THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Repost of 600 Overkill Video..Such "Horsepower"!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repost of 600 Overkill Video..Such "Horsepower"! Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
I know many have seen it here,but for those who haven't...The video is 4 minutes with a few gaps in it....Note how the recoil Doesn't seem excessive(it is only 8pds 3 ounces,but it has a effective integral brake)..Enjoy clap
PS.Knocking over a completely Full drum of wter still amaze's me! Eeker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGfu3Rge8Xo

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I miss all the 600 Overkill posts, they kind of dried up. That video never gets old! I have a .500 Jeffery coming from CZ in April, next year I will own a 600 OK. Thanks KID.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will have to give you an Overkill fix. Here are some photos of 600 OK stuff. A blast from the past.
We are always working on a few 600 OK's at a time. There are more out there than you might think.

Let's see your 600 OK photos.

Joe's Raging Russian taken with his OK

600 vs. a charging water jugs

800 grain X's

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Wayne........dont get me started again, PLEASE!

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod, I'm thinking of making one with the bolt on the wrong side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kid, Grizzilla, and a couple of unfortunate porkers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bitteroot, Its just like old times again!

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Dang Bitterroot,every time I look at that Boar,He gets bigger! Eeker Good thing you had your trusty .600 OverKILL! That thing could do some damage! Big Grin

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Watering the lawn...

Charging pumpkins...

Keeping an Overkill feed...

1st buff...

2nd buff...

Big bullets...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an Alaskan Bear and the 900 grain Woodleigh SN that hit it at 205 yds. These aren't just for short range.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I got a GREAT idea tu2 Skip the lil 500 Jeffery and go for the gusto!Get dat .600 Instead clap
quote:
Originally posted by doubledown:
I miss all the 600 Overkill posts, they kind of dried up. That video never gets old! I have a .500 Jeffery coming from CZ in April, next year I will own a 600 OK. Thanks KID.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kid, that's not me with the Boar. That is Joe Siedel; he used to post here alot. I haven't heard from him in a while.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
Kid, that's not me with the Boar. That is Joe Siedel; he used to post here alot. I haven't heard from him in a while.

OK,thanks for the heads up on that...Dang Nice Bear there! How did he react when hhe got smashed with that 900 grains?Also,that Woodleigh didnt hold up to well for what I can see...They are just to soft at Overkill velocities,even though he was 200+ yds...Need a heavier jacket. I nailed a Zebra with mine at 169 yds(I think) and it didnt go though both sides?,but he was lights out.Solid Coppers are probably the best!

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is an Alaskan Bear and the 900 grain Woodleigh SN that hit it at 205 yds

What shot angle was that Wayne?
I kinda figured nothing on a Bear would stop a 900gr from a 600OK

Kid, what kind of Vel. are we talking @ 200 yds?

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the best 600 OK photo of them all. The Kid again. Thanks Tom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the bullet went in that bear on an angle. I'd have to look up the email from the fellow who shot it. It looks like it did some brush clearing and a little roto-tilling before it expired. The Woodleigh is soft, but I don't recall anything getting away when hit with it so far.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
A few More....Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
trophyhunter5000
Those two Woodleighs on the left look to be perfect mushrooms. You were shooting at a slightly reduced velocity weren't you? Nice Buffs!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
big woodlieghs are pretty soft ..

here's a pic of a .585, impact about 2250 fps on an eland RGB's nyati!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Woodleigh is soft, but I don't recall anything getting away when hit with it so far.

I dont doubt that for a second, that beast is nutz

So is Woodleigh the only "mass producer" of bullets?

Awesome pics BTW

Jeff, that pic scares me everytime I see it....the lead pancake

Rod

Bob Hagel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
trophyhunter5000
Those two Woodleighs on the left look to be perfect mushrooms. You were shooting at a slightly reduced velocity weren't you? Nice Buffs!!

Thanks Wayne...

Yup I was shooting at MV of around 1950 fps...

The softs were mostly broadside or slightly quartering and were recovered under the hide on the far side with massive damage done in between...

Tom's right; the Woodies could use a heavier jacket even at the NE velocity I was shooting at...

But you really can't argue with dead!!!

The soft that looks a little chewed up smashed a shoulder knuckle on the way in...

The two solids were from head on lengthwise shots and were recovered under the hide on the hind quarters (probably would've been complete pass throughs with a little extra speed)...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I agree with dead is dead! Just another note though,that Warthog suprised us on a Buff stalk and was only maybe 15 yds looking at us and since I saw those 13" tusk,I said GoodNight.Hit him front right and stuck in the rear left ham,but didnt go though,but what a MESS inside! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod,

We have some SN made by Alaska Bullet works that are a little too hard and the jacket too thick. They act too much like solids. We are going back to the drawing board on these. We also are working with a manufacturer on a 900 grain protected-point which I think will be perfect for a soft. It won't get banged up in the magazine. I have been doing some testing with them and the performance is close but not quite there yet.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
quote:
The Woodleigh is soft, but I don't recall anything getting away when hit with it so far.

I dont doubt that for a second, that beast is nutz

So is Woodleigh the only "mass producer" of bullets?

Awesome pics BTW

Jeff, that pic scares me everytime I see it....the lead pancake

If that is a pancake,what is this?(FLAPJACK-LOL!)

Hint:2000grain 4 Bore! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
I agree with dead is dead! Just another note though,that Warthog suprised us on a Buff stalk and was only maybe 15 yds looking at us and since I saw those 13" tusk,I said GoodNight.Hit him front right and stuck in the rear left ham,but didnt go though,but what a MESS inside! clap

That is a nice porker!

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Kid, that is hillarious Eeker

That aint a Pancake, nor a FLATjack, its a whole damn enchilada

Keep 'em coming....just what I need, to start thinking I need something like a 600

Rod

Bob Hagel

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
Kid, that is hillarious Eeker

That aint a Pancake, nor a FLATjack, its a whole damn enchilada

Keep 'em coming....just what I need, to start thinking I need something like a 600

Here is my Cape buff ala 600 OverKill - Me with 600OK, Pop with his 585AHR and Wayne our PH

Here is Pop's Cabe buffalo ala 585AHR (baby brother of 600OK)

My brother and the tree that we posted our targets on. THe 600 stopped that tree's charge in mid-stride

Went through that tree and stopped in its little brother:

and looked like this when we took it out:

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a GREAT idea Skip the lil 500 Jeffery and go for the gusto!Get dat .600 Instead

Kid I bought 500 Jeff dies, brass, and bullets long before I ordered the rifle, that way I could'nt back out. I love the 600 OK posts, they keep me focused, this time next year God willing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the photos, great inspiration for any of us planning a big gun project. one question though. Not really a question, but FWIW.

Do you guys worry about hearing loss? I see some hunting photos with muzzle brakes attached. Do you use plugs or electronic canceling head sets?

I lost about 90% left (side facing the muzzle) and 50% right, (maybe more by now) its annoying to those around me- more than myself. But, my ears do ring 24x7. Its a cumulative loss (never comes back) and by the time you take serious note, its too late. Then, old age will slowly rob the rest of your hearing. Of course, in the end,.... well you know how that goes.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Nope, no more worry than shooting without a muzzle brake.

Neither I nor anyone else I hunt with use any sort of plugs or noise cancelling devices while hunting.

Of course we all do when target shooting/sighting-in/plinking but not in the field hunting particularly when hunting dangerous game or when dangerous game might be hunting us.

I wonder if law enforcement personnel use plugs or electronic noise cancelling headsets while on the job. I wonder too what the dB level at the ear of the shooter firing a 9mm, 40, 38 or 357 from a 4-6" barrel might be compared to that from a long rifle in a big-bore hunting caliber.

The reason I ask is that for LEOs there probably has been some scientific data collected from their discharge of weapons while on the job (vs. practice at the range). If that data exists AND there has been a comparison of the dB of a typical LEO's weapon to a typical big bore hunting rifle, we could then generate a graph of shots to hearing loss. AND if we had true scientific data comparing the dB reaching the ear of a person firing a typicl big bor long rifle both with and without a muzzle brake, we could generate a similar graphfor that experience (of course accurate only for that length barrel, that particular round at that particular velocity and that particular muzzle brake design).

So, lot's to ponder and calculate. No doubt that hearing injury can be (but not exclusively) cumulative and certainly something to be seriousy considered and prevented. While real, the danger of muzzle brakes, like that of the Swine Flu (H1N1) the media hype far, far, far outstrips the reality.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the media hype far, far, far outstrips the reality.

I am really getting boarder line deaf. No kidding and no graphs needed.

And it maybe from outdoor pistol shooting with no protection, or from all the upland hunting. I can do a lot of shooting in a day. A little skeet, no protection. All that shooting can add up. It is cumulative. Needless to say, when I started out things were a lot different than today. Shooting, asbestos brake linings, chain saw noise, you name it we did not know nothin for nothin. So; those early years I did a lot of damage. I do know this, when I was doing the damage: I never realized it.

I suppose, you could borrow or buy a hand held db noise meter and compare 12ga, 357, 30-06 and 600ok with and without a brake. Not to over simplify. I was just asking. I have no choice but to protect what little I got left and take the cautious route.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac's 585 turned 750gr solid in my 585HE went through
6 ft thick bundle of hardwood when I put the shit to it.
My shooting turns the inside of those bundles into toothpicks.
650gr soft hollowpoint in 585 will blow up a 6gal pail
of water about like the 12ga FH does.

Got to brag up mine a little.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
quote:
the media hype far, far, far outstrips the reality.

I am really getting boarder line deaf. No kidding and no graphs needed.

And it maybe from outdoor pistol shooting with no protection, or from all the upland hunting. I can do a lot of shooting in a day. A little skeet, no protection. All that shooting can add up. It is cumulative. Needless to say, when I started out things were a lot different than today. Shooting, asbestos brake linings, chain saw noise, you name it we did not know nothin for nothin. So; those early years I did a lot of damage. I do know this, when I was doing the damage: I never realized it.

I suppose, you could borrow or buy a hand held db noise meter and compare 12ga, 357, 30-06 and 600ok with and without a brake. Not to over simplify. I was just asking. I have no choice but to protect what little I got left and take the cautious route.

fourbore,
no doubt you are 100% correct about hearing loss related to repetative injury braked or unbraked. My comment about hye was solely related to perceptions regarding the relative "safety" of unbraked vs the "horrors" of braked rifles.

Since I have never had the opportunity to do any wing shooting, I've never thought about the cases of shells one goes through when going for dove, ducks, etc. I've only read about it and it seems amazing in terms of sheer numbers of rounds fired. I have always worn ear protecton when shooting skeet, though.

Your advice is good and should be heeded by me and everyone else - protct what you can't get back - like your hearing.

Stay well,
Paul

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
ED- My 900gr solids at 2400fps out of the .600OK will go through 9FT of solid oak and keep on going.No .585 has ever beaten it for penetration. The .600OK rules! The only thing better is a BIGGER BORE!
I have to say that the pics posted here should be a wake up call for the "INEXPERIENCED EXPERTS" we seem to have accumulated on this site lately. Perhaps they will get it through their thick heads that just because THEY cant shoot a real BIG BORE doesnt mean that others cant!. Sorry guys thats the truth!
Please note that people do hunt with ,600OKs and do quite well! Note that EXPERIENCED Hunters use muzzel brakes for a reason. That reason is they WORK! Pay attention, focus, concentrate. Perhaps you'll learn something!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RGB,

it is a slightly sad commentary on the times that we tend to foist our own limitations on others. Perhaps saying, in effect "if I can't you can't either".

I got to shoot one of the .600 OK's at the Helena shoot last June. With the brake, both it and the .700 were more than accurate for any hunting applications. They probably aren't 300 yard shooters, but a scope might surprise a few at that distance.

Thank you for making the .600 OK happen.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Rich- Thanks for the nice comments.
Your right. It is a sad commentary that it seems to be the rule these days that people with no actual experience in an area now feel that they have the absolute right to tell those who do ,what their opinions of their work is and absolutely hate it when their exposed as FOOLS. Its trendy to be nice, but I dont suffer fools well.
Unfortunately this is the internet and the make believe crowd has lots of bandwidth.
I also have to thank the guys on this thread who have done so much with this cartridge. I just got it going. They keep it going! -Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
RGB & ISS, which posts on this thread are you talking about?

Rod

Bob Hagel

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Not talking about posts on this tread so far. Although it should not be long before the "experts chime in". Talking about other posts. Its not hard to figure out who.-Rob

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Gotchya...I went back and reread my posts & thought maybe my words were a little mis-construed(sp?)

But ya your right.....the typer snipers will be along shortly

Rod

Bob Hagel

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
cmfic1- Absolutely no issues with you. The guys we are talking about are obvious ,I think we all know who they are.-Rob