, it not, the one of the biggest.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met him at the Houston Rodeo in the 1960's. He was bigger than life back then and a nice guy.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still watch the old Gunsmoke on cable! Matt Dillion was a hero to a lot of kids back in those days.

Those of you who never got to hear "Festus" sing have missed out on a wonderful voice. He sang with the Son's Of The Pioneers.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote