New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding the right Beer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently started trying different beer. I started with budwieser light and thought it was good, but not extremely smooth. Then I tried Coors light Very tasty much more smooth. I bought heiniken last night and tried it. Probably the smoothest of the 3, but the taste just isn't for me! I read the last thread on beer and am wondering if beers from the same area tend to taste similar? Since budwieser is from bush should I stay away from others from this area? Since I like samual adams and st pauli girl both from the highlands should I look for others from the highlands? What other beer might I like from my findings thus far?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i don't drink very much beer but i like miller's beer the best if i'm going to have one..... oh and the best beer is a free one!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try one of the Spaten brews - I like the Opitmator- its a dark beer- The Octoberfest is good and the Special. Hell, beer is GOOD

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
1 "budweiser" is NOT beer .. its fermented rice sugar in beechwood, with some hops and the LIGHTEST barley every ..

I've seen what they put int he brews here in the houston brewery .. its LESS than 10% barley ... NOT BEER ... ever

Rules for beer
1: wet
2: colder than room tmep

EVERYTHING else is variable.

Go get a bass, a harp, a bud american ale, and a shocktop .. all of these are at walmart, everyday.

put them in the fridge for 24 hours

pour a full glass of each, trying to not head it up ... at the same time

if you like none of these, then you don't like beer, you like american light beer ..

which aint beer

and NO, only grossly homogenized american overly commerical, no flavor, no hops, not nothing but MILD flavored "malt beverages" taste the same.

perfect temp for beer? between 50 and 38 degrees.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Boulevard makes several excellent beers. I found this one at the Walmart in Sidney, Nebraska. Easy to find around Kansas City. I have tried three or four of their other offerings. All are top-notch. Microbrews (less than 50,000 barrels a year) are always better than the horsepiss that leaves the plant as a syrup in a tank car. It gets the water put back into it and its carbon dioxide gas forced back into it at the local "brewery" in the nearest large metro area. "Tank car" beers are Bud and Miller, and the like. I don't bother drinking such crap, although I do like Keystone Red for slammin' down just for fun-- it's cheap at 50 cents a can. Good beer is a buck or more per bottle...

I suggest any of the Sierra Nevada brews, Negro Modelo Dark, Fat Tire Ale, Red Hook beers, Alaskan Amber Ale, Black Butte Porter...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Homebrewer on the pisswater that passes for beer that the major breweries peddle to the masses. Hell, the masses voted for Obama! Shows what they know. No wonder they'll buy that shit they call beer.

I used to do a lot of all-grain homebrewing myself but don't have the time anymore. He's right about the processing of their "beer". They save the CO2 that comes off the wort during the fermentation process ship it out in bulk, add water, then force carbonate with the CO2. You only have one liver, why waste it on that piss?

Try the Ommegang ales that are brewed in upstate NY, fantastic if you like Belgian style ales. Also you might try Warsteiner and Bischoff (Germany), Fischer d'Alsace (France), Staropramen (Czech Republic, goes well with CZ rifles Wink ), Duvel and Leffe (Belgium), Bass (England), etc.

Happy Drinking

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Miller High Life. Not the lite or genuine draft, try the original high life in bottles, very light and smooth!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
I recently started trying different beer. I started with budwieser light and thought it was good, but not extremely smooth. Then I tried Coors light Very tasty much more smooth. I bought heiniken last night and tried it. Probably the smoothest of the 3, but the taste just isn't for me! I read the last thread on beer and am wondering if beers from the same area tend to taste similar? Since budwieser is from bush should I stay away from others from this area? Since I like samual adams and st pauli girl both from the highlands should I look for others from the highlands? What other beer might I like from my findings thus far?

PLEASE stop drinking light beer, it's unrepresentative swill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:

rotflmoIf you notice I just copyed the "scotch" post and switched beers from scotch.
I dont drink any of that Rock gut, dizzy, nasty stuff, or yupy beerBig Grin

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

rotflmoIf you notice I just copyed the "scotch" post and switched beers from scotch.

What's your point then? To waste everyone's time by getting them to respond to troll bait? bewildered

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Another vote for Miller High Life. Not the lite or genuine draft, try the original high life in bottles, very light and smooth!

had a can of that with a good friend friday night.. traded him a lonestar for it ... the friend's company was great, including sharing a beer with him

however, if you HAVE to drink by the tanker beer, DO drink lone star ... it at least has taste

Sierra Nevada -- not a beer i suggest to anyone who only drinks american beers ... the hop profile is pretty strong ... i've only tried 4 or 5 of their brews, and their bittering hops are in WAY too long...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Shiner Black, Bock,

Budweiser American Ale

and my latest favorite
Negra Modelo

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Costco has a case of 4 different brews that were made up for them that is kind of fun.

4 distinctly different beers from hoppy to not.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

had a can of that with a good friend friday night.. traded him a lonestar for it ... the friend's company was great, including sharing a beer with him

however, if you HAVE to drink by the tanker beer, DO drink lone star ... it at least has taste

Sierra Nevada -- not a beer i suggest to anyone who only drinks american beers ... the hop profile is pretty strong ... i've only tried 4 or 5 of their brews, and their bittering hops are in WAY too long...

I've tried Lone Star and it was not to my taste.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Costco has a case of 4 different brews that were made up for them that is kind of fun.

4 distinctly different beers from hoppy to not.

I drank one of those cases. In the Kirkland box. Very good beer. Made in upstate New York. 24 bottles for twenty bucks. A good deal on good beer. Costco has several other cases of specialty beers in boxes marked other than Kirkland. There's one that's mostly black with neon printing on it. Check it out...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's start back at square one.

Four kinds of beers: Lager, Pilsner, Ale, Stout. Let's see if I can get this right. Lager and Pilsner are top fermented. Ale and Stout are bottom fermented. That affects fermentation temp and alcohol content.

What passes for "beer" in America is blonde pisswater. It's sort of a Pilsner or Lager but so processed that it may as well be colored soda water.

WWII, when women in the US were working in factories and stopping for a beer after work led to light, watery American beer.

If you want "real beer" find a micro brewery and get it fresh, on tap. Also, develop a repertoire of beers. It's not like a marriage. You can have more than one beer that you enjoy.

I'm big on the dark, malty, heavy stouts, followed closely by hoppy ales.

Google "beer." Also, History Channel has a program in "Modern Marvels" that discusses beer making.

Good beer doesn't come in a can for the most part.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah that was my post. Piss off!!! Scotch is expensive and I'd prefer to not buy stuff I don't like. That said I like most any type of beer aside from the Belgians. Stouts are my favorite. Murphy's, Samuel Smith's, and Young's are pretty hard to beat.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Fuller's ESB, closely followed by London pride as far as beer goes, in terms of lager a nice san miguel, corona, becks or stella ( if feeling tacky) goes a long way towards curing the thirst.

Guinness is separate and holy.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHube says,
quote:

One thing is for sure-- it's acquired taste...

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
GHube says,
quote:

I do actually understand this view, having hated it myself to begin with.

The usual conversion route is to be invited along to a saint Patrick's day piss-up of one description or another and to try the stuff actually brewed in Ireland.

It's a cliche but the proper Irish stuff is like cream and further more perfect with pork scratchings.

Do you guy's get a Fullers or other British Ales, beers, porters or stouts over there?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Despite an expensive and lengthy education I still can't spell!"

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way" ... Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens).

I ordered a Guiness once at a brew pub locally. The bartender sort of looked over his glasses, "You realize Guiness is served at room temperature?"

"Of course I do. Do you realize what a patronizing remark that is? Just bring me the beer."

He's probably French.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
GHube says,
quote:

my wife and her best friend say "its okay, for a diet beer .. do you have a true stout, rather than a dark porter?"

guiness IN THE OLD STYLE BOTTLE -- is bitter .

WHy?
guiness is meant to have nitrogen as the gas, NOT co2 .. and certainly not the old style bitter bottles.

draft or drought, the only way to drink it .. then it's creamy, sweet, and mild.

yes, i said creamy, sweet and mild when desribing guiness

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My favorite beers are brewed in Shiner, TX and Mexico, dark & light. Not being trendy, it's what I prefer.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
GHube says,
quote:

my wife and her best friend say "its okay, for a diet beer .. do you have a true stout, rather than a dark porter?"

guiness IN THE OLD STYLE BOTTLE -- is bitter .

WHy?
guiness is meant to have nitrogen as the gas, NOT co2 .. and certainly not the old style bitter bottles.

draft or drought, the only way to drink it .. then it's creamy, sweet, and mild.

yes, i said creamy, sweet and mild when desribing guiness

You sound like man who has had a proper pint or two of Guinness in his time. beer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ghubert
Thank you sir, I have .. i love guiness, deeply and truely .. like one's first real sweetheart .

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years ago I visted the British Virgin Islands with my ex-wife and her family. We went into a pub and ordered up pints of Guinness. None of us could finish, was like drinking straight bourbon whiskey as I recall. Didn't get much sailing that afternoon.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Just a few I like
(the BIG list is TOO long)

Baltika No. 6 Porter

Spaten Optimator

San Migel Dark

Warsteiner

Kwak

Pilsner Urquell

Taj Mahal

Beers to consider:

http://www.wbb.com.au/review2.html

http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Ratings-Top50.asp

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/...s-Best-Bottled-Beers

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0X0:
quote:
"Despite an expensive and lengthy education I still can't spell!"

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way" ... Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens).

I ordered a Guiness once at a brew pub locally. The bartender sort of looked over his glasses, "You realize Guiness is served at room temperature?"

"Of course I do. Do you realize what a patronizing remark that is? Just bring me the beer."

He's probably French.

Nice!!! I love it!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
My favorite....

African: Kilimanjaro
Alaskan: Glacier Brewhouse Stout
American: New York Brew Co Black Chocolate Stout
Australian: Fosters (I haven't tried anything else. Please advise!)
European: Hoegarden
Indian: Taj
Japaneese: Kirin Ichiban
Mexican: Pacifico
UK: Murphy's Stout, Telley's Ale, Old Speckaled Hen, or Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (Hard to say!)

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one drinks any of the many fine varieties Sam Adams has to offer? The Hefeweiser, Coastal Wheat, Winter, and Oktoberfest Lagers are great just to name a few.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I'm with Brett i love Hoegaarden. I also like Shropshire Lad and Timothy Taylor's.

When i go to Africa i like the Castle lager.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
No one drinks any of the many fine varieties Sam Adams has to offer? The Hefeweiser, Coastal Wheat, Winter, and Oktoberfest Lagers are great just to name a few.

I like the Boston lager and Oktoberfest. Don't care for the wheat beers of any kind. Haven't tried any of the others. Sam is actually a distant relative of mine.

Brett: VB is a good Aussie beer. Victoria Bitter is what the VB stands for IIRC. Not sure if you can get it in the states, at least I've never seen it anywhere, so a lot of good this will do you. Big Grin

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Hawaii a couple of Decembers ago on my 30th anniversary. For some reason the food store near our timeshare had Sam Adams Oktoberfest for something like $5.00 per six pack. I was only in this location for four days so I bought six sixes. Only thing "inexpensive" I found in Hawaii
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beer is somewhat like women, various ones are better for various occasions. For instance, the one who cooks the best might not be, and probably isn't, the one who is best in bed. Of course, the same goes for the man as well. Also, what is gold to one person may be brass to another. A man's ex-wife I slept with a time or two years ago comes to mind........he swore she was the best ever, not even close IMO.

That said, for a light refreshing drink when I'm thirsty, or for instance, with sushi, I like Budweiser of all the commonly available US national brands. I don't give a damn if it doesn't meet jeffe's definition of beer, I'm drinking it, not signing a contract. I've tried Lone Star lately, and it is not bad, as a matter of fact a helluva lot better than it used to be, but how it won a prize is amazing to me.

I've tried and rejected at least a dozen wheat beers, here and in Germany out of the tap. Some were better than others, but none of them suited my tastes.

I tend not to like sweet flavors in my beer.

I don't like most Stouts, I prefer to eat my dinner, not drink it. I don't like beers that pretend to be wines, which includes many of the Belgian brews.

Corona is a blot on the good name of Mexican beers. Among the good ones are Negra Modelo, Dos Equis, green and amber, Leon Negra, Tecate, Bohemia and Superior. I also don't care much for Carta Blanca but it's much better than Corona or Sol or Pacifico IMO. There are at least 3 Mexican beers I haven't tried that I'd like to, Indio, Victoria, and Montejo but I haven't run into them either in my travels in Mexico or in the States. Femsa, the biggest beer producer in Mexico, was just this month purchased by Heineken, whether that will affect the quality of some of their excellent beers remains to be seen.

I tried all the commonly available beers in Namibia and I found Tafel to be several notches above the rest.

Beck's Dark is a fine, middle of the road darker beer which is drinkable without a tooth strainer.

I like most IPAs IF they hold the hops down to a dull roar.

Fat Tire makes some good beers. I like some of Sam Adams products, including their standard. I recently tried Sierra Nevadas "Celebration" which is a good aperitif type beer. I like but don't love most of SN's beers.

I like Mickey's Pale Ale if you get it fresh.

One of the few downsides to living here in God's Country is that Yuengling beer is not available. A very fine brew.

There are some very good brews coming out of Texas, lead by the old standby Shiner Bock, but there are many others on a much smaller scale.

I find most brewpubs brews to be decent, but not as good as they claim them to be or think they are.

The list is just too long, I like most of them, especially if you're buying....... beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
pint or two of Guinness

A light beer is good now and then ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

that's what i said, jay

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm still tasting and trying Big Grin beer

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:

Sam Adams advertising puts me off. They all look like East Coast metrosexuals.

fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 to what CAT said,
I'll have what you're buying.

Or as a friend, when asked his choice, was heard to retort "Cold". beer

GWB