New
Find
Notify
Tools

p14 enfield ? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I picked up a p14 enfield Saturday cheap. Were they also made by three different makers. The p17s ived owned both said remington on the ring. this doesnt. It was a drill rifle so the barrel is welded. Dont know if ill ever build anything with it but the price was right. I do see and E on some of the pieces like barrel rings but Im sure the rifle is a mix and match.
dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P14's were just the early run in 303 british IIRC.
When we got into the war we changed them a bit to chamber the 30-06 and changed the model designation to reflect that. All three companies made P14's and P17's. Enfield is considered the least desirable for building on, some quality issues early on. Winchester is the second choice, primarily because of the "duck pond" in the rear of the receiver . Remington is the preferred flavor, and an M30/34/35 is even more desirable, IMHO. The P14 bolt is the one to have, simply because the bolt head is larger in diameter.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Thanks looks like its an eddystone says ERA on the ring. My 600ok is on a remington. This one was cheap so it will be good for something. Ill see what barrel i get a deal on.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything wrong with the Eddystone rifles over 250,000 serial number as a builder. Just have the receiver magnafluxed to check for cracks and go happy!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey Dean
sounds like a drill rifle all right... a "dewat" whoever "wat" was.

anyway, iirc, there is a welding rod (or something) burned through the barrel shank, right?

I've seen several rifles built of those... the ones with the burnhole through the receiver, never.

got the red white red paint on it?

if you look at the bottom cuts, it should look nearly unfinished, and very sharp, as it would never have seen a round, as it wouldn't chamber

RELIEVE THE BARREL before you attempt removale, and it should be good to go...

have it tested as you like

jeffe

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
500 AR?

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Jeffe
Yep burned right through the barrel. Has DP engraved in all the metal parts. It was painted red on the receiver.
How much and where can you get a low $ threaded and chambered 500AR barrel. Us yankee hicks are Frugal also! Big Grin
Could be my next project almost done converting some cap and ball colt clones for my youngest boys cowboy action guns. Then a bit more to go on a 303 british on a 1891 mauser for his hunting rifle. Then its time to get back into the big stuff.
dean

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Aww, I am certain we can work something out Dean...

bet it won't kick near as bad as your 600 OK

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Jeffe
I only shoot 1050 grain casts at 1850fps out of the 600ok so far and she is a lady with them.(very pleasent to shoot) The 458 winmag bites about the same or more. I am certain at this point that load will do the job for me!
I will watch your 500ar close I was thinking on something 50cal. But I do have a set of 416rigby dies in the case. Well ill get the action set then look for a barrel.
Dean