The Accurate Reloading Forums
James Arness dies

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5221043/m/5811057651

04 June 2011, 04:11
Bill/Oregon
James Arness dies
I'm going to miss the big galoot. As an official aging baby boomer, there will always be a big place in my heart for Matt Dillon, Miss Kitty, Doc and Festus (and Chester before him).

Arness was the real deal, a wounded WWII vet (Anzio) who didn't talk much about how bad it hurt to ride horses.

RIP sir, and thanks for your service, and for the memories.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
04 June 2011, 04:51
mete
I started out with radio Gunsmoke with William Conrad then to TV Gunsmoke with J Arness.Always interesting especially the way the program evolved over the years.
04 June 2011, 14:41
buckeyeshooter
He had to be 'up there' in years. I watched gunsmoke when I was a kid --- and I'm not young now! He looked really old in the last made for tv movie I saw him in. RIP marshall Dillion.
04 June 2011, 17:05
arkypete
The folks my age ,there about, are so lucky we had heros to watch on TV.
Arness was one, it not, the one of the biggest.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

08 June 2011, 03:22
dogcat
I met him at the Houston Rodeo in the 1960's. He was bigger than life back then and a nice guy.
08 June 2011, 06:23
Blue Dog
I still watch the old Gunsmoke on cable! Matt Dillion was a hero to a lot of kids back in those days.

Those of you who never got to hear "Festus" sing have missed out on a wonderful voice. He sang with the Son's Of The Pioneers.