New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 SOCOM?? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I'm getting a RRA lower receiver assembly in exchange. Don't really have the need for a 223 but remembered seeing the 458 SOCOM (I believe) at Jeffe's stock turning last year.

Spent part of the day reading up on it today. Looks like it would be fun to play with.

Any experiences??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
email tiggertate!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38540 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Not to be confused with the 458 AR. Cool

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to be confused with the 458 AR

While the memory might be going the eyes are still good enough to tell the difference between those two. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I built a 458 SOCOM with a barrel blank from Jeffe, actually. I love the dang thing. I'm hunting in west Texas for the next 5 days with it. I'm getting 250 Barnes X going about 2150 fps and 300 X and originals going about 2000 out of a 16" barrel. My rifle was built by me but the chamber was done by Tony Rumore. Contact him. He is awesome, seriously.

http://www.tromix.com/

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
By the way, it's a 10 roud plinker with the standard 30 round AR mags, no alteration. 20 rounders hold 7. My 2--40 rounders hold 14. This rifle is pretty nuts. It weighs in at 7 pounds and renders over twice the horsepower that the 223 mousegun renders. Lee has the dies, starline has the brass. Remington 300 grain HPs for plinking, barnes for hunting. I've had the best luck with H110 powder. Just build it and it will end up one of your 5 favorite rifles, regardless. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions directly.

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lovely thing to make subsonic!!

I have a friend who makes them, with a silencer.......PURE FUN!! Big Grin

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Not to be confused with the 458 AR

While the memory might be going the eyes are still good enough to tell the difference between those two.

I was directing that at Jeffe...I always harass him about the name because if you do a search for it then it always gets mixed in with the SOCOM.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have two, an AR15 and and a bolt gun. The bolt gun goes in next week for a supresor.

Once I got the loads right I would say the AR15 SOCOM is the most enjoyable gun I have. Accuracy is on par with any varmint rifle I've ever owned and the power factor is noticably there, but not abusive.

Definitely like Lay's potato chips; no one can shoot it just once thumb

The 50 Beowulf would be in the same class. But if you want to shoot high volumes of ammo the 458 bullets are easier/cheaper to find.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TT, what bullet do you use for subsonic loads in the 458 SOCOM?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
500, the Hornady 500 gr Accubond or its un-bonded predeccessor is the bullet of choice for subsonic shooting. The rate of twist for the SOCOM is 1-14 so that stabilization is minimal and there is a reasonable probability of tumbling on impact. Tumbling is about as effective as mushrooming at those speeds; maybe better.

At 1000 to 900 fps impact velocity, solids would be a waste of money unless you are talking SWAT stuff, car door penetration, yada yada. The SOCOM was conceived and developed as a heavy duty entry weapon and was adapted to hunting after the fact, FWTW.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,

Curious what bolt action did you build on?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I re-barreled a Remington EtronX electric primer rifle. The goal was to eliminate all action noises by using the electronic system. Seemed to me that if you going to the trouble and expense of a supressor, why not take it one step farther. My AR15 barrel will also be threaded to accept the same supressor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use either 405 jacketed or 515 grain cast with 20 grains of WC820 to give me 1050 fps. This load is too light to cycle the action unless I remove the weights from the buffer, then they work well. I made a form 1 suppressor for it too.

I think I will have an Encore barrel chambered in this to see how it sounds without all the action noise.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote