Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 Nitro loads Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was at the range this morning with a friend and his new Nitro .500 double rifle. He was shooting the big Woodleigh bullet and his shots were crossing a 50 yards and shooting high. About 5" high and the right barrel was shooting about 3" to the left and the left barrel about the same to the right. It will probably be going back to have the regulation checked but he would like to test some different handloads first.

Any one out there shoot the .500 Nitro and what powder do you use? Starting loads would be appreciated. thanks.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello DB Bill.
I belive these doubles are sighted in on a shorter distans than 100 yards. I belive the proper distans will be approx. 50-60 yards.
I dont shoot a double myself, but a buddy of mine had the same problem with his 45-70.
You'll find several loads in the A-Sqare reloading manual "Any shoot you want."

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I was at the range this morning with a friend and his new Nitro .500 double rifle. He was shooting the big Woodleigh bullet and his shots were crossing a 50 yards and shooting high. About 5" high and the right barrel was shooting about 3" to the left and the left barrel about the same to the right. It will probably be going back to have the regulation checked but he would like to test some different handloads first.

Any one out there shoot the .500 Nitro and what powder do you use? Starting loads would be appreciated. thanks.

DB Bill, what your friend is experienceing is too much barrel time! The load needs to be faster! Be very careful here, because a double rifle will not tollorate high pressure!

Don't listen to folks who tell you that all double rifles are regulated for 50 yds or less, this is simply not true, but is a common misconception. from muzzle to point of regulation the distance between the right and left shots should be no more that the distance between the barrels if the load is perfect, but perfect loads where a double rifle is concerned is almost imposible. Most are regulated for 100 mtrs. This means that from muzle to 100 mtrs both barrels should shoot very close together, (a 4" group, two shots from each barrel, with the right barrel fireing first always, in a 500 NE is acceptable at 100 mtrs) and not seperate appreciably for twice that distance. That is another common misconception that doubles are not usable for any distance past the regulation point! One thing I might add here is, the rifle should be held in the hands so the rifle is free to recoil naturally, not rested on sand bags. It is OK to rest the your hand on the bag, but not the rifle.

What is happening is the bullets are staying in the barrels too long, and the right barrel is shooting left, and high because the recoil of the rifle is moveing the barrel up, and to the right,but not quick enough and reverse for the other barrel. If the speed is increased, the bullet will exit the barrel sooner in the recoil movement, makeing it shoot lower on the target, and not as much to the left. This process is explained in Graeme Wright's book "SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE" available from HDS. For anyone new to loading for a double, this book is required reading! You see, handloading for a side by side double rifle is a whole different ball game, with it's own rules.

It might help if I knew what make the rifle is, and if it is old or new! Additionally what powders, bullet weight, and is he useing filler in his loads, if so what type?

You might send a private E-mail to Rusty, or Ray for some help, but send them the particulars of your friend's loads. Both Ray,and Rusty are pritty much up on loading for doubles, and know all the rules!

I'm glad you posted this query, because you would be surprised how many well known gun smiths, and savy handloaders there are who simply do not know their butts from a hole in the ground about loading for a double rifle! No matter how long you have loaded for single barrel rifles, you can forget everything you know, and go back to school when it comes to loading for a double!

If you will take the barrel assembly and align the sights on an aiming point at 100 yds,lock it so it can't move, and chamber two empty cases with no primers in the barrels, then look down the sights makeing sure they are on point of aim. Then look through the primer holes of the empty cases in the chambers you will see that the right barrel will be looking at a point to the left of the point of aim, and low. Convercely, the left barrel will be looking right, and low of point of aim. If you think for a moment you will see that the recoil should move the right barrel up and to the right just enough to make the bullet exit the muzzle just as the barrel passes the point of aim, and the same thing for left barrel but reversed. So if the right barrel is hitting too far to the left, and high, it needs to exit sooner, with the extra recoil makeing the right barrel rise up and to the right. The sharper the recoil the more streight back the rifle will recoil, with less muzzle rise before the bullet exits!

I'm sure this is all as clear as mud, but Graeme Wright can explain it far better than I, the that little book is an assentual piece of merchandize.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-27-2001).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go up a grain at a time until the groups come together if the shots are crossing over..I suspect 1 grain will do it, perhaps 2....Get it to about 2100 FPS on the chronograph..

If that doesn't work then go down a grain at a time but this rarely happens...

As to the elevation after you get the shots together, you may have to file them in for your eyesight....

Always remember when shooting a double rifle to shot right, left, right, left...only.

With the 500 N.E. always use IMR4350 and you will substantially reduce recoil....

It's a whole nuther world.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention he was shooting off a typical "benchrest-type" rest with the butt supported by a rabbit-ear sand bag. He was holding the rifle pretty solidly but I believe the fact that it was shooting so high at 50 yards may be due to the fact the rifle was recoiling away from the front-rest. I am trying to fabricate a convenient way to shoot off-hand with some type of support that won't be a problem.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
DB Bill, no double rifle will shoot properly with the rifle touching anything other than the shooter's forehand, shoulder, and cheek! The way I shoot my doubles is, I use two sets of sticks with a heavy rubber stretched between two of the tops, forming a sling. The third leg, is shorter so as not to come into contact with the rubber sling. My hand on the forestock rests on this sling, and holds the rifle in the normal manner. My right elbow is supported by another shorter tripod,with a sand bag on top. Both these tripods are adjusted so as to support my arms in the possition they would be in while shooting off hand. You may stand, or sit as long as the contact points are not compromized. I personally stand, simply because that is the way I'm usually possitioned when I shoot at game. The rifle absolutely "MUST" be allowed to recoil in the normal manner.

DB Bill, I think you are quite correct in your opinion that the the rifle is recoiling away from the rest, and the V bag at the butt is a real group destroyer where doubles are concerened! Considering the cost of a double rifle, I think it is not too much to ask a shooter the go a little out of his way to make his investment work as it was intended, not to mention the fact this rifle may very well save his life.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had several e-mails asking why in the h*ll we're trying to regulate a double at 100 yards...we weren't, read the post as it says clearly "50 yards"

<500 AHR>
posted
Why not regulate at 100 yds. Both of my double rifles are. The 475 No. 2 shoots about 4" two shot groups from both barrels. The 9.3 X 74R does about 3.5".

Anyway, the advise you have received so far is dead on. Good luck and good shooting.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There seems to be a misconception here about the regulateing of a double rifle! YOU don't regulate the rifle, that is done when the rifle is made. All you are doing is finding a handload that will shoot to the factory regulation. MOST double rifles are regulated at 100 MTRS at the factory. It is easier to find the load at 50 mtrs, all that is required is to find a load that is within a reasonable composite group of a RT, LFT, RT, LFT fireing order, starting with fouled but cool barrels. In other words if you are getting a 3" composite group @ 50 yds, and right for elevation, the group will be even tighter at 100 yds. All you are doing with your loads is to determen at what point the "CROSSING" will take place. Idealy, the crossing should take place at 100 mtrs, and if you get a load that does this, anything from muzzel to 200 mtrs will be within proper regulation, with only a little hold over at 200!

The rifle that DB Bill is discussing, is dead on, except the load they have been useing is too light. G. Wright reccomends a load of 108.0, to 110.0 grs of IMR4350, with a570 gr bullet, and fired by a Federal 210 primer, for a speed of 2100 fps, developing 5844 fpe @ muzzle! The load they have been useing will only push that 570 gr bullet @ around 1900 fps. Speeding will shorten the barrel time bringing the right barrel down, and to the right, and the left barrel down, and to the left, mergeing the two barrels, for a composit group! Nothing more is needed!

Todd E, what rifle do you have chambered for 9.3X74R? I have a new Merkel 140E 9.3X74R and it shoots a 3.5" 4 shot group @ 100 as well, and 3.25" @ 50 yds. with S&B factory 286 gr soft points. It will print the first two, a right, left, from cool barrels into 2"@ 100 yds. It is going to make one hell of a woods rifle for North America, not to mention it is legal for DGs in Africa! I have Woodliegh softs, and solids ordered to work my hunting loads. This rifle was regulated at the factory @ 100 mtrs., as most are.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-28-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
You sure don't leave much room for conversation! I don't know what anybody could add to that....other than I prefer a standing bench rest of one kind or another with no rifle contact meaning my hand under the forend and full contact with cheek and butt, no sissy pad here, it'll mess up the works...I built mine, its an H frame, adjustable up and down. It's on plow shear bases..rests my forend on my hand and my right elbow on an extension...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray...that position sounds a llttle kinky to me but thanks for the help guys...we're going to give it a go again this weekend.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Ray, the reason I use the sticks is they are always in my SUV, and I do most of my working up loads for double rifles in the woods. You can't get anything done on a public range. When you open the oak&leather case and expose a double rifle, the question start, and they usually don't stop. I don't mind this when I'm only practiceing, but when working up loads I need to concentrate! You know like most retards, I have a one track mind!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

<500 AHR>
posted
MAC,

I know what regulation is. I was just too lazy to correct everyone so I followed their misuse of terms.

My 9.3 X 74 R is in fact a Davide Pedersoli. I purchased it as a "cheap" woods double and frankly have been surprised by how well it shoots and was made. I like the Merkels as well though and seriously considered buying one as well, but in the end my cheaper half drove the Pedersoli.

The .475 is a Jeffery by the way and spends it days collecting social security.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Tod E, I have one of those D. pedersoli doubles, I ordered mine before they were available to the public! Mine is marked "TRAIL GUNS ARMORY" and was ordered after I saw an article in GUNS&AMMO back in the 80s about the new 45-70 double rifle that was due at any time, and would sell for $900. I called Col. Powasnik,now deceased, in Legue City,Tx, owner of TGA, to see about getting one. I was told they had not been produced yet, except for the prototypes Spangenberger, and himself had used on an African plains game hunt! He also told me they had already found out they were not going to be able to sell these rifles for the $900 tag mentioned in the magazine article. The good Col told me if I could get them a $100 deposit before Sept 1st he would let me have one at the quoted price. It was Aug 24th, but there was a check in the mail, for the $900, in about two hours. My rifle came about 1 1/2 years later, and was serial No. 134. At the range the same day it printed the first group of four at point of aim, and 3" center to center, with Winchester 405 ammo! It did the same with the hot rounds I use in my No1.

This rifle has since been re-chambered to 458 RCBS, and still shoots 3" groups at 100 yds, though it lets me know I fired it! Folks are missing a bargin, even at todays price for the Delux version from Pedersoli!

Your Jeffery, and I are probably from the same graduateing class!

PS:
The comment about regulation was not aimed at anyone in particular, but was to clarify just one more of the things about double rifles that seems to be misconstrued, by most people! No flame intended! It is just that I can be a little technical at times, and that is often mistaken for sarcasm ! Damn computer! you cant see facial expressions, or hear voice inflection.!
------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-29-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is an ".458 RCBS"?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
DB Bill, the 458 RCBS is a wildcat round that was developed back in the early 70s by Fred Hunington, It is a 45 basic case shortened to 2.75" and loaded with head dia of .500", rim dia of .595", neck dia of .483", body angle (deg's/side) .181, Case capacity of 100.13 grs of water, loaded length 3.60, rim thickness .065", primer LR. The loaded cartridge standing side by side with a 375 H&H, they are the same length! In a Ruger No1 it can safely be loaded some hotter, but I load for my double rifle, and shoot the same load in my No1.

The load Hunington settled on was 65.0 grs of IMR4064, 500 gr rn bullet @ 1875 fps.

I use this powder charge, but substitute a 400 gr bullet for 2050 fps, or a 480 gr Woodliegh @ 1930 fps in my rifles!

This cartridge is shown on page 635 of John Donnelly's "HANDLOADER'S MANUAL OF CARTRIDGE CONVERSIONS", and in a back issue of Handloader magazine # 56 pg 26

This cartridge is an easy re-chamber from 45-70 in a Ruger No1, or the Pedersoli double rifle. It is way too long for any of the lever actions. It is a very good cartridge, and is loadable with backed out 45-70 dies. HDS will make dies for this round, but are special order, with about an 18 month wait! I have been loading it with 45-70 dies for about 10 years. No trouble!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-30-2001).]

<500 AHR>
posted
Mac,

I truly considered getting the 45-70 version of the D. Pedersoli rifle and rechambering to a Sharps, but talked myself out of it somehow.

Who did the rechamber job? Was it as straight forward and simple as it sounds? Please tell me about it.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd E:
Mac,
Who did the rechamber job? Was it as straight forward and simple as it sounds? Please tell me about it.

Todd E

Todd, the rechamber job was done by:

Williamson precision gunsmithing
117 Pipeline Rd
Hurst,Texas
Phone (817)285-0064

Mr Williamson did my double rifle! He made the reamer out of a 458 Win Mag reamer, and I'm sure he still has it.

The re-chambering of a No1 is easy, a simple streight forward re-chambering job. The double, however is a little more involved, being a little harder to set up in the lathe, which equals a little more cost, but not out of line considering the expertise, and machine time involved. The reamer has to be turned instead of the barrel, requireing a very slow operation. He did mine for $250, but I'm an old time customer! He may do one for you at the same rate since he already has the reamer. Give him a call, or I will give him a call if you want, it is a local call for me!

This conversion on a Ruger No1 is a real nice, and economical way to get a very nice heavy rifle that handles like a carbine, with it's 22" barrel, one thing other than the re-chambering you need is a very good reciol pad! NECG also makes some nice AFRICAN style sight replacements for the No1 getting as close to a classic Farquartsen as you can get without $10,000 to spend, for a rough origenal! Actually, this is a far BETTER rifle than the old classic, anyway!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-30-2001).]

<Terry P>
posted
Mac,
Wow!! That is alot of info on loads for the double rifle. I have a Merkel 470 which is crossing just a little at 50 yards. You have rekindled my interest in shooting this thing. You mentioned "Shooting the British Double Rifle" available from HDS. Who is HDS? I would very much like to have this book.
Thanks,
Terry

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Terry, HDS is "HUNTINGTON DIE SPECIALITIES" www.huntingtons.com
------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 09-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 09-01-2001).]

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Terry, you say your 470 is crossing just a little at 50 yds. Are you shooting factory ammo, or handloads? What does it doo at 100 yds? To the last question I think I can predict the answer, it crosses more right?

What needs to happen with your rifle is the load needs to speed up slightly. the bullets are getting too much barrel time!
If your useing handloads please tell me the recipe, powder, primer, case brand, and bullet, and how far the rifle is crossing at 50 yds., and maybe I can help put it on a dime.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacD37:
MacD37,
I don't own a double but really enjoyed reading your posts on the is subject. Thanks for sharing a good knowledge of the inner workings of the double rifle. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We went out and shot the .500 NE both with some new factory loads plus some handloads plus we also supported the rifle differently when shooting. the later solved the "shooting high" problem as it now shoots approx. 1" high at 50 yards. On the advice of a well-known maker of double rifles we decreased the powder charge slightly and while the rifle still crosses at 50 yards it was much reduced. We fired some new factory ammo and that was as bad as the original reloads.....groups were 8" to 10" apart at 50 yards and were "crossed"...right barrel to the left and vice-versa. I think the rifle is going back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pardon me for saying so, but this sounds linke a pain in the butt!!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
Sounds to me like you got hold of a salesman and when he said decrease the velocity he was probably wrong... Increase the velocity and the groups will come together, if the gun is cross firing. rarely the opposite.

My suggestion would be to send the gun to David Yale in Yellow Jacket Colorado and let him re-regulate the gun..He is the best I have seen at that very difficult task.....It would cost a little more but if you can afford a double you surely can afford a first class job of regulating....L&L Interprises out of Nevada is also very good.

Want to know how well a double is capable of shooting?? then shoot a group with the right barrel, another with the left barrel...the gun will shoot only as good as the worst barrel shoots......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Each of the barrels groups better than I would have expected but they are far apart.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Your half way there....if both barrels are accurate, shoot for a load that will equal the worst barrel...group should come together with a certain load without re-regulating...

If they are cross firing an inch at 50 yds then a grain up should fix it or a maybe two grains...don't worry about up and down, that don't count, you can fix that with a 3 corner file later...

It's really not difficult once you get things sorted out in your mind and have done it a time or two...

Always remember you can regulate or sight in a flinch, also..

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Bill- I have a 470 NE from Butch Searcy and had a similar issue. Butch was great and gave me alot of advice on how to properly shoot and regulate the gun. You are doing all the right things. I solved the problem by adjusting my loads such that the barrel time was optimized. At least in the 470 and I'll bet in the 500, RL-15 is king. I also used Woodleigh bullets. I also add a small amount of Polyester filler on top of the powder charge to fill the case fully. Seating the bullet on this and assuring compression results in far more uniform pressures and much more consistent velocities. In these big rounds a filler is PERFECTLY safe as long as there is no air space allowed between the bullet and the powder. Using this approach I was able to slowly ( 1 gr increase at a time) work up a load that regulated virtually perfectly at 50 yrds and does not cross at 100 yrds.Have Fun-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe all Searcy rifles are regulated with Federal Factory loads and will also print center with RL-15 and 215 Fed. mag primers, and woodleigh bullets with a proper powder charge.....the ones I have worked with for clients did...I have also had good luck with H4350 in the 500's....

If Fed would cut loose with some of thoes 216 primers, it would save a lot of guess work...but they won't.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<bongo500>
posted
Ray,

If you can convince Fed to sell 216 primmers you can put me on the list for 5000.

Now let me ask you a question about the charges of IMR 4350 you are using for the 500NE. You mentioned 4350 many times, but never did mention the weight.
Have you tried it on the 577NE?
Thanks in advance.

<500 AHR>
posted
Ray,

Do tell us what the IMR 4350 or H4350 charges you have used in the 500 NE with success. I am going to guess with IMR4350 that the load is around 115 grains.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
usually between 106 and 108 grs of 4350....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<500 AHR>
posted
Thanks Ray. Actually, my first guess was 105 grains, but I second guessed myself.

Todd E

<Butch Searcy>
posted
I load the 3" with 110 grs IMR 4831,and the 3 1/4" with 115 grs. of IMR 4831. Remember with RL-15 you must use an over powder wad, if you don't you will experience hang fires(not good). Instead of the polyester fiber fill, I've gone to the 3/8" very dense styrofoam. I've used this for several years with excelent results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another great, very informative thread!! Is there a site to look at those Pedersoli Rifles?

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Mike,

You can look them over at cabelas.com. They sell them for $2299.00. I have one in 9.3X74R and it is a nice (very nice) double for the money. You can also check them out at Davide-Pedersoli.com

Todd E

[This message has been edited by Todd E (edited 09-10-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd :-)

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bongo 500,
I had a nice 577 around here for awhile and played with it at the range with charges of RL-15, Imr-4831 and IMR4350...All shot well with that old gun, surprisingly enouge as long as I kept it at 2100FPS with Woodleighs...

I could tell a difinate difference in recoil between the powders....IMR-4350 kicked considerably less, but still enough to keep your attention...I don't recall the loads but I got them out of Shooting the British Double Rifle by Graeme Wright, 1st Addition.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<bongo500>
posted
Thank you Ray.

I will load some 500NE with 4350 tomorrow and see how it works in my gun. I am using 112 grains of Norma 204, Woodl FMJ 570, RP91/2 and getting 2100fps. It is a pretty close load to yours.
I used Rel 15+ RP91/2 for loading the 577NE but had problems with hangfires. Than I was told to use the primmers from delaborated
470NE Fed ammo. I did it(it is the expensive way to obtain primmers) and the hangfires stoped. The secret seems to be the 216 primmers.
Unfortunately I could never find another source for them.
So I will try 4350 and see what happens.