THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .425 Westley Richards - Range Report

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.425 Westley Richards - Range Report Login/Join

posted
I recently aquired a nice .425 Westly Richards with a 24" barrel built on a Mauser 98 Action.

There is very limited loading data but I did find a reference on the web for 80.0 gr of IMR 4895 using a 410gr. Barnes Original bulltes. I was hoping to develop a load using one of the Hodgdon Extreme powders as they claim to be less temperature sensitive than other powders on the market. In hopes of making the world a better place I post the following loading data from a recent visit to the range:

Bullet - 410gr Barnes original (also tried 410gr Woodliegh Solid with no difference in velocities)
Primer - Federal 215M
Cases - Bertram Brass as well as some cases made by "masterifleman" out of 375 RUM (No difference)
Altitude - 5,025 feet above sea level
Temp - 90 degrees
Humidity - 27%
Chronograph - Crony C

75.0 gr H4895 produced an average velocity of 2,468 fps with a slight feel to the bolt ... I never did bother to try 80 grs of 4895!

74.0 gr of VARGET - produced an average velocity of 2,342 fps

75.0 gr of VARGET - produced an average velocity of 2,408 fps. (note the first shot was 2,369 fps and the rest were 2,402 - 2,414 fps.

There were no extraction problems whatsoever with any of the VARGET loads even when the rifle got hot.

Hope this helps ...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SWEET!!
thanks for the report

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
How about feeding from the magazine? I've "heard" that the "super-rebated rim" design can cause a problem in a Mauser action....... (Never seen a real .425 W.R. in person.)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report with helpful powder sugestions. Recoil at velocities of 2400 fps or below is tolderable with that rifle. Extraction is also not a problem. Nice work on the brass.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by induna jr.:
I recently aquired a nice .425 Westly Richards with a 24" barrel built on a Mauser 98 Action.

There is very limited loading data but I did find a reference on the web for 80.0 gr of IMR 4895 using a 410gr. Barnes Original bulltes. I was hoping to develop a load using one of the Hodgdon Extreme powders as they claim to be less temperature sensitive than other powders on the market. In hopes of making the world a better place I post the following loading data from a recent visit to the range:

Bullet - 410gr Barnes original (also tried 410gr Woodliegh Solid with no difference in velocities)
Primer - Federal 215M
Cases - Bertram Brass as well as some cases made by "masterifleman" out of 375 RUM (No difference)
Altitude - 5,025 feet above sea level
Temp - 90 degrees
Humidity - 27%
Chronograph - Crony C

75.0 gr H4895 produced an average velocity of 2,468 fps with a slight feel to the bolt ... I never did bother to try 80 grs of 4895!

74.0 gr of VARGET - produced an average velocity of 2,342 fps

75.0 gr of VARGET - produced an average velocity of 2,408 fps. (note the first shot was 2,369 fps and the rest were 2,402 - 2,414 fps.

There were no extraction problems whatsoever with any of the VARGET loads even when the rifle got hot.

Hope this helps ...

Where is the pictures
boohoo

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to see a pic of theis .425 CRYBABY

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 425 on a VZ 24 I have finished the metal work on, but have been putting off the stock work for a year.

You mention Bertram brass and brass made from RUM. I also have both. The Bertram is awful; rough and grainy, and so hard you can hardly resize factory new cases. If you anneal, it goes easy, but that is ridiculous on new brass at that price.

How are you using both types? I was playing with the RUM brass since I planned to find a second bolt that headspaces properly then open it up for the RUM. Since you didn't mention this, I presume you are turning down the head of the RUM cases, but that sort of negates the idea of using them, since you end up with the "super rebate" again.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

Sorry Folks,

Did not know that pictures would be wanted here you all go (will try to insert some pcitures):

This is the rifle -

If this works I will post some other pictures ...

induna jr.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
I have a 425 on a VZ 24 I have finished the metal work on, but have been putting off the stock work for a year.

You mention Bertram brass and brass made from RUM. I also have both. The Bertram is awful; rough and grainy, and so hard you can hardly resize factory new cases. If you anneal, it goes easy, but that is ridiculous on new brass at that price.

How are you using both types? I was playing with the RUM brass since I planned to find a second bolt that headspaces properly then open it up for the RUM. Since you didn't mention this, I presume you are turning down the head of the RUM cases, but that sort of negates the idea of using them, since you end up with the "super rebate" again.

Art S:

I found that the qualitly of the Bertram Brass left much to be desired. I had to clean up all of the primer pockets and flash holes on every case. Some of the flash holes were completely blocked. As for the brass based on the .375 cases a good friend "masterrifleman" made a cutting tool and turned the bases on his lathe. We then ran the cases through a 404 Jeffery die, belled the mouth and then ran them through the 425 resizing die. Finally we had to trim about 1/4 inche off of each case.

Here is are some action shots of the brass being made -

Here is the cutting tool and the jig that MaterRifleman made to turn down the bases:

This is a shot of the case after it was put through the 404 Jeffery die and just before resizing in the 425 die:

This is the case after sucessfully exiting the 425 resizing die:

As I mentioned, the cases were about .300 too long and I lost patience with the hand cranked Forester case trimmer so we rigged up a cordless drill to do all of the work. It ran down the battery but saved us lots of blisters and made quick work of trimming the cases:

This is what happens when things go wrong. I should say that these are the only cases that we lost out of the 100 375 RUM cases that we started with. The case on the right is what happens when you try to go from 375 RUM directly to 425 - (Not recommended):

The cases work great and are better than the BB brass that I have.

No, I have not bothered to anneal the case necks yet but will so if needed.

induna jr.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
How about feeding from the magazine? I've "heard" that the "super-rebated rim" design can cause a problem in a Mauser action....... (Never seen a real .425 W.R. in person.)

El Deguello,

To be honest I had the same fear to I loaded the magazine with four shots of each load to be tested. I did not have any issue whatsoever with feeding of follow-on rounds - they fed flawlessly. I did notice that the soft nose (Barns Original) of the last round had a distinct crease about 3/8" long 1/16" deep and about 1/8" wide in the lead which I believe was due to the recoil that the rounds in the magazine experience. I will have to investigate. I put a crimp on all of the test loads and verified that the recoil did not drive the bullets furhter into the cases during testing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two questions, please:

1. Was the .425 Westley Richards originated before the 1905 date of the .404 Jeffery?

2. Am I the only one who cannot see the pictures posted by induna jr.?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can´t see ém either

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrwhite:
I can´t see ém either

That answers one question.

A look around suggests maybe 1908 was the date of origin for the .425 WR?

The .404 Jeffery and the 9.3x62mm Mauser both came out in 1905.

1905 was a very good year.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrwhite:
I can´t see ém either

I cannot get a picture.

Is this an original WR or custom built rifle?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I figured out why the photos show up great for me and for nobody else. The images have to be inserted via a URL (web link) and cannot be cut/pasted into the middle of the message. Since the images are on my system and not generally available via a public web address they show up nicely for me but for nobody else. I went through the help and it appears that I have to have permissions to create a photo album (which I don't have). If anyone could provide some tips or assistance I would be happy to repost. The gun is an original WR.

Sorry about the blank photos ...

induna jr.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:

El Deguello,

To be honest I had the same fear to I loaded the magazine with four shots of each load to be tested. I did not have any issue whatsoever with feeding of follow-on rounds - they fed flawlessly. I did notice that the soft nose (Barns Original) of the last round had a distinct crease about 3/8" long 1/16" deep and about 1/8" wide in the lead which I believe was due to the recoil that the rounds in the magazine experience. I will have to investigate. I put a crimp on all of the test loads and verified that the recoil did not drive the bullets furhter into the cases during testing.

That's great! Good luck with that rifle!

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I figured out why the photos show up great for me and for nobody else. The images have to be inserted via a URL (web link) and cannot be cut/pasted into the middle of the message. Since the images are on my system and not generally available via a public web address they show up nicely for me but for nobody else. I went through the help and it appears that I have to have permissions to create a photo album (which I don't have). If anyone could provide some tips or assistance I would be happy to repost. The gun is an original WR.

Sorry about the blank photos ...

induna jr.

Sign up for a free Photobucket account, put all the pictures you want to post on that account, then use the bottom address for posting on this board.... http://smg.photobucket.com

Check the "properties" of this picture........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very helpful... thanks

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken Stewart makes perfect cases and will mail them anywhere.he can be contacted at stewbullets@mweb.co.ca I love my 425.Happy hunting with yours.

Posts: 205 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With Quote