THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    2 .375’s, which to convert to WBY?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 .375’s, which to convert to WBY? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Toying with idea to convert one of my .375’s to .375 WBY. One is a 24” Winchester one a 20” Winchester. Obviously more velocity from the 24” but will there be an increase in the 20”? My 20” shot factory 300 A frames at 2400 and been to Alaska a couple times. Or just make my extra .300 RUM into a .375 RUM? Or just leave it all alone and go hunt with them

I have a .416 RM so really it would be about trajectory

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a boring answer, but just go hunt with them and have fun.

The Wby 375 is a fine round, but only has an 11% usable volume advantage over the H&H. Using the old wildcatting rule of thumb that it takes 4% more volume to gain 1% more velocity at the same pressure, that gives the Wby an about 70fps advantage, too little to care about IMO. Everything else comes from simply increasing the pressure, and you don't need a special chamber or brass to do that. If H&H brass fireformed in 375 Weatherby can take an extra 10K psi in a rechambered H&H barrel they can survive it in their original form too.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't bother - there's little point between the two, and no point in changing one to the other ... it's a .375, hunt with it, it'll do the job. if you have the itch, sell one, buy a ruger

if you held a gun to my head, do the 24" one, you'll have better difference

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
This is a boring answer, but just go hunt with them and have fun.

The Wby 375 is a fine round, but only has an 11% usable volume advantage over the H&H. Using the old wildcatting rule of thumb that it takes 4% more volume to gain 1% more velocity at the same pressure, that gives the Wby an about 70fps advantage, too little to care about IMO. Everything else comes from simply increasing the pressure, and you don't need a special chamber or brass to do that. If H&H brass fireformed in 375 Weatherby can take an extra 10K psi in a rechambered H&H barrel they can survive it in their original form too.

Bob

I can't talk to the Math but I've chrono'd Weatherby factory loads with 300g Partitions through my Rem XCR II with a 24" barrel. They are right around 2750 fps. That's as significant an improvement as the 300 Win Mag over the 30-06. It allows you to leave that 300 Mag or 338 Mag at home since it will reach out and touch something at past 400 yards.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep what you got.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re-chamber the 24 inch one or re-barrel the 20 incher with a lighter weight tube. I'm not into short barrels and with the Weatherby I sure wouldn't want to give up velocity.

Or just build a 375 RUM.

FWIW, my 375 Weatherby tops out a 300 grain TSX at 2760ish. My RUM easily pushes the same bullet at 2800fps. If that matters...

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a healthy dose of RL-17, my 375 Bee pushes a 300 NAB out of a 24" barrel at 2779 fps.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sell them both and buy a 416.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a healthy dose of RL-17, my 375 Bee pushes a 300 NAB out of a 24" barrel at 2779 fps.

[/quote]They are right around 2750 fps. That's as significant an improvement[/quote]

My point was just that, loaded to the same high pressure, even the old H&H will get over 2700fps. As a reference Quickload shows a pressure of 65.1 psi to get 2770 with RL17 in a 24" barrel. The H&H shows 2706 with RL17 at the same pressure with the same 300 NAB. The 375W is a great round, but when it comes to ballistics there is no free lunch. (And for reference, my all around rifle for 20+ years is a light short H&H that "only" does 2450fps with 300NPs)

EDIT: What Todd said! tu2

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you read my post ? I have a .416 RM so that not an issue. Killed many Buffalo with it but I like to mess around but maybe I’ll keep these as is
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could look at a 375 RUM. Same bolt face. Mag may need work, depends on the rifle. With a Remington I think all you would need is an RUM mag box. Significant power increase over the H&H.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Did you read my post ? I have a .416 RM so that not an issue. Killed many Buffalo with it but I like to mess around but maybe I’ll keep these as is
quote:

Sure I read your post. But ...

1) You are looking to get more power from one of your 375's. If you need more power, a 416 makes sense since there's nothing a 375 can do that a 416 can't do better, albeit with a bit more recoil.

2) You have two 375's in the same chambering so I figured you have no problem with having multiple rifles in the same caliber. Adding another 416 should be no problem. Maybe a Rigby this time if you want to have 2 rifles in the same caliber, but different chamberings. With the Rigby, you'll have lower pressure than the RM, and have the ability to load it up to WBY specs if you want.

3) My comment was a bit tongue in cheek anyway! Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need a .338 or a 9.3 of sorts!!k You have a gap to fill there! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a .338 lol. I guess I’ll just leave as be unless I am really bored. Got tons of rifle and projects that never seem to get finished anyways I’m sure that’s a common issue…

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

dancing tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one. Good on Buffalo Wink

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
quote:

They are right around 2750 fps. That's as significant an improvement[/quote]

My point was just that, loaded to the same high pressure, even the old H&H will get over 2700fps. As a reference Quickload shows a pressure of 65.1 psi to get 2770 with RL17 in a 24" barrel. The H&H shows 2706 with RL17 at the same pressure with the same 300 NAB. The 375W is a great round, but when it comes to ballistics there is no free lunch. (And for reference, my all around rifle for 20+ years is a light short H&H that "only" does 2450fps with 300NPs)

EDIT: What Todd said! tu2[/QUOTE]

Omnivorous_Bob,

Do you mind sharing the QL of RL-17 for the H&H at 65.1K psi? I've a new .375 H&H with a 22" barrel and have yet to fire it, but have loaded 77 grs of RL-17 behind the 300gr TSX. Then 235 TSXs,250 Sierras and 270 TSX's are all loaded with CFE 223. But I'm curious about that RL-17 load you mentioned using RL-17 for the 300gr NP. My last .375 H&H (Browning) had a 26" barrel and would make ~2700 fps from Hornady's 300gr BT. That was long ago before RL-17. I used RL-15 and IMR 4320, both giving about the same results. I currently use RL-17 in my 9.3 x 62 exclusively, so am quite familiar with it.

Thanks,

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, here's what I got for both the NP and 300 accubond. My favorite load is the 300 NP with 70.0 of RL15.

Bob

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Bob. I greatly appreciate this!

That's impressive from a 24". 1gr less in my 22" might mean a loss of up to 100 fps, but may, on the other hand, be compensated by the longer 300gr TSX. It is seated about 1/8" deeper. I believed RL-17 would be best in a .375 H&H with 300 grainers since it has been near a miraculous performer in my 9.3 x 62 shooting the 286 NP and 320gr Woodleigh PP, giving 150 fps more from the 286gr at less apparent pressure than RL-15. Then, it was tested for me by a friend with QL, as also the 320gr Woodleigh PP was.

Thanks again...

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote