Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458WM long range accuracy Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering this caliber for my next rifle instead of another 300WM and would like to know if anyone has tested it at 200yds or further.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It is as accurate as you can hold it but you will have to hold much higher than a 300 mag.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years ago I shot a 1 5/8 " 4 shot group with a factory Interarms Whitworth 458 useing the express sights... It was a 5 shot group but I called 1 flier...My rest was a milk crate with a boat seat cushion on top ...Shot at the 100 yrd range...... I was useing factory 500 or 510 gr softpoint ammo.. I,m very confident The gpoup would have been under 1 " had I been useing a 4 power scope or better....I can,t remember which factory ammo I used.......It was either Winchester ,Remington or Fedral.... They can be VERY accurate...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gumboot458,that goes to show that it just might be the king of african cartridges! What barrel lenght were you shooting with? Winchester, maker of the rifleman's rifle and the guns that work,always makes things right!The project may be going down this week.A real american cartridge!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
There are no reasons under the sun for any big-bore not to group as well as any other hunting cartridge. What opens up the groups, are the shooters lack of controlling the recoil.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
470 AR - 100yard 3 shot

458 AR 10 shots, chrono work... HORRIBLE trigger (jimmy's shooting)

416 AR 100yard 3 shot group (yeah, it really is 3 shots)

I would expect group size to say about the same, if I put a stronger scope on the rifles, in terms of MOA

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
A MOA gun at 100yrds will probably be a MOA gun at 200 yrds with some opening of the groups due to the shape of the DG bullets. Sight it for 200 yrds and it will do just fine. FWIW- my ancient Sharps 45-110 shot a 4 inch group at 500 yrds. No reason they won't perform well. Just work out your sight settings for 50, 100, 200 and 250 yrds. -Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am considering this caliber for my next rifle instead of another 300WM and would like to know if anyone has tested it at 200yds or further.

Fine out to 300 yards! Haven't tried beyond that. Consider a spitzer profile 400 grain bullet for the longer range work, such as the Woodleigh 400 gr PP or the North Fork (www.northforkbullets.com) 400 grain soft.

Regardless of caliber, long range only becomes a problem (other than drop) if the bullet slows down enough to go subsonic.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Fine out to 300 yards! Haven't tried beyond that. Consider a spitzer profile 400 grain bullet for the longer range work, such as the Woodleigh 400 gr PP or the North Fork (www.northforkbullets.com) 400 grain soft.

Regardless of caliber, long range only becomes a problem (other than drop) if the bullet slows down enough to go subsonic.

Of course with those light weight bullets you will have to consider wind drift! jumping

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is an "elephant gun" cartridge, and as such cannot hit anything past 100 yards silly! Wink

Have hit deer with a 458 Winnie out to ~ 300 yards, which is my personal limit (regardless of caliber).

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote