Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 h&h under $2K? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I've decided I am going to buy a .375 h&h, and I will save up to $2,000 to do it. I have been looking at Winchester Safari Express's, whitworth mausers, and maybe even a CZ American safari? Any others I should consider? CRF action and express sights are my only requirements. Synthetic or wood stocked, if it's wood I will eventually have a synthetic stock for it as well.

Colin

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a couple 375's in Win M70, they are hard to beat. Had a CZ and they are ok but seem like they will take some work to get them perfect. I have one Super Grade and a stainless classic.
Have not owned a Whitworth so I can't speak about them.
For me the M70's are as close to ready to hunt as anything available.
Good luck with yours.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Kimber 375 Talkeetna
Already comes with synthetic stock

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Personal tastes vary so handle them if you get a chance.

I would pick the Model 70 and spend the extra on the stock you want and having it looked over by a good gunsmith.

There is also the 375 Ruger but I prefer the Winchester safety.

My personal opinion is that you can make a very nice rifle on the CZ or Mark X/Whitworth, but as-issued the CZ is not my preferred setup, and the Mark X I have needed help out of the box.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't have a Model 70 in .375, but in other calibers including .458.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at buying one, sold the Remington 700 in 375 H+H during my Remington purge.
I have narrowed the field to a Ruger RSM (if I can find one not beat up or customized) or a Winchester 70 in the Alaskan version with the 25 inch barrel and standard sights and stock.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
So I've decided I am going to buy a .375 h&h, and I will save up to $2,000 to do it. I have been looking at Winchester Safari Express's, whitworth mausers, and maybe even a CZ American safari? Any others I should consider? CRF action and express sights are my only requirements. Synthetic or wood stocked, if it's wood I will eventually have a synthetic stock for it as well.

Colin

A chopped up winchester would be nice. When you say you want "express sights" do you mean multi leaf? If you want multi leaf sights just to have them, fine, but they are a joke that people don't want to let go. You are better off with an adjustable rear or one fileable shallow rear V. If you get the masterpiece adj rear you can make a different faceplate for the rear like I did to better set a bead. Also, you can get a rear peep.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
All that are and will be mentioned here are fine rifles. I feel the best bang for the buck is an FN Whitworth. You can pick on up for well under 1K and that will leave you another K for a scope, mounts, reloading, etc.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
All that are and will be mentioned here are fine rifles. I feel the best bang for the buck is an FN Whitworth. You can pick on up for well under 1K and that will leave you another K for a scope, mounts, reloading, etc.
Cal

Is the 375 Ruger under consideration as a 375? If so, the Ruger African makes a great rifle. My wife's Alaskan is excellent, too, if available. Both allow money to be spent on scope and loading equipment. Rugers come with great scope rings.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I have CZ-550 Magnum in .375 H&H, but it is custom made one (stock rifle selected out of many, everything disassembled, fitted, tuned, polished, engraved, reblued a and put together).

Very good rifle, but I would not buy stock CZ. Or, if there is ten of them in the same caliber in the shop, select best one. There could be great difference piece to piece.

Jiri

Here is mine 375:

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the input. At the current time I do not reload but I have all the equipment, including dies for the .375 h&h.

I am not considering the ruger, only because few gunsmiths want to work with them, and the lack of aftermarket support. I plan to keep this gun, and eventually have a nice stock made, premium barrel, and other assorted bits. I have owned at least 15 ruger firearms and they are always reliable and accurate.

What is the potential issues with the CZ? I have heard they were a little rough, but eventually smoothed out. Their stocks for the American safari are nice looking, at least from pictures. AHR also does nice work that I like the looks of.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
I have CZ-550 Magnum in .375 H&H, but it is custom made one (stock rifle selected out of many, everything disassembled, fitted, tuned, polished, engraved, reblued a and put together).

Very good rifle, but I would not buy stock CZ. Or, if there is ten of them in the same caliber in the shop, select best one. There could be great difference piece to piece.

Jiri

Here is mine 375:

Beautiful rifle. Very close to what I am looking to do. Besides the forend tip and scope to my eyes that is a very britishesque gun.

What is the tuning involved in executing this?

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Colin Master:

The rifle is made by Master Engraver of CZ (Engraving Art Studio). What I know he has his gunsmith, who select the best rifle of many. Later, the rifle is completely disassembled, fitted, polished (including chamber), jeweled receiver etc. So everything work smooth. Stock is completely custom, made from wood which select customer. There is also box for 4 cartridges in stock etc. Later, it is engraved (my rifle is lightly engraved - it is hunting gun, not presentation one) and all reblued etc. It has Talley QD rings (also polished, gold inlays and reblued) and Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 scope.

Picture quality is bad, it is shot long time ago by poor cellphone.

Cartridge box in stock:

More info here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...811082851#1811082851

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a Ruger Safari Magnum in 375 H&H they are a very nice rifle. They come with a quarter rib with three express sights, integral bases for scope mounting, a large action and they are usually very accurate rifles. No longer made but a very good find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri you have an absolute beautiful rifle.

My personal opinion, the above rifles listed are all excellent. With small changes they can be made to fit your needs.
My advise is to buy a custom used rifle that someone put a lot more money in it and pick it up for under $2k.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Are there any "FN" Whitworths? All the Whitworths I have seen have been built on a Yugoslavian action that is a copy of the FN. Their quality is good, but not up to FN standards.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any "FN" Whitworths

Never seen one.

A Whitworth on classifieds now

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1078981/m/9521005422

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZs come with a synthetic stock. They need a little work on the safety and trigger pull but otherwise are great rifles. They also can take 5 rounds in the magazine. Not many 375s can.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colin,

I'd be looking over the Internet gun sites for something second hand. You should be able to find an excellent CZ or Whitworth to fit your budget and it might already be tweaked. Do have someone that works on big bores check it for bedding and feeding.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=182

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=184

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A used CZ for sub $1000, B&C synthetic stock for $275, $700 in work by AHR, and you'll have a wonderfully reliable, workable rifle. I think I found my CZ used for around $650.

Those MRC rifles are quite tempting, though. Anyone here have one?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an easy one, if there's ever a such thing on AR.! Find a nice Interarms Whitworth and never look back. They are accurate, elegant, usually great wood, and affordable. But make sure it's a Whitworth.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
This is an easy one, if there's ever a such thing on AR.! Find a nice Interarms Whitworth and never look back. They are accurate, elegant, usually great wood, and affordable. But make sure it's a Whitworth.

By the way, there's a very nice Whitworth in the Classifieds for $900. Jump on it and don't look back.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice CZ 375 which is an AHR level 3+ upgrade. New safety, trigger, shroud, sights, stock, pistol grip added, "billboard" filled in, etc. That work puts it over your expressed budget. Stock, I do not like the sights, safety, shroud, or stock. Personal preference. As modified, it is all great except the weight.

I picked up an Interarms Alaskan .375 used a number of years ago. It has the same action as the Whitworth. I had some upgrades done and a McMillan stock added, but it still was not what I wanted. Got it back recently from AHR with a full work over. New sights, safety, barrel band swivel, re-stock, metal re-finished. Again, it is very nice but the work puts it out of your stated budget.

Stock, the Mark X's have a safety that i don't particularly like. I have seen their stocks with cross-bolt covers with no cross bolts underneath. Frequently see cracks between the trigger and mag box, but that is not uncommon with heavy rounds. I have had a floor plate that won't release (Whitworh .458), sights yhat are not indexed (on the Alaskan), problems feeding and ejecting (particularly the .458). Others have had no issues and you see much praise for them here.

The Model 70 Safari Express has a decent trigger, safety, and sights out of the box. Somebody got a decent deal on one I was watching on GunBroker last night -- $965.

The Ruger Safari Magnum mentioned above is a very handsome rifle. I think they are heavier than I want in a .375 and I prefer the Model 70 safety.

Handle them all if you can and pick the one you like. I like to have all of my serious rifles looked over by a good smith, but some here have never had a problem.

AHR-CZ .375:

AHR-Mark X .375 (Wayne's Picture, I have not photographed this one yet):

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a rifle to hunt with or look at?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out the M70 Alaskan? Mine weighs a few ounces less my .270 Featherweight, and handles like a deer rifle instead of some 10 pound plus club. At the price you could change the sights.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a heretic, but my push feed Steyr-Mannlicher is exceptional in every reasonable way. It is lights out accurate, feeds like liquid, has the best iron sights that I've ever used and is generally a joy to shoot.

I'm not an expert and I don't even play one on TV, but it's an exceptional rifle.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My intentions for this rifle is that it be my main hunting rifle and I will sell off the rest except for a .22 and a .240 weatherby that was given to me.

Ideally I want to be able to tinker with it over time (not me, a quality gunsmith). I own a restaurant so I pretty much can't hunt so I have the time. The support for a Mauser derivative and the Winchester is there and for the Ruger it is not. Hopefully I sell the restaurant in a couple of years and then I am going to Africa for a Buffalo.

Thank you very much for the insights, and I have been it contact with the Whitworth seller, as well as someone else with a Winchester safari.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The .375 H&H will be around forever. As to newer offerings, well look at the lever gun .450 Marlin and try to buy ammo for it today. Possible, yes, but not easy.

I second the suggestion of jump on the Whitworth in the classifieds.

I have a takedown Cogswell and Harrison .375 H&H in a vintage oak and leather case for sale. It is far more than you wish to spend but .375s come in all grades, have been around for over 100 years, and has proven itself for that long.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Get a M70.

I think you can easily do a M70, minor gunsmithing to tweak it to your liking, good rings/ mount and good glass for under 2K.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Get a M70.

I think you can easily do a M70, minor gunsmithing to tweak it to your liking, good rings/ mount and good glass for under 2K.

I would second this. tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sako Kodiak in 375H&H is a great option. I love the iron sights on mine.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a M70 375H&H (was a .270 Classic) made with profiled Lothar Walther barrel (same profile as my old H&H 375H&H) in D'Arcy Echols stock and Wiebe bottom metal. Very happy with it.

Cost wise, I would buy a Kimber Talkeetna instead now if I wanted synthetic.

The standard M70 375H&H Safari Express is way too heavy and clubby for my liking.

Good luck with your quest!

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Have you checked out the M70 Alaskan? Mine weighs a few ounces less my .270 Featherweight, and handles like a deer rifle instead of some 10 pound plus club. At the price you could change the sights.

That's a nice looking rifle Dogleg.

I don't think they imported any into Australia, well not that I have seen.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I have a couple 375's in Win M70, they are hard to beat. Had a CZ and they are ok but seem like they will take some work to get them perfect. I have one Super Grade and a stainless classic.
Have not owned a Whitworth so I can't speak about them.
For me the M70's are as close to ready to hunt as anything available.
Good luck with yours.
agreed! I have a New Haven M70 that shoots 1 inch groups with anything I have tried. I hear that the FNs are even better. $1,499.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:

I really like what they did with the barrel contour on this rifle.It duplicates one of the scarcest pre 64 M70 375 barrels.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Kimber 375 Talkeetna
Already comes with synthetic stock

Ditto!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If you handle a Talkeetna and have the money, I bet you won't have that money longer than 10 min.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kimber 375 Talkeetna

$1807 at Buds.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
When we get back I am going to buy a Talkeetna, it does really handle like a brown bear slaying wand.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Has Kimber gotten a handle on the quality control issues with its bolt guns? They used to be serious.
I have owned the CZ, handled the big Ruger and bought the Model 70. Like others, I prefer the Winchester safety and the triggers are usually excellent. The CZ needs smoothing and tuning and still feels heavier and less lively, at least in my hands.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16376 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote