THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Another big bore nightmare
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another big bore nightmare Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you look at this you will be sorry

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not as sorry as the guy who did it.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre-war Holland and Holland takedown action in .375

Coulda had a pair of modern guns made and scoped for less...

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am feeling lightheaded and will have to excuse myself now.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Damn, can you believe some idoit put a lousy mauser bolt action under those stud Weaver mounts? That is sickening. What a waste of perfectly good alumium mounts. Sad.

Mike

Posts: 21231 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple solution.

A trip to JJ Perodeau, have claw mounts fitted.

Universe saved, natural order restored.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My eyes ain't so good. Is the front mount welded on?

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm feeling a bit nauseous...kind of like the room is tilting...I think I'll go lie down for a while...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I told you you would be sorry.
It is a magnum Mauser too.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what a shame..

description reads
quote:
The previous owner used it to good effect on many elephant in Africa and added the scope due to failing eyesight in his old age. Overall an extraordinary pre-war take down Mauser rifle in very fine condition and even has the original untouched spare front sight stowed in the pistol grip compartment.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No the front mount is not welded on, it's just covering up the luxurious non glare finish on the barrel ring. Sickens me that people don't realize or better put, appreciate what they have. My model 70 and Whitworth express {used} came drilled and tapped, my 602 and #1H have dovetails, if I would of had the option those features wouldn't have been there. Irons only for DGR's. I've got plenty scoped rifles to use for there own purposes. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It aint just drilled its drilled in the wrong place right through the lug Eeker

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Well if he shot some elephants with it , and needed the scope on a rifle he had used and enjoyed for years ......Seems like he was makeing do.....I wonder what the rifles total bag was........And all its paticulars.......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could have the holes filled with TIG weld and the rifle re blued.

Having some Oklahoma gunsmith put on claw mount bases wouldn't be much better than it is now.

If you want claw mounts and wish to retain the value you need to have it done by Holland.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ will do a better job than the lads at Holland & Holland.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
JJ will do a better job than the lads at Holland & Holland.

Maybe, if he does the work. But you miss the point of provenance.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Damn, I didn't know so many existed out there that can shoot lions, leopards, and buffalo using open sights with such precision. Confused

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody awful.....................he could have at least put a foward mounted piccatinny rail on it and mounted a bushnell Holosite Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the British were so great why did we fight a war with them and through them out of this country yankees

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R D Show:
If the British were so great why did we fight a war with them and through them out of this country yankees

I think we found the microcephalic who ruined the rifle in question.....jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
LOL! I just wish that he would have spelled "Throw" correctly.

------------

Although it is a shame what the owner had done. He is the owner and no one can tell him what and what not to do with his belongings. If you had a ZERO mile 1970 Chevelle SS454 and you wanted it crushed because it had bad handling or bad memories then im sure people would frown on you and throw big $$$ at you but if you wanted it done and you were the owner then do as you please.

I don't believe in people telling you what to do with your stuff. I am sure others on the board feel the same way.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
what a shame..

description reads
quote:
The previous owner used it to good effect on many elephant in Africa and added the scope due to failing eyesight in his old age. Overall an extraordinary pre-war take down Mauser rifle in very fine condition and even has the original untouched spare front sight stowed in the pistol grip compartment.

It seems like I have seen gthat rifle before. Whose web site is it on now?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Lewis Drake has it: www.drake.net

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There really ought to be an oath for gunsmiths:

"First, do no harm . . . "

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ad says "Superb 25 barrel with brilliant bore." Gee, I hope so. It's been rebarreled.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed, asking what a "damaged" one was actually worth. Somehow, the fact that this rifle is in Kentucky seems appropriate...

Rich
DRSS
replicate...don't mutilate

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I emailed, asking what a "damaged" one was actually worth. Somehow, the fact that this rifle is in Kentucky seems appropriate...

Rich
DRSS
replicate...don't mutilate

So can you tell me what Kentucky has to do with it. Would it make a difference if it were in Idaho?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
hammering

Love the bashing...should keep this thread interesting for a while

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you did ask me, right?

My brother-in-law, henceforth known as the BIL, married a girl from KY (I always thought that was where they made the jelly) and ended up moving back there to run the family farm. They had a family get-together and my wife and here sister decided to go last summer. They drive down from my Mom's house outside of St Louis and Sturgis is where they live. This neighbor of his is 38 years old, and does not have any of his teeth left. Not since the 10th grade. He is at the party, works for the BIL and is trying to eat corn on the cob without his falsies. When they say "falsies" they mean teeth, not what we think here. The BIL tells us this guy decides to find a woman to marry about 18 months ago, since his live-in ran off with a truck driver she met at the truck stop where she was employed. He isn't having any luck and the BIL suggested he get some dentures made to enhance his chances with the opposite sex. He does, and they do, and he got married at Christmas. Puts the teeth up...Ralph says "Bobby-Joe, where are your teeth?". B-J tells the assembly of about 80 people that he did get himself a woman, and doesn't need to wear them anymore. I swear on my grandmother's grave this is true. One of the ladies (black) there is raising her grandchildren (common story) because her daughter is a crackhead. The boy's name is Dijon...his mother named him after her (I swear!!) after the mustard they had at this shelter home she stayed at her last two months of the pregnancy. My niece is his age,nine, and the kids there all play together with no apparent color distinctions. Except the niece starts talking about "her daddy this and that" and this kid starts bawling and hauls freight for home. Ralph has to remind his daughter that she is not to talk like that (dad stuff) around this Dijon kid because there isn't one at his house. There are about eight or nine kids from the niece's school there, and all of them are packing little wooden wedges between their front two teeth. My wife makes the mistake of asking why on God's Green Earth they are doing that...the explaination is that it makes it easier to spit chew juice out at the playground spitting contests at the middle school. My niece is upset because she is the only one that can't do that. She often refers to Ralph as "that yankee that my momma married"...not realizing sometimes that it is her father she refers to. My BIL is not quite accepted in the county as "one of us" because he has kindly passed on the annual opportunity to join the KKK branch there, that his father in law and two BIL's belong to. But is well regarded, they do not view anybody born and raised in Montana as a real Yankee with a capitol "Y". More like a westerner, like Roy Rogers and them all folks.

Do you want the other thirteen pages from my wife's journal, or is that enough for you? Rule #3C: never ask a question you do not know the answer to in public unless you are ready for the worst.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
you did ask me, right?

My brother-in-law, henceforth known as the BIL, married a girl from KY (I always thought that was where they made the jelly) and ended up moving back there to run the family farm. They had a family get-together and my wife and here sister decided to go last summer. They drive down from my Mom's house outside of St Louis and Sturgis is where they live. This neighbor of his is 38 years old, and does not have any of his teeth left. Not since the 10th grade. He is at the party, works for the BIL and is trying to eat corn on the cob without his falsies. When they say "falsies" they mean teeth, not what we think here. The BIL tells us this guy decides to find a woman to marry about 18 months ago, since his live-in ran off with a truck driver she met at the truck stop where she was employed. He isn't having any luck and the BIL suggested he get some dentures made to enhance his chances with the opposite sex. He does, and they do, and he got married at Christmas. Puts the teeth up...Ralph says "Bobby-Joe, where are your teeth?". B-J tells the assembly of about 80 people that he did get himself a woman, and doesn't need to wear them anymore. I swear on my grandmother's grave this is true. One of the ladies (black) there is raising her grandchildren (common story) because her daughter is a crackhead. The boy's name is Dijon...his mother named him after her (I swear!!) after the mustard they had at this shelter home she stayed at her last two months of the pregnancy. My niece is his age,nine, and the kids there all play together with no apparent color distinctions. Except the niece starts talking about "her daddy this and that" and this kid starts bawling and hauls freight for home. Ralph has to remind his daughter that she is not to talk like that (dad stuff) around this Dijon kid because there isn't one at his house. There are about eight or nine kids from the niece's school there, and all of them are packing little wooden wedges between their front two teeth. My wife makes the mistake of asking why on God's Green Earth they are doing that...the explaination is that it makes it easier to spit chew juice out at the playground spitting contests at the middle school. My niece is upset because she is the only one that can't do that. She often refers to Ralph as "that yankee that my momma married"...not realizing sometimes that it is her father she refers to. My BIL is not quite accepted in the county as "one of us" because he has kindly passed on the annual opportunity to join the KKK branch there, that his father in law and two BIL's belong to. But is well regarded, they do not view anybody born and raised in Montana as a real Yankee with a capitol "Y". More like a westerner, like Roy Rogers and them all folks.

Do you want the other thirteen pages from my wife's journal, or is that enough for you? Rule #3C: never ask a question you do not know the answer to in public unless you are ready for the worst.

Rich
DRSS

Actually I find that story hilarious and I know people like that. But I promise you we also have plenty of normal people here also. Good story though.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:

OK, ladies, what are we most disgusted about? The Weaver's or the Buhler? Anybody cares to take a guess which one came originally from the grand H&H?

A, The Weavers
B, The Buehler
C, Both

See, the truth is that all the answers could be the right one. English gunmakers can do absolutely anything, being devine, you know - and you guys are the proove to that.

When it comes to boltrifles, theese gunhouses have made them at almost any price. Because, like any other buisnesses, they will do anything for money.

You see, if a client brings in a gun to its original gunhouse for alternation, they will please their customer, not tell them they are crazy.
I really do not see the difference if a gun is fitted with Weavers in London or Kentucky.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Bent,
My point precisely.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:

OK, ladies, what are we most disgusted about? The Weaver's or the Buhler? Anybody cares to take a guess which one came originally from the grand H&H?

A, The Weavers
B, The Buehler
C, Both

See, the truth is that all the answers could be the right one. English gunmakers can do absolutely anything, being devine, you know - and you guys are the proove to that.

When it comes to boltrifles, theese gunhouses have made them at almost any price. Because, like any other buisnesses, they will do anything for money.

You see, if a client brings in a gun to its original gunhouse for alternation, they will please their customer, not tell them they are crazy.
I really do not see the difference if a gun is fitted with Weavers in London or Kentucky.

Ignorance must be truly bliss.
------------------------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya Know, I can excuse myself for building a "practical rifle" on an old Parker-Hale action ... and using Weaver mount bases on it. But darned if I'd have done that to the rifle in question!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the Idaho Zephyr's diary pages about the "Little Sturgis" motorcycle rally held in Kaintuck each year. animal

Dr. Drake is doing us Kentuckians proud here, once more, offering up his own personal using rifle for sale at "price reduced," complete with ugly Weaver rings and bases. The retired OB/GYN, MD, is now an honorary PhD in OB/GUN: Obnoxious Gunology. Wink

Doctor Lewis "Ludwig Von" Drake could take some pointers on sales technique. Had he put NEW LEUPOLD QRW rings and bases on that jewel it would have been sold already. animal

He says it is phenomenally accurate with those ugly old Weaver rings and bases. This is a testament to Weaver. William Ralph "Bill" Weaver is another Kentuckian to blame for this.
He started in the gun scoping biz in Newport, KY in 1930. He had to flee to El Paso, TX in 1933. Grapes of Wrath style. Wink

http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/weaverop_013006

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Dr. Drake is doing us Kentuckians proud here, once more, offering up his own personal using rifle for sale at "price reduced," complete with ugly Weaver rings and bases. The retired OB/GYN, MD, is now an honorary PhD in OB/GUN: Obnoxious Gunology. Wink

Lewis is Lewis. He says "most original finish remains throughout", but doesn't bother to mention the obvious replacement barrel. Knowing Lewis, he probably doesn't even know.
------------------------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip,

Heavens ... even I used QRW rings on my JUNKER. The do look pretty good actually Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey RIP,

while you are pontificating, what's your story today about ripping on me last fall for not being able to read a mike measuring 416 Rigby brass of various flavors? That being as Jeffe was sent some of that brass and he reads the same diameter as I did.
By the way, do you wear dentures too? As many times as you have stuck your foot in your mouth I'd expect some serious grade infections...considering where your boots have been.

Jarrod knows, as does everybody else, that I was just jamming him a little. I'd be okay to live in KY, except they do not have any elk or bighorn sheep, or mountain goats, or mule deer, or bear to hunt. That's why I moved here in 1978...hunting opportunities.
By the way, got any 375 rugger ammunition for that doorstop of yours yet?

It's pushing 50-degrees here already, I think I will load up a couple of rifles, and the gear and go to the range and SHOOT! my newest rifle. Y'see I check, and buy ammunition for rifles when I buy one...

regards,

Rich
DRSS
don't buy 'em if ya can't shoot 'em

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I have not had a cavity since I was 12 years old, and have never had a tooth pulled except for all 4 wisdom teeth at once, but it was not too bad because the dentist gave me laughing gas for that.

They do have have some elk transplanted to the Eastern Kentucky hills and they are token hunting them by drawing permit, pretty goofy, I'll admit. Plenty of deer and coyote, 'coon and 'possum. Wink

My problem with you and your brass was only about how you could run a Rigby case into a full length 510 Wells die without scraping/swaging a pseudo belt into the brass.
I have to attribute that to sloppy dies, not your measuring ability.

ScottS is on ignore, so I won't know it if he chimes in here again too, but even trolls can know some facts. You know what I mean. donttroll

I sure would enjoy those other pages, especially if there is anything about "Little Sturgis" motorcycle rally. Big Grin

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote