THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    GS FN solids on Plainsgame

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GS FN solids on Plainsgame Login/Join

one of us
posted
Based on limited use I have found the 416 and 375 GS FN solids seem to kill antelope and deer about as well as expanding bullets.

I would like to hear from others who have used this bullet on plainsgame and especially from Gerard whom I'm sure has had some field reports on this...

I have noticed the same in TCCI and Barnes solids that I used to flatten the nose on in my drill press..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I used 500 grain .474 grain GS custom solids on impala. They worked as well as soft Hawks, which also did not expand. The GS punched very neat cookie cutter holes that bled quite nicely.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I have never been a Hawk fan, most of them fail one way or the other..I've shot a lot of game with the Hawks and never know what to expect from them...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I shot a Hawk 750 grain .585 bullet through an elephant shoulder (dead elephant, just for fun). It went through the shoulder and hat 2.5 feet of penetration. I haven't weighed it, but I would estimate it lost more than half of its weight. It opened up like a pancake, but did not break apart.

I also shot a Hawk 500 grain .474 broadside into a kudu. It was similarly pancaked between the ribs on the opposite side but did not break apart. That was on a live animal, 2nd shot. First was a Woodleigh soft which penetrated 4 feet before coming to rest.

I don't deny that you have had bullet failures from Hawks. I just use Hawks where I want to be SURE to get expansion. To be honest, I consider them varmint bullets, but in heavy bullet weights at slow velocities, they seem to do ok.

Just an aside, the PH I used said he has seen far too many bullet failures (breakups) from Hornady and Nosler on plains game. Consequently, he wants hunters to use Swift, Barnes or Woodleigh softs, or more preferably solids on buffalo.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with your assesment on the Hawks and most of your described experiences tell me that your bullets were too soft and near seperation and had the angle been increased, you would have had full seperaton with those Hawks...

I suspect the PH, like most PH's was expelling his beliefs and prejudices, but like most PH's he is probably a better hunter that bullet technition, if he saw any Noslers come apart then I'm sure it was just the front blowing off, for the most part, and thats exceptable. I agree with him on the use of solids but a lot of PH with a lot of experience like softs on Buffalo...that arguments been for awhile..I have seen Swift, NOsler and Woodleigh come apart, but only on rare ocassions and that is to be expected...In fact I have seen solids come apart when driven to fast in some HV big bores.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray I know you are not a HV man but I have to ask. What kind of velocities are you getting out of those FN's? Are you able to pick up that extra velocity or are you just going for the lower pressure? "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I have shot quite a few kangaroos and a few pigs with 375 300 grain Hornady Round Noses loaded backwards.

Not quite African plains game and also more "severe" than GS FN solids

Ranges were close as it was in the spotlight. Accuracy was not real good.

But they sure rolled them over

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortly after we launched the FNs a number of years back, a gent who did experimental work for Somchem Ballistic Labs, shot an eland with a 9.3x62 and the 270 gr FN. By his own admission, the shot went a bit high through the lungs and the eland moved too fast for him to get off a second shot. Nevertheless, it only went about 35 paces and went down. Neat entry and exit holes with the lungs almost completely destroyed and a lot of blood in the chest cavity. Many trophy hunters use the 270, 7mm and 308 FNs on dik-dik and other very small animals. The effect on the soft, fluid filled organs is very damaging but meat and cape survives well. The taxidermists love FN bullets.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
DHunter,
about 2300 to 2400 in the 416 and 2600 in the 375....

I know the GS FN in a 404 kills Buffalo better than anything I have ever used, blood loss and internal damage is close to a soft point and penitration is complete.. That is all I will use from now on in my big bores for Buffalo and probably everything else, but schools still out on that..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. I will use them as soon as I can get loads worked up and get to the woods. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

One thing I would like to known, I think GS makes a 416 in 335grain bullet,how flat will that shoot vs a 375 and does it shoot as flat for plain game.I would like to known the BC of the GS flat nose,maybe instead of DGR in 375 I will take the 416.I just would like to known the trajectory of the 335 GSFN. THANKS,KEV ,correct me if I am wrong I think you can get 2900fps from a 416 335 GSFN

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev,
I e-mailed you the external ballistics of the 375 H&H and 416 RM. The bullets are 375 265HV and 416 330HV. Effectively, they have the same path, wind drift and time of flight. The differences lie with energy and momentum. All the FN bullets have BC values around 0.200 to 0.240 and have G1 drag profiles.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

<Terry P>
posted
I might be interested in trying the 410gr GS in my Ruger 416 Rigby. Are these bullets crimped between the driving bands ? It seems there would be less friction and I'm wondering if a crimp would be needed. I was looking at the Barnes manual and they show the 400gr X loaded to about 2600 fps with 6000 ft. lbs. energy.
Have any of you tried the 410 gr in the 416 Rigby?

[This message has been edited by Terry P (edited 12-23-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard, what's the correct drag profile for the HV:s? G5? Is it the same for 264 and 375?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry P,
Have a look at http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002972.htmln for crimping of FN bullets. Also rather use the 380 gr FN than the 410 gr FN. A couple of PHs twisted my arm to produce the 410 and after they tested both, no one is buying the 410 for the 416 Rigby or the 416 RM.

Wachtel,
We have a few HVs that are G1 such as the 40 gr 224, the 62 gr 243 and the 145 gr .30. The majority are G5 and we have some G7. I should have listed the drag profiles in the tech data tables on our site from the beginning and will do so as soon as the load data section is more complete. The 375265HV and the 264110HV are both G5.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets