Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Beer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beck's Dark is the best beer ever made.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Beck's Dark is the best beer ever made.

IF you really think so you should try some DAB dark.... that ought to warp your worldSmiler

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for the Sam Adams that started this?

Beer is much like women, different ones of different tastes, but since Samuel Adams Boston Lager has won more awards than any beer in history, one must really be proud of his tasting ability to say how poor one thinks it is.......

personally, I like it, but don't love it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
As for the Sam Adams that started this?

Beer is much like women, different ones of different tastes, but since Samuel Adams Boston Lager has won more awards than any beer in history, one must really be proud of his tasting ability to say how poor one thinks it is.......

personally, I like it, but don't love it.

Beer contests have largely been warped by judges that like hoppy brews and give poor marks for anything that isn't made to satisfy their tastes.

People go to great lengths to create progressively hoppier brews and those people also become judges.

Compare Sam Adams to most German Lagers sometime....

the Sam Adams is darker hoppier and heavier

It's not that people want to drink the sand
they drink it because they simply don't know the difference.

The modern beer climate is such that ad campaigns like the "Hops is the soul of beer"
are believed as gospel by the uneducated masses.

beer is supposed to be about "balance" not one ingredient at the expense of all others.

It's the specific balance that makes the different styles distinct and by making ALL of them hoppier Sam Adams and Jim Koch has missed the point.

Yes, Boston Lager? Yes, it's "good beer" but there are better, they just don't spend all their time patting themselves on the back
in SEEKING awards.

Where I have issue with Sam Adams is making people believe that ALL beers should be strongly hopped. and I listed specific examples in my previous posts.

There was an english monarch that outlawed the use of hops in beer because brewers that loved hops were invlved in another "hoppier than thou"
beer race to the detriment of the Kings sensibilities.

Beer need contain NO hops whatseoever and it's still BEER.

You don't need a refined tasting ability to tell, you just need to educate yourself by trying the REAL, ORIGINAL beers that Sam Adams is allegedly trying to copy.

My issue with Sam Adams is that he likes the names he puts on his beers and ales but he has no apparrent desire to make the contents match the label in many cases...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those "REAL ORIGINAL" Beers are in many of the contests too. As I said, it's a matter of tastes, but your suggestion that all the judges in those dozens of contests are somehow brainwashed or addicted to hoppy beers is probably reflective of your bias, not theirs.

While no longer a law, Reinheitsgebot only allowed three ingredients, water, barley, and hops. Beer would have been pretty damn boring if you left hops out of it, just as most non-hop beers today are, if not boring, weird. Why anyone would want to drink a "blackberry" beer, among many other stupid beer ideas (note TO MY TASTES) is beyond me, but obviously some people do and more power to them, just don't serve me any of it Roll Eyes.

I feel the same about wheat beers. I've drank dozens of them, both US and German in Germany and have yet to find one that is as good as a decent lager TO MY TASTES. I don't like sweet beer. BTW the sainted idea that Germans make such wonderful beer is mostly BS IMO. While it is certainly good on draught in Germany, it ain't THAT good, which is why most of them are not showing very well in many of the major contests today. OTOH I'm sure there are dozens of localized German brews which are excellent that I haven't tried since it would be a lifetime's effort to try them all, but it is a reasonable goal. Smiler

But, prosit and enjoy your flavor of beer. beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Beck's at home. Guinness when I'm out and about. Just realized those are my 2 favorite beers and I'm 1/2 german and 1/2 irish. Guess its genetic predisposition.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
North Coast Brewing Co. 'Old Rasputin, just test driving this Russian Imperial Stout today for first time. Clocking 9 % alcohol, great lace, fine finish, you will see the difference in this stout. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote