THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What .500 cartridge for a Mauser 98?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What .500 cartridge for a Mauser 98? Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a PH's issue with reloading has NOTHING to do with a guy from OZ asking what 500 on a mauser, when he BLATANTLY asks regarding wildcts as well.

When it comes down to "well, yeah, but how many elephants have YOU shot" or some other ridiculous "only in africa" contrived circumstance, I usually just block the thread in my mind and move on.

why? Because it has now entered the "it doesn't matter" zone ... Less than 1% of gun sales are africa suitable bigbores (oh, a custom smith's numbers skew that, but that's not an important PERCENTAGE of all guns sold) .. and probably less than 10% of those owners actually GO to africa ... and what, 20% of those on safari take DG ?

Its gets better ... ZERO precent of clients RELOAD there (jim shockly's muzzle loader doesn't count) ...

So, in the case of .01*.00001*0=why it matters that it can't be reloaded in africa.

yeah, over the top? sure... why not, these are big bores, and by nature are over the top

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39565 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

e-mail sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
a PH's issue with reloading has NOTHING to do with a guy from OZ asking what 500 on a mauser, when he BLATANTLY asks regarding wildcts as well.

When it comes down to "well, yeah, but how many elephants have YOU shot" or some other ridiculous "only in africa" contrived circumstance, I usually just block the thread in my mind and move on.

why? Because it has now entered the "it doesn't matter" zone ... Less than 1% of gun sales are africa suitable bigbores (oh, a custom smith's numbers skew that, but that's not an important PERCENTAGE of all guns sold) .. and probably less than 10% of those owners actually GO to africa ... and what, 20% of those on safari take DG ?

Its gets better ... ZERO precent of clients RELOAD there (jim shockly's muzzle loader doesn't count) ...

So, in the case of .01*.00001*0=why it matters that it can't be reloaded in africa.

yeah, over the top? sure... why not, these are big bores, and by nature are over the top

Jeff:

Perhaps some of what you say is true but you still have to be able to get brass.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

Assuming you can get brass, what is the absolute easiet route to a .500 AR?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
brass is easy . can get from qualcart, headstamped and formed, or can use rigby, die formed works FINE.

easist route?
send a ruger/win70/commerical mauser to mcgowen or jim kobe, wait 4-8 weeks, and specify sights and bluing.

it is a 2+1 setup, exactly like a weatherby big bore, and a cz is kinda long .. but you CAN use a cz550 and work from there. Rodney did his that way, and had it at the hoot n shoot last weekend.

dies -$125, on hand
brass .. can be made from rigby or spec brass.. can even turn the belt off weatherby, but results in an undersized case .. i haven't had good luck fireforming 338 lapua, but i didn't really try very hard.

476AR,

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
To add to what Jeffe said, all those options feed hunting bullets from the magazine but 50 BMG bullets have to be single-loaded.

One option pending (I know I'll catch crap for bringing up the "phantom" PH action" but here it goes...) is that if the PH becomes a production reality, it will feed the 500 AR from the magazine with 50 BMG bullets too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Duane- Why not get into the re-heat treating issue? You do re-heat treat your M98's dont you? Come on- enlighten us a little. Enquiring minds want to know!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Guys, Duane is spot on about PH rifles and chamberings. My PH was impressed by the 450 Dakota I brought for buffalo. His only concern about having a CZ in the fraternal twin 450 Rigby was a steady source of factory ammunition. Here we have unlimited choices, there they have "what is available". He really thought the 550 would be a real Elephant stomper, but where would he get ammunition? Greatest hunting on earth, very limited access to reloading supplies and chamberings. If we had the freedoms there we enjoy here, I would be moved over about 18 minutes after I finished packing up all my rifles and gear. Just one medium Conex container full and my Dodge Diesel P/U.

Rich

I disagree that no PHs reload or use wildcats. George Hoffman used a wildcat. I believe Roy Vincent did also.

I Zimbabwe reloading was somewhat common when I was there in 2003. My appie had a gunsmith that did his reloading.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

But way more than one .500 Jeffery rifle I have seen or heard tell of has had feeding problems - including the rifle that led to the near death experience I posted above.

Big Grin

MR:

I am anxious to follow up on your post. Can you please give me the names of the person or pesons who had feeding problems with their .500 Jefferys that you have personally seen. I would also like to contact the PH you made reference too to follow up on exactly what happend. If you could provide his name, it would indeed be helpful.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to cause trouble, I'm just curious, can the 500's be done on Springfields? You never hear of that, I know it isn't the ideal action mausers are, but some guys like different stuff. 458's have been done (myth?) I know 416 taylors work. what about the 500 jeff or 500 ar?

the ar has enough shoulder?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Red,
I've seen 458 winmags on springfields.. i've down 416 AR, which means all of the 4xx ars would work. The 500ar has plenty of shoulder

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
but would the 500ar work? not enough meat in the ring? I'm just curious.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Red,
I don't know ... i love springfields ... but, you know, i just don't know .. if i have a good 1903aX, then it probably would .. but, timing would be more of a concern for me, and full length round extraction .. the timing would be the fun part.

I would try it on a decent 1903a3

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB,

didn't say can't happen, just that it was uncommon. My PH has a friend come from Australia every year and bring him Woodleigh bullets for his 458 Lott and 416 Rigby. They get all crazy there about head stamps, and having reloading equipment. Why do you think they ask clients to bring common calibers and leave any extra rounds? It ain't because they're tightwads...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I had a thread going about a year ago, asking what kind of factory ammo one could usualy get in Africa. The answers I got, showed that it was a VERY limited assortement most places on the dark continent. Even .404 Jeffery or .416 Rigby is not at all common. And I would have to conclude that .500 Jeffery is just as rare a bird in the shelves there as in the Panhandle.
Most PH's are poor and not very interested in guns. They mostly want cheap&easy, and I think one would be hard stresses to find many who opts for anynthing else than what is most common and available.
For the client who goes to Africa and bring his own ammo, the options are just unlimited.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote