New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Grit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went and saw True Grit last night. Had to go alone. None of my friends will go. Some are even thinking of staging a protest.
I thought it was excellent. Jeff Bridges nailed it. I know, I will get flamed for this, but it is worth seeing. Hollywood just does not make movies like this anymore.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
I'm going to see it this afternoon. All the reviews I have read have said it is a very good movie.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went last Thursday and your right Jeff Bridges nailed it. And this time it is closer to the book then first one was. This one even looks like it was filmed in the territories or at least closer than the Sierra Nevada mountains rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent movie. A great re-do of the last one. I liked the ending in the 1st one better, but this one is an excellent movie. I like the new Matty Ross better than Kim Darby.

Posts: 10175 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
I'd give it a solid B. Jeff Bridges deserves an A for his role. The only disapointment is that it was almost a carbon copy of the old movie. Some of the dialog and scenes are word for word. The scene where Mattie is selling her father's horses is a good example.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not me. How can perfection be improved?

Mike

Posts: 21228 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't underestimate the Coen Bros.

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Not me. How can perfection be improved?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brad may:
Hollywood just does not make movies like this anymore.

I thought that this movie just came out. Where was it made?

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonE:
I thought that this movie just came out. Where was it made?

New Mexico and Granger, Texas

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Bride and I saw it last night. Good, very good, too bad the "Duke" did have the same script, etc. Bridges deserves an award of some sort for this, considering the degenerate flicks they are make these days.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I.m looking forward the seeing this, Jeff Bridges is a great actor, I liked his father Lloyd, too.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Bridges was good, and I enjoyed the movie...but for me it did not compare to the early version with Wayne.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen both movies, new and old, and they are both great on their own merit. I think Jeff Bridges and Hallie Stienfeld did a great job.

Posts: 103 | Location: southern wisconsin | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remaking True Grit, is nothing sacred? Will Casablanca be next? Has Hollywood run out of fresh ideas?

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Liked it...

Bridges is an excellent actor...

His version of Rooster is much grittier...

Suprised at the PG-13 rating...decent amount of blood and impact shots...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just read the review in the LATIMES.

Worth seeing.

I'll go and see it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are going tonight.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Two thumbs up!!!!

Hearing Mattie Ross mention her dady was to be burried in is "mason apron proper" and to then see his square and compass in his belongings tu2

Good movie!!!! sorta like the old but with modern technology in film.....the snakes looked to fake though. The begining is a bit different as is the ending. Matt Dammon was a dam-site better than Glen Camble.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I won't see it-- hope John Waynes ghost kicks Bridges ass!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When watching Bridges in this movie,,, i thought I could smell the whiskey and tobacco on his breath. He nailed it. I was and still am a huge John Wayne fan,, worth the watch,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
We saw it last week. Damn good movie, one of the best I've seen in a long time. Jeff Bridges was fantastic and Damon and the girl were good, too.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great movie,saw it twice in one week.Bridges was great,I agree with drwes about smelling the booze.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw it too, but you can't out cowboy John Wayne. Jeff Bridges did a wonderful job, but it made me realize how good John W. really was in all of his movies.

Every other character was better than the original, other than Tom Chaney, originally played by Robert Duvall.

There is also something to be said for the original Mattie Ross played by Kim Darby. She was always right, but never likeable. There are some real people like that, and I think it added some depth to the original movie that I didn't pick up on before.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave-t:
I saw it too, but you can't out cowboy John Wayne. Jeff Bridges did a wonderful job, but it made me realize how good John W. really was in all of his movies.

Every other character was better than the original, other than Tom Chaney, originally played by Robert Duvall.

There is also something to be said for the original Mattie Ross played by Kim Darby. She was always right, but never likeable. There are some real people like that, and I think it added some depth to the original movie that I didn't pick up on before.

Robert Duvall was Lucky Ned Pepper wasn't he?

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:

Duvall was Ned Pepper.

Barry Pepper is Ned Pepper in the new movie. He was also the sniper in "Saving Private Ryan".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went and saw it a second time. The new movie is advertized as being closer to the book. Just finished reading the book. I think the John Wayne movie was closer to the book. The ending in the new movie was just like the book in that Mattie lost her arm. But the Duke's movie was closer to the book for the rest of the movie.
After reading the book, most of the script was word for word from the book. If a script writer was paid he got paid for doing nothing.
Every line in the movie was taken directly from the book, except for the parts that were changed, which wasn't very much. Maybe 10 minutes of each movie.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

Yep, I had the characters mixed up there.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Jeff bridges is on fire. He has done a bunch of great roles lately but his role as rooster was the best. The girl who played the little girl was just awesome too. Made me wish if I did have a girl to have one like her. Worth seeing for sure.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still on the fence with this one.For me there was a lot of graphic violence (because we can) that was really unnecessary for telling the story.I do agree with drwes about being able to smell the booze and cigarettes, Bridges did nail that. Any one else notice he was shooting right handed with his right eye patched?? In the original Waynes left eye is patched,probably so he could shoot.

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took grandson to see it he liked it I did not like it at all. Must be the age difference.

Posts: 291 | Location: San Angelo, TX | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought both had their merits. How the hell did they do Barry Pepper's teeth? Prosthetic or digitally re-done? They really can work magic - those snakes did look fake, though!

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read the book, went to the original movie and the second.

The second movie is better. Bridges was absolutely excellent and Damon was light years ahead of Glenn Campbell.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Coen brothers did a great job. Mattie Ross was wonderfully played and Jeff Bridges was excellent. I thought however that Matt Damons accent was horrible, horrible, horrible. I've never heard a Texan talk like that.
The gun-play was very realistic and the horse work was good. Darn good flick, but I still vote for John Wayne.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Matt Damons accent was horrible, horrible, horrible. I've never heard a Texan talk like that.

Do you really think there was a Texas accent in the 1880's

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasjohn:
quote:
Matt Damons accent was horrible, horrible, horrible. I've never heard a Texan talk like that.

Do you really think there was a Texas accent in the 1880's

Yes..probably Spanish.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I liked the new one and the old one. Saw the new one, and three days later, the old one was running on cable. Both of them were good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought they were both good movies. I am a huge John Wayne fan and watched the original on blu-ray before I saw the new one. The new does follow the book more closely.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw the movie on opening day, and thought it was tremendous.

OK, here goes. Everybody pile on.

I am a big John Wayne fan, but I thought the original, as a movie, may have qualified as a contender as worst movie of all time. If it were possible to find two worse actors to bumble through a movie in major roles than Kim Darby and Glen Cambell, it would be hard to imagine. They should haave been banned from the screen.

Maybe it's a local Kentucky thing, but I always thought this was a generally held opinion. I have never met a single person who didn't share this view. I can remember when the original was running, and people were actually laughing and making jokes about it locally. It was a big point of disussion that John Wayne was involved with such a turkey.

I am not trying to start a flame war, but I actually found all these positive comments here surprising.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of older westerns and tend to love the work of the Coen Bros.

So no surprise I loved the Coen's True Grit and loathe just about any 50's-70's era westerns.

My other favorite western is 'Dead Man' starring Johnny Depp, directed by Jim Jarmusch.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote