Find
Notify
Tools

No Scotch for me
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Peaty as in your description or you could also use smoky as an equally good description........ but I'm surprised you can taste any of the subtleties if you're adding ice! Wink

I had a friend send me some Maker's Mark a few years ago and it's the only time I've tried it but certainly very nice. beer

I'm not a great fan of gin nowadays at all but the occasional vodka martini is nice on a hot summers evening. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you MUST have something other than whisky on a hot evening try rum & soda with lime.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it is hot I like Gin and Tonic.

Bombay Saphire is my favorite Gin.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've never been much of a rum drinker but anything with a slice of lemon in it is always miles nicer with lime instead of lemons....... and oh boy, do I have a surplus of limes every bloody year! Eeker

I've already started picking them up and within a month, I'll be picking up 150-200 a week at least. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I agree. Limes go better with a good rum than lemons.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I've never been much of a rum drinker but anything with a slice of lemon in it is always miles nicer with lime instead of lemons....... and oh boy, do I have a surplus of limes every bloody year! Eeker

I've already started picking them up and within a month, I'll be picking up 150-200 a week at least. Roll Eyes

Would you like some help with that lime situation??

beer

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was ruined on Bell's 20 year old when I was stationed in Britan.
The stuff was great and price was cheap. But when I came back stateside I found it was not available or expensive as hell.

Now I drink Makers Mark. Nice flavor.

John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the little things...
The way a glass feels in your hand, a good glass, thick, with a heavy base...

I love the sound an ice cube makes, when you drop it from just the right height...

To high, and it will chip when you drop it...
Chip the ice and it will melt too fast in the Scotch.....

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
try Ardbeg it has a nice Smokey flavor

tu2

I prefer Makers Mark but I do like the smokey scotch that comes from Islay. Bowmore is another nice one.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I knew i liked you!! Scotch is for winter and Gin is for summer.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the current Coryvrecken (sp) from Ardbeg. Had some while I was there last winter and secured a case. Wow!

one of us
posted Hide Post
ICE... I will admit I like ICE in anything I drink except for coffee, hot tea, or hot coco...

Again, I say drink what you like, the way you like it...

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I KNEW you were a good, civilised, man! Bombay S is my favourite too, but I like it on the rocks in the summer while out lying next to the pool.

The rest of the year I used to prefer Scotch & Soda, but now prefer just plain Irish, either neat or with a tiny skosh of ice and soda.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
When I was in seventh grade I drank half a bottle of Johhny Walker Red...............that was the last time I drank scotch.

Needless to say if I even smell the stuff I get dry heaves...........

That was the first and the last time I ever passed out, no matter what copious amount or combination of alcohol, hallucinogens, opiates etc I imbibed, dropped, popped, smoked, etc

Now give me a good bottle of Pappy Van Winkles bourbon.......

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1/2 pt everclear = $.50
1 Big orange = .10

Getting blitzed for $.60 when you're a kid = priceless

'Course, if you were flush, you could use everclear and Gypsy Rose wine.

I, of course, only know about this stuff from hearsay and travel brocures. Never first hand.
Whistling

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a blended scotch, Famous Grouse. I have tried all the rich, peaty, smokey.....and I don't enjoy the flavor. Too strong for my puppy ass I guess.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
When I take a shot of scotch it tastes bitter and burns so I always choose the best and smoothest in the house. After a few drinks it starts to taste more mild so I can switch to a lesser grade. After a few more drinks anything tastes smooth so I can move to the really cheap stuff with the sort of label you see on the bottles in alleys and gutters. Then, after a few more, you can give me lighter fluid and I'll swear it's the best 25 year bonded stuff ever dripped into a bottle.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I like a blended scotch, Famous Grouse. I have tried all the rich, peaty, smokey.....and I don't enjoy the flavor. Too strong for my puppy ass I guess.

I'm not sure I find the single malts too strongly flavoured...but most of them I simply don't like. I am not a connesieur or whisky snob. I just like what I like, whether cheap, expensive, new, or old. And I'm with you. I happen to like blends a lot better than almost all single malts.

I suspect lots of the Scots do too, or the blends might not be so abundantly produced.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote