THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    My 425Westley Richards finally here..

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 425Westley Richards finally here.. Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
My Westley Richards has finally made it to Aus.
This rifle balances and points like a beauty. Smiler
Now just have to wait for Customs to clear it.

More photos to come.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Great for You.. I hope you enjoy this for years!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a good looking rifle. Looks like it means bussiness

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Very, very cute. Congratulations.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
You can "feel" the balance just by looking at it. Damn, those people knew how to make a rifle! Congratulations!

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations!

If you don't like her, give me a call! Wink

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Nice classic lines
Is this a .425 WR by Westley Richards? Looks like it to me.

Congratulations on a great rifle.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, Adam. Congrats... taking her to Zim soon for a little R&R?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handles and points beautifully, how could that be it does not coincide with all that the custom gun builders have been telling us for 50 years, the gun scrib magazine experts refute your statement...Your rifle is all wrong demensionally, fool!! stir

Welcome to an old club that agrees with your assesment..Low combs don't hurt your shooting with a scope, they allow you to shoot iron sights, and that poorly designed stock sucks up recoil like a sponge contrary to popular belief.

The American shooter has been the result of the biggest con job in history, those old Germans and Englishmen knew how to build a gun...

Not saying our custom rifles are not good and they do quite well with scopes, but I am aware that their arrogance is beyond imagination...They leave too much wood on them for imagined reasons, they rave on about 3 point contact between cheek shoulder and eye when all one has to do is put the cross hair on a target and squeeze the trigger. I could write a book on this subject...but congratulations, thats a really fine rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

This years Safari is a house hunt, but you never know what will come up. Roll Eyes
This original WR has engraving and I more than likely will not have mounts added.
Next question is whether to take this one or the 450/400 on the next Ele hunt?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does your rifle have the lips in the magazine well which helps align the rounds and facilitate feeding?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Does your rifle have the lips in the magazine well which helps align the rounds and facilitate feeding?

Yes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an ex parks 425WR, which does not have the lips; a cheaper version, I believe. I do not know if there are any feeding problems as I did not have any 425 ammo with me. Circumstances allowing, I am returning to Zim later this year and plan to shoot a few rounds. I, too, fell in love with the way the rifle pointed and came up to my shoulder with the sights aligned with my eye. WR, in England, says that they can add the lips if required: hope I do not have to spend the money

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks nice.
thumb
The barrelband seems a bit further from the fore-end then normal, I think...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lovely little rifle! Congratulations.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

A great option for pushing through bush country like found in Zim.(Keeps the barrel low and out of the way).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
V nice thumb

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice, ozhunter. Congratulations.

Why does this WR model look differently, with the extended mag?

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle.I like the stock design.I will save a copy of this pic.The barrel band seems a little to far forward.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle.

As I tell my hunting buddys every time a new gun shows up I throw it to my shoulder a few times sight through the opens, peep or the scope ( or jsut look down the barrels if a shot gun). Then just say I could kill things with this.

I have found very few guns that I couldn't fit myself to some are better then others when I throw gun to the shoulder I know with in a couple of times how well it handles. But then Iam average 510 180 lbs most guns are built for near that.

But then some people just set there guns up wrong see through mounts the put the scope up to high ect. Put even then with some work (IE puting the gun up to the shoulder dozens of time one can get use to them.) Not great but doable. Other just flow into place. Like my 99 Savage.

I had a browning citroi 20 ga up land special 5lbs 4oz carried like a dream but I just couldn't get the thing to shoulder properly as much as I tried about 50 % of the time it would be pointing in the wrong place. I could shoot clays with it one handed fairly well 8 out of 10 but then it was only good for one shot as the triggers wouldn't set for the 2nd one.

So the meaning of this rant is most of the time if a rifle or shot gun if fairly near in size and set up most well trained shooters can make them work.

By the way that is a nice looking rifle.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
More picures..
Cool

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like it too thumb

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

A great option for pushing through bush country like found in Zim.(Keeps the barrel low and out of the way).
[/URL]

that looks nearly exactly like parts of texas, down to the beagle

i place my barrel bands a little low, as well, as i am very tall and brush aint!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

that looks nearly exactly like parts of texas, down to the beagle
[/QUOTE]

Although Texas might have quite a few introduced game animals I doubt there are many Elephant in Mopani forests. Wink
Oh, and that beagle is Mortan the fearless Jack Russel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

This years Safari is a house hunt, but you never know what will come up. Roll Eyes
This original WR has engraving and I more than likely will not have mounts added.
Next question is whether to take this one or the 450/400 on the next Ele hunt?

To allay any wonderment.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. I especially like the placement of the barrel band. Will keep the muzzle away from the overhead brush you are bound to encounter. If it shoots as good as it looks it surely is a winner.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

The American shooter has been the result of the biggest con job in history, those old Germans and Englishmen knew how to build a gun...

Not saying our custom rifles are not good and they do quite well with scopes, but I am aware that their arrogance is beyond imagination...They leave too much wood on them for imagined reasons, they rave on about 3 point contact between cheek shoulder and eye when all one has to do is put the cross hair on a target and squeeze the trigger. I could write a book on this subject...

Well, Taylor was not that impressed all the time. Many gunsmiths never hunted at all, and made guns the way they had been teached. Actually, very few handeled the final gun, as most were specialized stockmakers, barrelmakers, actionconverters etc.

That rear-sight is far to far to the rear for Taylors liking, and I agree totally.
Theese rifles were originally delivered with 28" barrels, which never was very popular.
The forend on english boltrifles are way too small to my liking, and probably a result of their traditions with doublebarreled guns.
It gives a poor grip for offhand shooting.
Modern strightstocked rifles raise the open sights, problem solved.

"rave on about tree-point contact..." OK, let the good old gunsmiths of england and germany tell you about the importance of good cheek contact on a shotgun...

I believe that is the ultimate praise for any rifle, "to handle like a shotgun"?

Oh, and do not get me started on a m98 flag safety on a DGR....

As Jeffe says, opinions vary... Wink

But MAN - I'd love to have that rifle.... Smiler

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Not saying our custom rifles are not good and they do quite well with scopes, but I am aware that their arrogance is beyond imagination...They leave too much wood on them for imagined reasons, they rave on about 3 point contact between cheek shoulder and eye when all one has to do is put the cross hair on a target and squeeze the trigger. I could write a book on this subject...

Well, Taylor was not that impressed all the time. Many gunsmiths never hunted at all, and made guns the way they had been teached. Actually, very few handeled the final gun, as most were specialized stockmakers, barrelmakers, actionconverters etc.

That rear-sight is far to far to the rear for Taylors liking, and I agree totally.
Theese rifles were originally delivered with 28" barrels, which never was very popular.
The forend on english boltrifles are way too small to my liking, and probably a result of their traditions with doublebarreled guns.

"rave on about tree-point contact..." OK, let the good old gunsmiths of england and germany tell you about the importance of good cheek contact on a shotgun...

I believe that is the ultimate praise for any rifle, "to handle like a shotgun"?

But MAN - I'd love to have that rifle.... Smiler

Bent,

What is it about the flag safety you don't like?

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:

But MAN - I'd love to have that rifle.... Smiler[/QUOTE]

Bent,
[/QUOTE]

Just for your information this rifle does not have 28" barrels, the fore end of the stock is plenty big enough for off hand shooting, the rifle points better than most guns I have tried
including shotguns, the flag safty is great providing a scope is not used and the sights acquire perfectly for me.
Again this is my own opinion but I would imagine it would also be the opinion of many people who have actually use a fine English rifle of this style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes nice, ozhunter, the front wood doesen't look as short as on some Rigby's, and certainly long enough esp with out a sling stud in the way.

I also agree with Ray about scopes and stocks.
I think this cheek-weld stuff may have come from some lay down sling target shooters. (Weird people.) Maybe he and I have low cheek bones or something but I used to get kicked stupid with clay target stocks.

But when changing to irons on a M70, I have to jam down on the high stock, and expected to get wacked. . . but for some reason I don't.

Re balance, I used to think it was a bit of a story, until one day I got to sholder two of the exact same rifles except one had a heaver barrel. One was like a fence post the other like a dream. I live and learn.

How do you get to handle your rifle before customs have done with it??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Yes nice, ozhunter, the front wood doesen't look as short as on some Rigby's, and certainly long enough esp with out a sling stud in the way.

How do you get to handle your rifle before customs have done with it??

I had a couple trips to its home before being sent here.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Except for a bit lower comb, it's quite sismilar to the Husqvarnas. And they shoot great.

And, no I'm not insulting your WR. What a nice rifle, eh?

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
yes similar to the old Husqvarnas. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A 9.3x62 Husqvarna with a 4X36 S&B Scope and the Westley Richards 425.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The baby has come home. Congrats.

Some of us poor folk will have to take comfort in only having one of the Husqvarnas.

Too cute.

Picture perfect, eh?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle. I am truly envious. I have a couple of old Mauser receivers and would love to turn one into a .425 Westley Richard. Congratulations.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G:
Beautiful rifle. I especially like the placement of the barrel band. Will keep the muzzle away from the overhead brush you are bound to encounter.
((If it shoots as good as it looks it surely is a winner.))

The thing does shoot great.
Six out of seven shots at 50yds into a mark the size of an egg. Smiler