THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    need your opinion on some blanks-pics added

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need your opinion on some blanks-pics added Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is for my open sight 458 lott Vektor project.Which would you choose and why?[URL= ]blanks[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
There is a bit of shine on number 3 making the grain flow a bit hard to see but I think that is the one & If not then number 2 both for Grain flow.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Top and bottom are too plain for my taste. Of the middle two, I prefer 1940. Straight grain through the grip and some figure in the butt.

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Second from the top is my pick.

First one...I don't like the grain in the wrist

Third one...I cant get over that nasty bit by the PG. Would like to see the other side to see if maybe the stock could be shifted over in the blank to avoid the flaw. If so, and I can get a better look at the grain currently covered by glare in the photo, that stick might be my #1 choice.

Fourth one...I don't like the way the grain terminates in the wrist

I am an amateur when it comes to this but the only problem I see with #2 is what looks like a flaw around where the action would be. I can deal with that and my guess is that it's just on the surface.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Top and bottom are too plain for my taste. Of the middle two, I prefer 1940. Straight grain through the grip and some figure in the butt.
I was told that of the bunch,the last one down is the one Holland and Holland and Rigby would've used on the fancy side.I think I prefer 1940 too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway

Where they are dry like that, I would wipe them down with a damp cloth before taking a photo.

You get a much better idea of what the grain is in each.

I agree with what others have said.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
shootaway

Where they are dry like that, I would wipe them down with a damp cloth before taking a photo.

You get a much better idea of what the grain is in each.

I agree with what others have said.

here is another pic[URL= ]blanks[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I like #3 a lot more after seeing that wrist grain. That patch behind the PG looks better from this angle too. I am changing my vote....I want #3!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also like #3 but I would run it by Ralf....your in good hands.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On second thought,I think I like the first one-a really nice piece of english walnut.I am going to go with that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They all look good, I'd just take them to Ralf and ask him to pick the one he wanted to work with.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
None of the above. If I had to pick one, the first one. None suit me. But not my rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
They all look good, I'd just take them to Ralf and ask him to pick the one he wanted to work with.
Ralph sent me the pics.He says they are all nice.The one on the top is the english walnut I bought from Dressel's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1,3 and 4 work for me. #2 is out as the grain flows up in the forend and that could cause upward barrel pressure on drying over time. I would probably pick #3 although #1 is a close second and would be prferable on a heavy caliber.

465H&H.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Le troisième. Sans aucun doute.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Order of preference, 3,2,1,4, from the top that is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On second thought,blank number three might be better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Number three would be my pick.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Number 1 is my pick. I think the Dressels know good wood.I don't think we can tell what is good by looking at a picture of it alone.

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Tough to choose. I think they all would make a nice stock.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The top one is a 3000 dollar blank and the rest are 500 or so.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
The top one is a 3000 dollar blank and the rest are 500 or so.

That blank was way overpriced unless there is something really special that can't be seen in the photo.

Dressels asks way too much IME.

I believe it was JOC who said the wood-hawks are worse than horse traders.

If you believe that #1 is the best blank because Dressels charged you 6x the price of the others and you "think the Dressels know good wood" then you have a lot to learn about buying wood.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know why they thing No 1 is worth $3000
and the others $500.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
I would like to know why they thing No 1 is worth $3000
and the others $500.

You'll see why it costs 3000 when you see the rifle.You'll see why the others cost 500 when you see the junk rifle.Look how it came to life in the picture below,when it was moistened.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, just a thought. Keep looking. I found a blank here on AR that puts these stocks to shame. I think you'll be seeing it in the future when the very talented Mr. Bradshaw finishes the rifle. $525.00 delivered from a regular AR stock maker. I bet Luxus would sell you a better blank for much less than that $3,000 piece.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$3000 from Dressels would put that blank into their "museum quality blanks" category. It sure doesn't look like something from that category to me, in fact it looks very similar to something from the $900 to $1400 range.

Dressels Museum Quality Blanks

Dressels English Stock Blanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
$3000 from Dressels would put that blank into their "museum quality blanks" category. It sure doesn't look like something from that category to me, in fact it looks very similar to something from the $900 to $1400 range.

Dressels Museum Quality Blanks

Dressels English Stock Blanks
2800 to be exact

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]blank[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aliveincc:
Shootaway, just a thought. Keep looking. I found a blank here on AR that puts these stocks to shame. I think you'll be seeing it in the future when the very talented Mr. Bradshaw finishes the rifle. $525.00 delivered from a regular AR stock maker. I bet Luxus would sell you a better blank for much less than that $3,000 piece.
I can easily post one or more rifles with Dressels' stocks that are really stunning and I mean really stunning.I believe some of the best stocks used on rifles for the raffle projects, on the ACGG site are from the same supplier or suppliers as mine.For example the whitetail rifle(Chuck Grace),the Mountain Majestics rifle,the 404 jeffries rifle,etc.. You can visit the Dressel's site and see rifles with their blanks-many beauties there.You might ask,what is a beautifull rifle? My answer is,a rifle that after you see just once,you won't forget.I am afraid that doesn't speak for many rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, Just to be clear, I am not disparaging Dressels. I think they are fine people, I've bought several nice blanks from them and they generally are very good when it comes to grading wood.

That said, your specific blank doesn't seem to fit into the style of blank that they typically charge that sort of money for. Not saying it isn't a nice blank, it just doesn't appear to be of the same aesthetic quality of the others in that price range.

It's a very nice blank, one that I would gladly use on a rifle and one that will most likely yield a beautiful stock. However, if Sharon emailed me a pic of that blank along with her other $2800 blanks, I would have thought that she had attached the wrong photo.

Regardless of what some others have said, I don't think Dressels is overpriced, in fact I have gotten some very nice blanks form them for fairly reasonable sums.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So what you are saying is that Dressel's is alright but not when it comes to my blank.What else is new?? Roll Eyes BTW,CAS II,instead of being nice,I should've told you what I really thought about your rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
...furthermore, I consider my blank to be more conservative over the "museum blanks" and more suited for my project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who pissed in your cheerios? I said it was a nice blank, just surprised me that it came from that price range. Most all of Dressels blanks in that price range have a certain "look". Yours doesn't. I never said it wasn't worth what you paid, only a fool would make that comment without having the blank in hand. I only said that it doesn't fit the "look" of other Dressels blanks in that price range. You asked for opinions on your blanks and I gave it.

quote:
...furthermore, I consider my blank to be more conservative over the "museum blanks" and more suited for my project.

No shit, you mean you just said EXACTLY what I said. Your blank is much more conservative than other Dressels blanks in the same price range? Wonder where you heard that?

Perhaps you missed where I said:

quote:
It's a very nice blank, one that I would gladly use on a rifle and one that will most likely yield a beautiful stock.

quote:

As for my rifles, if you think that your opinion matters to me at all, you are seriously delusional.