New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New Favorite Toy Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Courtesy of Tip Burns in Canyon Lake, Texas, here is my new .416 Taylor. I am one proud parent. Argentine 1909 Mauser action, Adams & Bennett barrel, Timney trigger, NECG sights, Hogue stock, Warne bases and rings, etc. It all came together perfectly.

This is the second rifle I have had Tip do for me and I cannot recommend his work highly enough. He simply does exceptional work. Burns Custom Rifles, 830-935-3338, tdburns@gvtc.com

Mike

Posts: 21413 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike...It will compliment your Lott and Win Mag nicely.

My 458 AR should be finished any day now...might have to take a closer look at the Taylor next time you are at Carters.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tip just test fired it three times, did not shoot it for accuracy. I should be able to put it through its paces next weekend after I get it.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Super looking rifle...Good luck and good shooting with it...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Are you the one holding up my .375???

Looks like a keeper -- enjoy it!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Very nice !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very very nice.
Now if it was in wood......each to his own congrats on your new baby.

Posts: 205 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
First off your Taylor is a beautiful looking rifle. Just a work of caution on your front sight. Get a hood for it because the fiber optic piece will break very easily. I had it happen to mine just by putting the rifle up against a shelf. The long supported fiber optic piece broke in two and fell out. Are you going on the STC hunt with it.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mike,
a nice rifle Wink

but why not a wood stock ? tom

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I wanted something that I could use and not fret about the stock getting dinged and banged around. With the Hogue stock, if it gets screwed up, I am out $100 and I buy another. On my last trip to Tanzania the stock on my Ruger RSM took a real beating in the truck. While I love the look of wood, I went with function over finish on this one.

Mike

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
470 Mbogo,

I guess the answer to your question is no, since I do not even know what the STC hunt is. Smiler

Mike

Mike

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Mike, got your e-mail, responded, then found this thread. Thought you were going to bring this to the shoot in the morning. The Taylors make for a really nice POP gun. clap

As for the STC hunt, that is jeffe's annual beast slaying/hunt, w/secret "rights". sofa

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike: That action alone is sweet. I think you'll like the Taylor. Tell us what she ways all up with a scope.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16536 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's a realloy nice rifle. Can't wait to hear how it shoots!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Looks like you'll have some fun getting aquainted!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike and Tip-

First, that is a really nice job Tip!!!!! Great work!!!! Mike, I know you are proud to be the "Daddy" of your new addition.

Tip, what bolt handle are you using?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not to steal Tip's thunder but the bolt is the original bolt forged. Here is a description:

http://burnsgunrepair.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=0
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=200107705#200107705

Description is about 2/3 of the way down in the forum post.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Keith,
I will not be able to attend the shoot this morning.

Thanks again for your kind invite!

Rusty

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Keith,
I will not be able to attend the shoot this morning.

Thanks again for your kind invite!

Rusty

Sorry you could not make it.

Mike brought his 9.3 Chapuis and let me play with it again. That thing is fast and fun to shoot. Got to sell off some safe queens and get me a DR.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice rifle! thumb
Tell me, how heavy is it?
Thanks.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
that is a fantastic 1909 argentine!!!!!!... i saw it today.... and nearly drooled all over tip's counter...nice balance.... excellent work!!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the hood, speaking from experience...

I understand the functionality argument, have done working synthetic stocked rifles myself recently, but that metal work is so nice it would be great to make a looker for it too. Costs you a couple rounds resighting if zero shifts significantly.

Very nice, pratical project rifle. Kudos.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Really nice rifle Mike! Tip does great work!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like something a professional would carry in the field. I would allign those bottom metal screw slots if I were you.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Very Nice, Mike!
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38638 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Rifle came today. All I can say is that as good as it looks in the pictures it is much better in person. It really looks outstanding. I am not sure that I have ever handled an action this smooth.

Tip really did an exceptional job.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
What type/brand/model of rear sight is that?

I under stand it is a NECG, but which model??

Looks very nice & functional!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think this is it:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=362091

I know that I ordered it from Midway.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There were several questions about how the rifle shot. Went to the range today and here is the target. Not bad for an Adams & Bennett barrel that cost about $80. Shot on the far right is shooter-error, not the rifle.

Rifle weighs between 9 and 10 pounds with the scope, that is as close as I can get with the bathroom scale.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Good shooting...it looks like you shot a hole in your ruler too. Big Grin

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Didn't even notice that. Very funny. Actually looks to be about the right caliber size too!

Mike