Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help me decide Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to buy my first true big bore soon but I can't make up my mind on the rifle. I'll more than likely never hunt dangerous game with it. It will really be just a fun gun. I have decided on the 458 Lott in either a CZ 550 or a Ruger #1 stainless. The reason I picked the Lott is because I like the big 45's and I already have molds for casting for 45 caliber rifle due to having a 45/70 that I already load for plus the brass is a lot cheaper than the 416 Rigby which was the other caliber I was thinking of. Both rifles are around the same price and really the only ones that are in the price range that I would like to stay in.

Other than the CZ having the capacity advantage, what are the other pro's and con's of these two rifles ? Is one generally more accurate ? Does one hold it's value better than the other ? Does one need improvments made to it before it's as good as the other ? Thanks for any input or advice you may have for me.

Posts: 122 | Location: Villa Rica, GA. | Registered: 27 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the Ruger #1.

I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 458 Lott that I'm quite happy with. I've heard some have stock problems with cracking but I had no problem with mine but had it glass bedded after 100 rounds or so on general principles.

One load I have with 350 grain Speer bullets will do about 1.5 to 2 inches off the bench at 100 yards which is acceptable to me. With its weight and cushy recoil pad, it's not painful to shoot off the bench with no special recoil protection.

I really like something with more capacity than a single shot for a dangerous game rifle.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ruger Number 1-Hs are light for caliber.

Get the CZ; if you can't handle it or don't like it, it will be easier to sell than a big bore #1.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One plus for the .458 WinMag or Lott is that it is an easy conversion to 450 Nitro Express 3-1/4" Thin Rim.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How hard is it to find components for the nitro express cartridge? I would think this would not help the resale value.

Posts: 63 | Location: Maryville, MO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DUH! The 450 NE is for later, when you get bored with the most practical .458 Lott. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handle the rifles at the same time and buy the one you like the best.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get the CZ in 458 lott and never look back... EVER...

a 458 lott in a #1 is unpleasent to shot.... even to a recoil sponge like me
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
I’d also go with the CZ, out of the box you’ll have a better recoil pad and trigger pull. My only gripe about the CZ trigger is that it is in the center of the guard bow. If you have large hands like me your middle finger might get smacked when firing heavy loads. The CZ may also require minor feeding work (I’ve bought three and they all have had feeding problems).

I also have several No.1s and they are fine rifles, but like the guys said above due to their relatively light weight and terrible recoil pads they’ll accentuate the felt recoil of any caliber.

In the end if you decide to hunt anything with it you’d be better off with the bolt gun (hence the easier resale). I haven’t priced either lately but I’d guess the CZ is a little cheaper. The CZ would have a "better" range of cartridges choices if you ever decide to convert it to something else. All in all CZ’s are relatively cheap/fun guns to play around with; I think that’s what you’re probably looking for.

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the CZ I have one that used to be a .458 win but is know a 460wby i have enjoyed the rifle ever since iv had it. i too have heard of stock problems in the cz but after 300 or so rounds of all kinds in the 460 my stock is as solid as the day i bought the gun. But dont get me wrong i like the ruger no.1 and have some in smaller calibers and around hear in texas you can resale them for more than the cz.

"Speed is the key."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one word...Trigger

CZ's have an adjustable single-set trigger that is awesome for bench and load work. Rugers have a trigger that only their legal staff likes.

Rich
NRA Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I have relitively large hands but short fingers and the new cz stock is too big for my hands to be comfortable to pack around all day...The nicest thing about the #1 is its [luggability] The Hogback stock is nicer to carry for me .. ..........That is why Marlin Guide Guns are so common around where I live........If you scope the CZ then the scope makes a nice carry handle......I think the 460 Whby conversion is what I will do with mine.....If I,m going to have more weight I may as well get some use out of it............ BUT if you are going to use it as a toy gun .. Which most are any way... Big Grin The Lott is great as you can taylor the loads to what you want to do ..............You would be suprised at what you can do with a light bullet in it..........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found a really good buy on a CZ 550 in 458 WM at a local shop. Does anyone know about how much it would cost to have it reamed out to 458 Lott ? Does anyone know of a shop around the Atlanta metro area that can do this ?

Posts: 122 | Location: Villa Rica, GA. | Registered: 27 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why bother reaming to Lott? Think it through. Esp. if you're not going to hunt it, a couple of hundred fps is nada. Today there are powders that will get the Win. to where it should be, perfectly adequate for hunting.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'd think it could be done for $100 or less (least that's what I'd charge) but I don't know who in your area could do it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I want the Lott is because I don't know anyone else with one. I know a couple guys with 458 win mags but none with the Lott. I just want to be different I guess. I'll be doing most of my shooting with loads that equal high end 45/70 loads but I want the ability to load some 500 grainers up to 2300 fps just for fun every now and then. I have found a new CZ 550 in the win mag for $669 plus tax. I figured this was a good enough price that I could get it reamed for the Lott and still come out cheaper than having the gun shop order me one in the Lott for $950. Wal Mart can order the 550 in either 375 H&H or 416 Rigby for $758 but they can't get it in 458 Lott for some dumd reason. They can get me a Ruger #1 SS in 458 Lott for $729 but I'm not sure I want the #1 after listening to some of you guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tank,

Go for the CZ Lott over the Ruger #1. I had a grand time with my #1 Lott...it got me hooked on the Lott round but it doesn't handle recoil near as well as a well stocked bolt, hence my purchase and love afair with my Ruger RSM Lott.

The #1 will be cheaper initially, and WILL give you all the recoil experience you crave bone stock. BUT, if like me and want to shoot your Lott a bunch, a different rifle may suit you better.

I would bed the CZ, but the #1 needs help too as I split the stock on my Lam #1 after a couple of hundred rounds, so thats a draw there.

The Lott round is very versatile and you can go from lighter loadings up to full 500gr ~2300 for the fun of it. My favorite ground squirrel recipe is 405 Rems (CHEAP!!!) with 70 grs RL-7 and for those tough gravel pit rocks a Horn 500 SP over 82-83gr 4320. I love the full 500gr loads for play time, as they give me the good big-bore whack and experience I crave. Someday I will have a "bigger whacker" but for now the Lott fills the craving in a manageable and economical package.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what JKS said!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the CZ. I have had a Ruger # 1 in 458 Win and it was like a pile driver Big Grin

I have never even seen a 458 Lott but I did some work with a mate's 450 Ackley, which is much the same as the Lott except for the tiny shoulder and I think it was much better to play about with than the 458 Win.

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys, I kinda went against all the advice and decided to order a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott. I certainly agree with everyones opinion on why I should have bought the CZ but I coulden't find a gunshop in my area that would order me a CZ without trying to rip me off. I almost bought the one that I mentioned in 458 wm that a local shop already has at a good price but after doing some more reading and research, I really got to wondering if it would be more trouble than it's worth to have it reamed out to the Lott. I read of problems with the CZ not wanting to feed out of the mag reliably and of course the stories about the stocks splitting. So since I'm not going to be hunting with this rifle and I'm actually a lever action and single shot fan, I decided to get the Ruger #1. I have always wanted a #1 but never would have thought it would be in a 458 Lott. I guess I'll be getting a better recoil pad and that's about it. I did read about one guy that said he had a stock split on a #1 but I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone else. Is this a problem with the #1's ? If so, what do I need to do to prevent it from happening ? I'm going to have to stay off this forum because this could get very expensive. Thanks for all the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go for the cz, therea good sound rifle may need some bugs ironed out but the base is there, and as you mentioned you have the mag capacity.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tank,
Nice choice. I installed a Limb Saver pad on mine. Recoil feels about the same as a CZ.
I can't comment on the stock splitting as I have only run about 100 rounds thru it.

Les

Posts: 73 | Location: LaPorte,Texas | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Robert405
posted Hide Post
Tank, you and I live pretty close to each other. Can you pm me with the name of the shop that has the 458 Win.Mag. I'd like to go and take a look at it.

Posts: 150 | Location: GA. | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I wound up with the CZ after all. The Ruger #1 that I had a shop order came in and it was a win mag instead of the Lott. No one could find a place that had any blued #1's in the Lott available, only stainless models and I don't like the look of those. So I went and got the CZ that I mentioned for a good price and I am planning on getting it reamed for the Lott. Does anyone know where I can rent a reamer that is of the original wild cat specs ? As I understand, it has a longer throat than what the standardized reamer will have which will allow bullets to be seated out a little further freeing up space for powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the barrel has to be removed on a CZ 550 in order to ream the chamber out from 458 WM to 458 Lott ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Advisable. My gunsmith took the barrel of a Whitworth in 458WM and dykem-blue'd the rear of the chamber where the belt is. He just ran the reamer in on the lathe until he saw the first smudge on the blue and then fit and checked the headspace. Dead on with .001" more depth.

regards,

Rich
DRSS