THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Hey Biebs - 500 bushwacker

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Biebs - 500 bushwacker Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5L_o7lQcqc

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, not for me! I sold off my 454 Casull as I didn't want/need that much horsepower in a handgun. If I need something that powerful I'll use a rifle.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Several years ago I was at the SHOT show + was talking to the S+W rep, the 1st year they came out with the titanium 44 mag. + the rep told me how painful they were to shoot. He said he never shot a full cylinder full, just figured, why bother.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, same goes for the titanium 357 that weights 12oz unloaded. Even with 38 +P ammunition, it's like hitting yourself in the palm with a ballpeen hammer...it is unshootable. Handguns are for self-defense and short range hunting....no need for 3,000 ft/lb of energy. Use a rifle.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Jeff, not for me! I sold off my 454 Casull as I didn't want/need that much horsepower in a handgun. If I need something that powerful I'll use a rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.500_Bushwhacker

The wikipedia page has it on par with a 500 jeffe - 510gr at 2141, 5,200 ft/lb -- in a 10" barrel

but you are right -- i dislike shooting anything worse than 250gr at 1,000 fps in my 625 .. the 454, 460, 500(in any flavor) i can shot a time or two -- but i've been a computer jockey, at least part time, for nearly 45 years... carpal tunnel is real ... and even when i was younger, nerve damage is real ....

but my shoulder is totally numb!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember Ken Greenlee here...AKA Bigdoggytwobore? He had a smith make him a revolver in 460 Wby. First time he shot it it exploded and broke his hand. He had it rebuilt. He was tight with Safarikid...both of them were big bore nuts. RIP to both.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
After I retired from newspaper editing and went to work part-time at Sportsman's Warehouse, we had a retired physician come in and buy one of the scandium-framed Smith .44s. I tried to warn him about the recoil issues, but he brushed it off, saying he was a serious hiker/backpacker and didn't want any more weight, and that it would be fine. About two weeks later he came back for another more sensible revolver and told me he wished he had taken my counsel more seriously as he agreed the revolver was essentially unshootable and he had sold it at quite a loss.
The Kentucky Ballistics guy is a nut but he is entertaining. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless I am where big bears are (and then I usually just switch to a Bisley in 45 Colt) my Scandium is loaded with 180 gr 44 Specials running fairly hot. Not enjoyable bit manageable.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1051 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

I have a Ruger in 454 Casuul, 7 1/2" barrel. It's fun at the range but I don't carry it ever. I like my Springfield V16 in 45 Super for a woods carry gun.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That'll get a bear's attention :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
After I retired from newspaper editing and went to work part-time at Sportsman's Warehouse, we had a retired physician come in and buy one of the scandium-framed Smith .44s. I tried to warn him about the recoil issues, but he brushed it off, saying he was a serious hiker/backpacker and didn't want any more weight, and that it would be fine. About two weeks later he came back for another more sensible revolver and told me he wished he had taken my counsel more seriously as he agreed the revolver was essentially unshootable and he had sold it at quite a loss.
The Kentucky Ballistics guy is a nut but he is entertaining. Cool

Must not have been a hand loader.

I load my TI 41 to a manageable level the same with my 20oz 357.

Just because it says magnum doesn't mean one has to load it so.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote