New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Taylor Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I'm building a 416 Taylor on an M17 action and I have a few questions for Taylor owners.....
I intend using 340 and 400 gr Woodleighs, so my first questions are....

What sort of velocities would I get from a 22" barrel?
what would be a comfortable rifle weight considering using 400 grainers ?

I would hazard a guess that I will have more queries as I go along.

Roger

Posts: 1035 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy on here just bullet one with 22 inch barrel. The gunsmith that did the build loaded the ammo. He reports 2300 fps w 400 grain Woodleigh.

I have asked him the rifles weight. He told me recoil was not a punishment.

He also cerekoted it.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two in the house both with 25 inch barrels.

If doing so now I would do a 416 Ruger.

I get 2450 with 350's not pushing them

Over 2600 with 300s

Haven't shot any 400's.

I found IMR4064 gave me better vel. then RL15 with less powder.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 416 Taylor built on an Interarms MkX action a number of years ago. Not much real need for this caliber here in Georgia, but I really enjoyed shooting it. My favorite load was with cast bullets… RCBS 416-350 RFN. Loaded to 1700 fps, it was pleasant and accurate.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy’s weighs just under 10 pounds scoped.

He also had two mercury recoil reducers put in it

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I built mine I asked for 2 Mercury recoil recyclers in the stock and there is some lead shot epoxied into the forend to balance it out.

I specified 10.5 pounds with a 21.5” barrel and my gunsmith hit it almost on the nose.

Very pleasant to shoot for a big bore.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1057 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 416 Taylor of some years ago weighed 9 Lbs loaded and recoil was about like a 375 H&H..today I recommend a 416 Ruger for a number of reasons. A great caliber but its seen its day I fear..but thats speaking for myself only..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
My choice of the Taylor was for many reasons...nostalgia, always wanted one and mainly for the fact that I have bags of belted cases ( 7mm RM, 300 WIN MAG, ETC.ETC ) from rifles I don't have any more.
Not being rude Ray, but the calibre hasn't changed, only the case.... stir

Roger

Posts: 1035 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Build it. Great classic wildcat. I had a buddy that had one built by his son on a M70 while at Trinidad. Lovely rifle. Shot well and killed well.
I don’t remember his velocity with the 400’s he used but he was happy with it.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
My 416 Taylor is a Custom LAWSON on an FN action with a 25" barrel.
It has 4-slot Magna-porting and weighs 8 pounds 7 ounces.
It has very manageable recoil with 400g bullets.
Recoil is less than a 375 H&H.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .416 Taylor Encore handgun. Have killed a charging lion( 475#) at 25 yd., a Cape buff (40", a roan (28"), a sable (40"). Velocities are around 2100 in my short barrel and performance has been excellant. I used a special made Northern Precision 400 gr. bullet for the lion. The rest were 400 gr. DGXs.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 250 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
I have a .416 Taylor Encore handgun. Have killed a charging lion( 475#) at 25 yd., a Cape buff (40", a roan (28"), a sable (40"). Velocities are around 2100 in my short barrel and performance has been excellant. I used a special made Northern Precision 400 gr. bullet for the lion. The rest were 400 gr. DGXs.

Larry, this is the most modest statement of several grand adventures i think i have ever seen
good hunting
j

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
My 416 Taylor is a Custom LAWSON on an FN action with a 25" barrel.
It has 4-slot Magna-porting and weighs 8 pounds 7 ounces.
It has very manageable recoil with 400g bullets.
Recoil is less than a 375 H&H.

I wonder if that rifle has ever been used on a hunt ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I wonder if that rifle has ever been used on a hunt ?
Hello 458Win,

I have used it hunting here in Wisconsin, but not yet for dangerous game.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doctor Larry, goodness gracious, is there anything you have not hunted with a handgun? Your experience in these matters surely must be unique in all the world. Thanks for mentioning your results with a handgun in the Taylor.
(I had a Taylor built on a VZ24 with PacNor barrel in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock that I sold to someone here on this forum perhaps 15 years ago. Wonder if it still hunts.)

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your explanation of the need for a 416 Taylor is impossible to argue with, get after it and enjoy and yes its as good today as it was back in its day or any other 40 caliber ballistically.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote