THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    M70 tang relief when fully bedding

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 tang relief when fully bedding Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve read a bunch of different recommendations on relieving the tang on a M70. What’s the consensus from the experts on relieving the tang when pillar and glass bedding the entire action on a 416 Rem? It seems to make some sense that having the tang bedded tight could provide more stability to the entire action along with the recoil lug. But when the stock flexes under recoil, maybe that’s where a split could show up?

Is it best to relieve the vertical surface circled in the picture below after bedding or leave it tight?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only vertical surface that should have contact is the back of the recoil lug and only the back of the lug, enough said.
BB

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, relieve that surface. .030"will do.
Also have some room around your action screws, between them and the pillar.

Posts: 1220 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I usually put 2 layers of tape over the back of a tang prior to bedding - allows for built-in clearance - i find that anything touching the back of the action can lead to chips if the rifle isn't installed correctly

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the lug needs light relief a piece of electrical tape, is 20 thousands and works.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigbull:
The only vertical surface that should have contact is the back of the recoil lug and only the back of the lug, enough said.
BB

Enough said? you mean like the "Final word" the "Last Revelation" "Parting of the clouds" ????

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I for one would love to hear Duane's take on this. Duane, we're waiting and interested.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane's a legend and I really would be interested in his take. Frankly, I'll take it as Gospel.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... wasn't my intention to develop a "lesson plan", but ....A properly hand inletted gunstock will utilize that careful ionletting to spread recoil forces over the largst area practical.

The pre 64 M-70: the action cut behind the magazine well is a perfect place to help absorb recoil...wth a cross bolt, theis area can and should be inletted tighly, On th POST 64, that cut is an even better area for tight inleting.

Of course, the recoil lug should be inletted while at the same time compressing the wood at the rear

Bottopm metal ..same thing,,,tightly inletted and the fore and aft end of the magaine itself should be inletted snugly

And speaking of th reccoil lug, one should take a scrape in the middle to allow rcoil to transfer to the edges, beause from there on back..totally supported by the wood clear length of the action.

That rounded point the rear of a M70 : this should not quite touch, (pretty thin here), but no need for a huge gap either.

Guard screws for a sporter shold be pretty snug...you want contact all along the action to he wood .

These ideas are not new...the same is discussed in books from Clyde Baker, Dae Wesbook. etc .

I'll add here that I do not use glass in ANY caliber. Built many 416's, 458's and 500's that have survived at least 200 rounds that I know of.

Admittedly, I've had one client, a Tanzania PH. that had two failures on his "custom stocked" 460 Weatherby...and just insisted on glass bedding...What the hell!

Keep in mind that I'm talking about sporters....The target/bench rest guy will most likely do things a bit differently

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane for the tutorial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not what I knew that was my undoing, it's what I knew that was not so...

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote