Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

510 nitro express Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
I was looking through Cartiges of the world book and came across the 510 nitro express round and was wanting some feed back. I have a Ruger #1 in 458 sitting around and was wondering if this could be converted into the 510 N.E.very easy. Has anyone loaded this round? Who has reamers? Who would be a good smith for the barrel work. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

I am not familiar with the 510 Nitro. There was a 500 Nitro 3" and 3 1/4", (.510"). The longer case simply reduced pressure and yielded slightly less velocity. My preference is the 3" version. This cartridge was listed with a 570 grain projectile at 2150 fps. Velocities were taken from 28" barrels.

The Ruger #1 is a prime candidate for this classic round. Two firms doing this conversion that I am familiar with is Bowen Classic Arms at www.bowenclassicarms.com/ and SSK Industries at www.sskindustries.com/

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by Holmes (edited 08-16-2001).]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
No the book calls it a 510 nitro express " the brain child of Bob Schneidmiller and custom gun maker D'arcy Echols." The artical talks about it being a 50-140 case with mordern bullets and smokless power.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Mm-mmm. Right at the bottom of page 197 and it recommends that the Ruger #1 would "be an excellent choice." Since there are quite a few .577 NE #1's floating about and the diameter of that is larger, I can't imagine that there would be any particular problem with the Ruger. However, since he essentially invented the round, I'd give D'Arcy a call. Which ever smith you decided on could rent the reamer from him.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an easy conversion, but not so. The recoil studs in the No. 1 Rib are drilled so deep that the 458's barrel cannot be simply rebored to .510. You will have to have a new barrel. A friend of mine had one redone to 500 NE and loves it, but it did have to have a new barrel. Supposedly, if you have an older No. 1 in 458 they did not have the recoil stud holes drilled quite so deeply, but that is something your 'smith will have to determine.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
And what about this http://www.billsaccuracy.com/nitro.htm . I know, it is only .450x31/4, but . . .

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paleohunter:
No the book calls it a 510 nitro express " the brain child of Bob Schneidmiller and custom gun maker D'arcy Echols." The artical talks about it being a 50-140 case with mordern bullets and smokless power.

Hmmm....seems I spend too much time with the old classics! The 510 NE is not one I have heard of until now. Sounds similar to J.D. Jones 50 x 3 1/4 x 750.

What velocity does this cartridge attain?

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote