THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    375 H&H VS. 375 H&H Magnum

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H VS. 375 H&H Magnum Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I was looking at reamer rentals - www.reamerrentals.com - and they have listings for a 375 H&H and a 375 H&H Magnum.

Needless to say I am confused about this, can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
If it isn't just a typo on their list, I would guess that they are referring to the .375 H&H Flanged, which is simple a rimmed version of the standard "ouch&ouch" that was designed for use in double rifles.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
No it didn't look like a typo, that is why I was wondering..

Gee, I suppose I could send them an email, boy am I smart tonite!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be a 400/375 H&H. It is also a belted case.

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Sooner>
posted
One of them is most likely the "improved" version.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask them and let us know.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<William E. Tibbe>
posted
Mark:

The nomenclature .375 H&H is a non description. It doesn't mean anything. There is no cartridge of that decription that is recognized.

However, there is a .375 H&H improved which is the .375 H&H magnum case with the shoulder moved forward. The .375 H&H magnum case capacity is 96.37 water grains while the .375 H&H improved holds 104.77.

There are numerous other .375's however each has it's own nomenclature. The Flanged would carry an ( R ) suffix meaning rim or flange.

The .375 Belted rimless magnum is one and that same .375 H&H magnum. There were only a pair of .375 H&H's brought out by Holland & Holland, one rimless with belt and the other with rim or flange but without a belt.

Kendall

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very imformative however I believe the use of the decimal point before the calibre name similarly renders it a non existant designation.
A 338 win mag for example is a .338 calibre but not a .338 win mag.
Very common mistake though

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<William E. Tibbe>
posted
True, not true and maybe!

There is surely nothing more inconsistent, silly, incongrous, misleading and dubious than the various designations that are supposed to indicate, to the gun enthusiast, a guns caliber and cartridge type.

Kendall

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shikaree:
It may be a 400/375 H&H. It is also a belted case.

Perhaps Shikaree is right. H&H patented the Belted Magnum cartridge in 1906, and that was evidently the 400/375 H&H. The .375 H&H Mag came in 1912. The 400/375 H&H had standard case length. That would be an interesting project: remaking the first H&H model from 1906...

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I got an email back from them, and yes it is the same cartridge, just two listings for it.