New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Scotch for me
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing worse than Scotch and a stinky cigar if you ask me. Never saw the pleasure in either one. thumbdown

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Nothing worse than Scotch and a stinky cigar if you ask me. Never saw the pleasure in either one. thumbdown

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Nothing worse than a person who doesn't get the concept of Scotch and a stinky cigar. thumbdown

jumping

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Right you are! Like sticking your head in a tire fire, then trying to get rid of the taste by drinking diesel fuel. Come to think of it, scotch and diesel swirl the same in a glass.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there is always a good cigar and a great Lager.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Tony: It was Laphroaig that convinced me I'm no Scotch drinker...

Unfortunately a bad Laphroaig experience will just about ruin you for any of the peatier scotches, which is going to include just about anything from the Islay and Island regions. The exception problably being Lagavulin 16 which has such a full flavor the peat is secondary.

My bet, however, is that you would enjoy some of the Highland and Speyside scotches such as Oban, Glengoyne, Cragganmore, Glenmorangie and the variey of Macallans, which to me have more of a wood and fruit flavor.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
... a wonderful book on malts called 'The Malt Whisky File' by John Lamond and Robin Tucek and it explained everything in simple terms....

Thanks for the heads up. Just placed my order on Amazon. beer

I also have a Single Malt Flavour Map that charts various scotches based on delicate to smokey and light to rich flavors. It's in a PDF and I'm not sure how to post it here. I'm sure it can be found online as well.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
I've never been able to develop a taste for the strong peaty, smoky Scotch. I do; however, love a good Irish whisky. It has become my most often imbibed during most of the year. In the summer on the sailboat though it's gin and tonic with lime.

Any suggestions on a Scotch that's smooth and mellow like Irish?

I'd say give Glenlivet or Auchentoshan or Deanston a try if you want something a bit delicate and smooth. Especially the last two.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Let me know what you think of the book and feel free to email the pdf to me at shakari3@mweb.co.za and I'll be happy to post it for you.

I haven't tried the last 2 you mention but will look out for them........ might have to wait until I go overseas though as it's unlikely we'll find it here. Thanks for the suggestion.

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Steve,

The email is on its way. If you like Islays, I bet you would like Springbank. However, most liquor stores here don't even carry it so I don't know how much luck you would have findingn it there. As for the last two I mentioned above, they may be a bit simple in flavor for you, but that is the way I find Irish whiskies.

Cheers,

George

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here you go chaps..... now this really is a useful document!

George,

Thanks buddy...... any malt is rare out here and when we can get one, we usually have to take what's there rather thah have a choice...... and it's also usually a helluva price here.

The good news is that I'll almost certainly be going to the UK later this year to meet my first Grandchild for the first time, so I'll have the opportunity to try a few and the reason to do it! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the reason to do it!

rotflmo hilbily jumping animal jumping

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jorge,

Let me know what you think of the book...

Steve,

I received it today and it looks to be a great resource. The maps will be useful for a golf trip in the near future. I especially like the sweetness and peatiness ratings and was surprised to learn that some of my favorites (Oban and Cragganmore for example) rate as high as 7 on the peatiness scale when I don't find them all that peaty. This will give me reason to stop by the liquor store a time or two in the near future.

Amazon recommended another book as well and since it was cheap and I ordered it. It's called "The Instant Expert's Guide to Single Malt Scotch". It could easily be called the Dummy's Guide to Scotch. It would be great for the novice of newbie scotch drinker. Anyone contemplating a tour of distilleries in Scotland, attending a scotch tasting or having to suffer through a weekend with a high-brow father-in-law who is the world's expert on single-malt would benefit mightily from this book. 30 minutes with this book and you can old your own with anyone.

Cheers,

George

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Any suggestions on a Scotch that's smooth and mellow like Irish?

Rick makes a good suggestion!

Try Balvenie Doublewood or Portwood. - Look out for price though as one is helluva lot more expensive than the other.... can't remember which though!

Balvenie is a Speyside malt and fairly sweet, full bodied and mellow and although very different to it's neighbour, Glenfiddich, it is IMO miles nicer.

CrossL recommended glenlivet which is also a speyside malt. Slightly sweeter but still well worth trying and usually a good price.

Bill,

If you like limes in your booze, I have a surplus of the bloody things for about 8 months of every year! rotflmo

The Balvenie is excellent!
If you like Balvenie and want something similar but cheaper the nicest "cheap" single Malt I've had is Speyburn.
I could get by with only those 2 the rest of my Scotch drinking life!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
Not much of an alcohol drinker at all, but I loves me some stinky cigars! Big Grin

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Balvenie Double Wood. Or try any sherry barrel scotch. The good thing is that you may get to try alot of scotches before you find your favorite.

For burbon, Knob Creek.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I have every intention to continue my search for the perfect Scotch until the day I die.
Whilst I may never succeed in my endeavour, I am certain the attempt will be enjoyable.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
I have every intention to continue my search for the perfect Scotch until the day I die.
Whilst I may never succeed in my endeavour, I am certain the attempt will be enjoyable.

And gentlemen, I'll drink to that!

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would like to offer my assitance in this noble endever.

HICK

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaspheme alert - I'm currently drinking a scotch from......INDIA! Hey, it was a gift, and I've had worse.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of Whisky from Colorado. Not bad, not great, but drinkable!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have a bottle of Whisky from Colorado. Not bad, not great, but drinkable!

That's because it's Whisky and not Whiskey. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having visited the doctor this afternoon to learn the results of certain tests, I have been informed that continuing my search will certainly curtail it whilst drastically hastening my demise & be most unpleasant in the latter stages.
It appears my liver has suffered somewhat from years of regular but not excessive enjoyment & I must forthwith limit myself to no more than eight beers or whiskies a week.

Oh woe is me. CRYBABY

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jorge400, all Scotch is considered to be "Whisky"
Whiskey refers to Bourbons and the like.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Jorge400, all Scotch is considered to be "Whisky"
Whiskey refers to Bourbons and the like.

I might have been drinking whisky when I wrote that.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Heresy !

Oh well , more fore me-- dancing

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here you go chaps..... now this really is a useful document!

Useful--
but leaves out some very good ones--

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out in my youth drinking beer (Who didn't?) and later bourbon- then gravitated to scotch. For some time I drank blended scotch.
Then I had occasion to try single malt scotch and have never looked back. Have tried different ones but my current favorite is Glenlivet.

One of life's great pleasures is to have a good single malt scotch before sitting down to a good steak (fillet, porterhouse, ribeye, prime rib- did I forget one?) with a good cabernet.
Depending on your pocketbook, you might substitute "great" for "good". You may also add a tossed green salad and maybe a baked potato- and french bread.

If ever you are in the highlands of Scotland, near Pitlochry, you must visit the town, one of the prettiest ever I saw. There is a distillery there, by the name of Edradour Distillery, which I believe is owned by the same ownership as that of Glenlivet. We had a nice visit and tasting there. I still have a wee bit of the bottle left.

Yes, scotch is an acquired taste and, except for an occasional Wild Turkey, I do not drink bourbon much anymore. As with some others, I have also seen it wise to cut back on the alcohol- at my age.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes for most, once you go to Scotch you can never go back to Whiskey, with an E...

It is an acquired taste.

And there are so many different Scotch Whiskys, with so many different flavors.

Strange thing, there is No WhiskEy [see the E], that I would prefer to any Whisky [notice No E].

Again, I say, drink what you like, and enjoy.

I am drinking Laphroaig 10 Year Old Scotch right now...

GOOD AND GOOD FOR YA... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No scotch for me, I'm a dedicated wino myself. Except for crab and crawfish boils, then I like Caronas, muey bueno.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lagavullin. My last bad habit.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
Lagavullin. My last bad habit.

Good stuff.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olguy:
I started out in my youth drinking beer (Who didn't?) and later bourbon- then gravitated to scotch. For some time I drank blended scotch.
Then I had occasion to try single malt scotch and have never looked back. Have tried different ones but my current favorite is Glenlivet.

One of life's great pleasures is to have a good single malt scotch before sitting down to a good steak (fillet, porterhouse, ribeye, prime rib- did I forget one?) with a good cabernet.
Depending on your pocketbook, you might substitute "great" for "good". You may also add a tossed green salad and maybe a baked potato- and french bread.

If ever you are in the highlands of Scotland, near Pitlochry, you must visit the town, one of the prettiest ever I saw. There is a distillery there, by the name of Edradour Distillery, which I believe is owned by the same ownership as that of Glenlivet. We had a nice visit and tasting there. I still have a wee bit of the bottle left.

Yes, scotch is an acquired taste and, except for an occasional Wild Turkey, I do not drink bourbon much anymore. As with some others, I have also seen it wise to cut back on the alcohol- at my age.

Pitlochry is one our all time favorite places to visit. Hell, any where in the Highlands of Scotland would be fine with me!

A little whisky a great steak and a fine wine. . .Ain't life great!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh Rusty- kindred souls! And, loved the people of the highlands.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What's even better olguy, is that my daughter married a fellow from Glasgow. Scotland is even better with a native tour guide!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
One is too many and a millions not enough.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The only drinks I absolutely detest are Everclear, and Bourbon...oh yes, and Rum too.

However, I love a good Scotch and Soda, even a "bad" Martini, Irish Whiskey of all sorts, anytime, Gin on the rocks when sitting by the pool in AZ's mild 115-120 degree warm days (it's a "dry" heat), NZ Double Brown Bitter Beer, and both Mead liqeur (SP?) and Whiteways hard cider from the U.K.

Other than that, good stiff coffee (two scoops to the cup) is my drink of choice. I drink at least two pots of that per day.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty- Now you're just rubbing it in.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it must be scotch, i'll have a lowlands, please.

if it must be a whiskey, thanks, maker's mark.

if its my call? hendrix gin! (thanks to dagored for the suggestion)

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jeffe you should discover "Blue Coat" Gin.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Maker's Mark guy.

I just got introduced to Dalmore Single Highlands Malt 12 year.

I'm not sure of the nomenclature of descriptive's to tell you what I'm tasting, but I'm told "peaty" as in peat moss. I know Scotch is an aquired taste, but this one I'm acquiring a taste for especially on ice.

I've got a line on 2 cases (48 bottles) pretty cheap. It wholesales for 36$/bottle