THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Ruger Hawkeye African/Alaskan???

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Hawkeye African/Alaskan??? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
Do these two models of the Ruger Rifles still offer the scope rings w/ the rifle as std. equipment?? Or for that matter, does this model regardless of caliber offer the scope rings?? Missed it on their site if they do.
Thanks

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a ruger 77 that hasn't...

RIP?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Driver yes they do come with the ruger rings. But usualy the medium hight is standard . I prefer the low and i also prefer quick release . There are a few companies like warne for one thet sell quick release ruger rings .

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
I'm here now. Wink

Driver, that is right, the medium rings that come with the Hawkeye African are finised to match the rifle.

I tried the new ammo, for feeding, in the new rifle, .375 Ruger African.

The cartridges I got measure 0.530" in base and rim diameter. Very tight tolerance for a .532" max brass spec. thumb

This new and unfired cartridge has a shoulder diameter of 0.513". The brass is about 2.574" long as factory crimped.

300 grain SP COL is about 3.318"

270 grain SP is about 3.253".

Now the bad news: Eeker

This African is a very rough feeder.
The 270 grain spitzer of shorter COL feeds with brass shaving, but no jamming.

The blunt 300 grainer of longer COL jams on slow feeding from the left side of the box. If you slam them home fast they will go but big flakes of brass are left lying around the bottom of the barrel breech entrance which is knife-edge sharp.

I think that pulling the barrel to bevel and polish the breech of the chamber entrance is badly needed, as well as polishing the feed ramp and rails.

The basic geometry is adequate. It just needs smoothing.

The Ruger African is a project gun.

We'll see how it shoots and chronographs soon.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

Opinion Time: how does the rugger come fit and finish and price tag compared to the CZ? I think we can assume that CZ will have it out in less than six months.

Fact Time: what do the two factory loads actually chronograph out of your rifle?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Loaded question. Wink
Comparing the most recent one dozen each of CZ and Ruger rifles that I have owned I have had only one disappointment with each make.

CZ .505 Gibbs: won't feed FN solids from left side of box, but feeds roundnoses (admittedly a CZ-USA product, not a Czech-made CZ)

Ruger .375 Ruger: barely feeds roundnoses from right side and worse on the left side of box (made entirely in USA)

Wood to metal fit on the Hawkeye is better than the CZ USA rifles with the floorplates recessed into the bottom of the stock.

Metal finish regarding feeding surfaces in the Hawkeye is about the worst I have seen of any CZ or Ruger.

Price for a Hawkeye African is $805 at www.whittakerguns.com and yes there is at least one still in stock there.

Price for the CZ 550's in .375 to .505 calibers range from about $750 to $2000 at the same place.

I have had excellent accuracy results with all of my Rugers and CZ's so far. No real horror stories. Only one Ruger ultralight 270 Win. that had a pencil-thin barrel and shot hat-sized groups, but that was so silly a rifle that it doesn't count.

It's a wash, a draw. They are all project guns.

Why do you ask? Wink

BTW, the Hornady ammo for the .375 Ruger was $45.99 per box for 270-grain soft and $47.99 for the 300-grain softs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know me RIP...I personally hold to be true that it was NOT!!! NOT!!! curiousity that killed the cat, most likely an overdose of mice.
As I had said, I can see CZ offering their 550 Medium in 375 Ruger by June, for sure by time we get back from the Quigley Shoot in Montana Father's Day weekend. Order up for about $650-$750 maybe...? Maybe a tang safety rugger in 7mm or 300wm or 338wm as a donor... I got an FN mauser that is currently a 375 AI, but it would sure look good as a 30 Holland's Super instead. With a 9,3x62 and a 416 Rigby I need one like a hole in my head, but YOU of all people should know there's only one way to scratch that itch!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And now we know for sure that a .375 Ruger reamer would clean up that .375/.338 WinMag done on an FN Mauser, and make for a real improvement over the .375/.338WM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunblast.com has a review by the Quinns of this rifle and from the pictures...apparently a pretty accurate piece.
Blessings.

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess in the year 2007...what can you really expect for $800.00? I wonder if the feeding issue is an individual rifle problem or "just the way they did it"...I had a bit of interest in the Ruger but may wait some more time to see how this will play out. On the other hand the last CZ I had in .308 fed smoothly but I did not like the high steel rings and drop at comb supplied with the FS version. It fed and shot very well indeed silly of me to let it go.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote