THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    This may be of interest to you big bore shooters

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This may be of interest to you big bore shooters Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
"Elephant" gun and gel

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
That was excellent. Thanks!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slow MO cameras do show some very interesting effects

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an AHR rifle to me. Anyone know?

Love the way the block sucked the muzzle flash into it as the temporary wound channel contracted again.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fascinating! Have to admire the gentleman who served as the recoil guinea pig.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The trex is an AA coilchunk original -
KentuckyBallistics has 375. 458 lott, a 470 NE, 500Ne, 577 trex, 600ne, a 700 NE, and single shot 4 bore

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like an AHR rifle to me. Anyone know?

Yeah, it's one of ours. GMA action and 20" barrel.

Posts: 1220 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yikes that floorplate!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yikes that floorplate!

Yeah, like the guy in the video said, it's a design flaw. Inside-the-bow flooplate releases do not belong on big bores, but that's what comes on GMA's. I've been trying to get Scott to send me the bottom metal so I can lock the release down. The button type releases like on CZ's and Winchesters are the best type of release for any caliber really.

Posts: 1220 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Fascinating footage! Thanks for posting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
quote:
Yikes that floorplate!

Yeah, like the guy in the video said, it's a design flaw. Inside-the-bow flooplate releases do not belong on big bores, but that's what comes on GMA's. I've been trying to get Scott to send me the bottom metal so I can lock the release down. The button type releases like on CZ's and Winchesters are the best type of release for any caliber really.

Do a frame by frame view of the slow mo and the magazine floorplate opens with the guys finger nowhere near the button in the bow. His finger stays up high in the trigger bow not low where it would need to be to hit the mag release button. The way to check this would be to put some red paint on the back of the guys finger and see if it transfers to the mag release button.

Yes a design flaw, too weak a spring for the mag release. That's what it looks like to me anyway?

PS: had the guys finger hit the mag release button hard enough to release the mag floor plate I'm sure he would have been howling some with a sore or broken finger, takes a lot of pressure with the back of your finger to operate that button.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
4bore vs 800 lb ballistics gel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA9bOldHoeY

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yup. Not finger related. The flex in the system springs it open.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am by no means an expert of any kind but I like to learn from those who are.

Gun builder D’Arcy Echols has designed his own bottom metal for the rifles he builds. One of the critical aspects in building a reliable big bore rifle is a floor plate that does not open under heavy recoil. Hence he figured out how to engineer the mating surfaces of the floor plate release latch so that they are not affected by the forces of recoil. When done correctly there is actually no need for any spring tension at all to keep the floor plate from opening.

Shown here in a short video clip.

https://youtu.be/FGKLGZ0Z2Zs

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, That is informative and fun . Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That gold 500... Looks like a wealthy pimp decided to go on safari & have a double made for the purpose... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess...

Some very cool slow-mo footage.

We often shoot gallon jugs of water when practicing with big bores. The violent explosions are fun, and we often find water quite far from the impact site. Seeing it in super slow-mo is neat & well worth the watch.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klein:
I am by no means an expert of any kind but I like to learn from those who are.

Gun builder D’Arcy Echols has designed his own bottom metal for the rifles he builds. One of the critical aspects in building a reliable big bore rifle is a floor plate that does not open under heavy recoil. Hence he figured out how to engineer the mating surfaces of the floor plate release latch so that they are not affected by the forces of recoil. When done correctly there is actually no need for any spring tension at all to keep the floor plate from opening.

Shown here in a short video clip.

https://youtu.be/FGKLGZ0Z2Zs

Interesing and well done...but...IF recoil forces drive the finger into the latch, the result is that the magazine contents still fall out.

Here's a true story: Client was wandering about in buff teritory, "just looking" Brush exploded and he's about to be flattened, he got off one shot from the hip (See where that puts your trigger finger!!!) Yes....magazine vomited!...even with one hell of a strong spring

Lucky Guy!

I really believe the latch thumb portion could just be eliminated and rely on some pointy tool to open the floor plate for cleaning, etc.

OR..with .a little thuoght one could time a reduced exposure to be final opening with the case rim....1909 Argentine release is a good example of noodling it out

True sopry" Cient was :nlyu looking

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My Oberndorf Sporter Mauser 404 arrived from Rhodesia back in '77 with the magazine floor plate epoxy glued shut. The mag release button in the trigger bow had a good strong spring and after cutting open the glued floor plate and removing the glue the plate has never opened on me in use. The issue of mag floor plates opening when on safari in Africa was written about back in the day and some did glue or fix floor plates to ensure they did not open, either due to a mechanical problem or a user problem.
I did read somewhere that a famous American film star accidentally opened his rifle floor plate dumping all his cartridges when facing a charge. Another worked the bolt back and forward without firing a shot, again dumping all his rounds, while in a tricky situation.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% that for big kickers the Winchester Model 70 and CZ 550 floorplate release latches cannot be rivaled, much less beaten. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote